Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You are being mislead because I never proposed to trade Demko and Petersson for Byram. That trade offer came from an Avs fan and I had to chime in because it was beyond ridiculous. I would never trade Demko anywhere for anything because he is our MVP this season.

And this is supposed to somehow explain why you think it's a problem that Avs fans are content to see what the current roster can do, and aren't interested in the bad trade proposals that constantly get made by non-Avs fans? Or are you just pretending that a hyperbolic response to yet another bad trade proposal by a non-Avs fan is something other than an obviously hyperbolic response, in order to somehow justify your claim that Avs fans don't know their own team well enough to be capable of assessing what they need in a trade?

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Guess you haven’t watched him at all this season? 9 points in 13 games, over 20 minutes a night. Even if he doesn’t improve what he is today he’s already a 1st pairing defenseman. 20 year old first pairing defenseman, so overrated. 1st pairing is his floor at this point, he’s already reached that level.
I don't doubt he's a very good player. I'm just saying he's played 32 games in the NHL. Looking like a top pair dman for 13 of them. Still a long way to go to reach his potential. I think he will, it's just not a guarantee.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
If our goalie is still an issue by the deadline does Sakic take a look at Quick? Not really good with numbers and all so I don't know if he fits cap wise. Also what would LA be looking as trade value?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
So just dismissive blanket statements from you then?

Not a very thoughtful response.

I'm a Canucks fan, but I pay attention to the league and have done so for 26 years. So vague condescension from you doesn't really pan water for me.

You don't think Demko is elite? What is it about his style that you don't like? Where do you think he gets beat too often? Are you worried about his lateral movement? Game reads? Reflexes? Rebounds?

But you don't have an answer because you have no idea. I know you're knowledgeable in hockey in some areas from reading your posts, but agenda driven diminishing of good players (which I guarantee you can't back up, but by all means have at it), is a bad look. It threatens the credibility that you build with your good takes.

I'm not arguing that you should trade Byram for him. I wouldn't trade Demko for Byram, but if I was Colorado I wouldn't make the deal either, Byram is a stud.

But vague dismissiveness based on a blanket statement about fans just isn't really adding anything.

Out of curiosity, what part of this is supposed to be empirical evidence that Demko is a "top 5ish goaltender in the league"? Is your entire case for him being a top 5 goalie really just "prove me wrong"?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Demko is a top 5-10 netminder in the league...
26 years old, signed to a reasonable contract.

There isn't really an alternate definition of "franchise goaltender" that I'm aware of.

What has Demko done to prove himself more than:

Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Campbell, Jarry, Markstrom, Gibson, Andersen, Sorokin, Saros, Lehner, Fleury, Hart, Bobrovsky, etc.

I'm sure you can make a case that Demko is better than some of these names, but I don't see how he is clearly better than the majority of these goalies.

Reactions: Avaholic29

nergish

Jun 1, 2019

Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Campbell, Jarry, Markstrom, Gibson, Andersen, Sorokin, Saros, Lehner, Fleury, Hart, Bobrovsky, etc.

I'm sure you can make a case that Demko is better than some of these names, but I don't see how he is clearly better than the majority of these goalies.

While it's all extremely subjective - I'd say he's notably better than quite a few of those names, to be honest...
Tristan Jarry, really?

Hard to compare with more proven guys like Fleury, Bob, Vasy, of course. But the first two names are not exactly at the top of their games in 2021.

Just as Shesterkin and Sorokin are, Demko is a guy who was groomed to absolute perfection and has been a top 5-10 goaltender in every single league he's played.

He plays a fairly quiet game, but in a good way. Thatcher is not as loud as those highly touted Russians in his age class, but he is every bit as dependable.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
While it's all extremely subjective - I'd say he's notably better than quite a few of those names, to be honest...
Tristan Jarry, really?

Hard to compare with more proven guys like Fleury, Bob, Vasy, of course. But the first two names are not exactly at the top of their games in 2021.

Just as Shesterkin and Sorokin are, Demko is a guy who was groomed to absolute perfection and has been a top 5-10 goaltender in every single league he's played.

He plays a fairly quiet game, but in a good way. Thatcher is not as loud as those highly touted Russians in his age class, but he is every bit as dependable.

i think the argument was demko is not in the top 5 nhl goaltenders. There is absolutely nothing to back up that claim. Jarry has better numbers, although I’d pick demko personally it’s a tough sell trying to make him out to be something he isn’t (yet).

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019

Demko has far and away faced and saved the most amount of shots in the league. Everyone below is within 5-10 shots of eachother, Demko has faced about 70 more shots than the next guy to him. I don't know the exact underlying numbers but I bet hes also tops for facing the most high danger scoring chances against too, all while still maintaining a .920 save percentage. Now I don't know if that alone makes Demko a top 5 goalie, but its definitely worth noting. Out of all the guys you listed I would say the only ones who are better are Vasilevskiy, Markstrom and maybe Bobrovsky especially this season. Shesterkin might be better too but they are both young into their respective careers.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Out of curiosity, what part of this is supposed to be empirical evidence that Demko is a "top 5ish goaltender in the league"? Is your entire case for him being a top 5 goalie really just "prove me wrong"?
I have watched probably 98% of available Canucks games since 1994 and I frequently watch other games as well. I would like to think I have some idea of what good goaltending looks like.

The Canucks have been a lot better under Boudreau, prior to that we were getting absolutely shelled every single game for about 80 games (last year and this year) and the only thing keeping scores respectable was Thatcher Demko.

If you want to be behind the times you can wait until the national media catches up and you see his name in the top 5 for awards voting. I figured hfboards was for people who actively watch hockey and derive their own opinions and also use crowdsourcing to understand the league better than they would if they weren't speaking with people from 31 other cities about their hockey teams, but you do you.

It's very much like if I said "Andrei Burakovsky is massively overrated (just an example)". And my only 'proof' was that Avs fans overrate their players.
Then an Avs fan says, 'okay let me entertain your opinion, why do you think he is overrated? Do you think linemates draw a lot of attention leaving him space? Do you think he gets more pp time than he would elsewhere?' etc.

And I didn't even pretend to have an opinion other than 'lolz avs fans overrate their players.'

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I have watched probably 98% of available Canucks games since 1994 and I frequently watch other games as well. I would like to think I have some idea of what good goaltending looks like.

The Canucks have been a lot better under Boudreau, prior to that we were getting absolutely shelled every single game for about 80 games (last year and this year) and the only thing keeping scores respectable was Thatcher Demko.

If you want to be behind the times you can wait until the national media catches up and you see his name in the top 5 for awards voting. I figured hfboards was for people who actively watch hockey and derive their own opinions and also use crowdsourcing to understand the league better than they would if they weren't speaking with people from 31 other cities about their hockey teams, but you do you.

It's very much like if I said "Andrei Burakovsky is massively overrated (just an example)". And my only 'proof' was that Avs fans overrate their players.
Then an Avs fan says, 'okay let me entertain your opinion, why do you think he is overrated? Do you think linemates draw a lot of attention leaving him space? Do you think he gets more pp time than he would elsewhere?' etc.

And I didn't even pretend to have an opinion other than 'lolz avs fans overrate their players.'

You explicitly stated that Demko is a "top 5ish goaltender in the league. Period." Why make that claim if you can't support it with empirical evidence and have to rely solely on excuses to pretend it must be true?

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Demko has far and away faced and saved the most amount of shots in the league. Everyone below is within 5-10 shots of eachother, Demko has faced about 70 more shots than the next guy to him. I don't know the exact underlying numbers but I bet hes also tops for facing the most high danger scoring chances against too, all while still maintaining a .920 save percentage. Now I don't know if that alone makes Demko a top 5 goalie, but its definitely worth noting. Out of all the guys you listed I would say the only ones who are better are Vasilevskiy, Markstrom and maybe Bobrovsky especially this season. Shesterkin might be better too but they are both young into their respective careers.

97 career games played, 2.86 GAA and .913 sv%, 47-42 record. He doesn’t sniff the top 5. Maybe in the last few weeks if that’s what you mean. He will no doubt be a stud for a long time to come but no one is naming demko in a top 5 except Canuck fans

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
97 career games played, 2.86 GAA and .913 sv%, 47-42 record. He doesn’t sniff the top 5. Maybe in the last few weeks if that’s what you mean. He will no doubt be a stud for a long time to come but no one is naming demko in a top 5 except Canuck fans
I think you need to re-read my post and if you still don't see it then you need better reading comprehension. Also, we live in a new age were boxscore stats are not the be all end all of of analyzing a player.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Price will be ready in a couple of weeks, we'll talk :naughty:
About Lehkonen? I suppose I guess. He’s kinda interesting from the Habs roster and about the only Habs player that vaguely fits an Avs need.

Danault was (past tense) your best asset to a team like the Avs.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think you need to re-read my post and if you still don't see it then you need better reading comprehension. Also, we live in a new age were boxscore stats are not the be all end all of of analyzing a player.
We live in an era where every team in the NHL has analytics staffs. Every team spends seven figures per year on this as part of their front office decision making apparatus.

What analytics tell us Demko is a top 5 goalie? Even top 10? Please don’t say the eye test on his lateral movement.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad