Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I agree, which is why I'm thinking they'd want a fringe starter, and not Carter Hutton. Someone who can keep it respectable, but isn't expected to steal many games. Maybe a Bernier or Mrazek, or that kind of 1b level guy. Or a guy with injury issues, since losing their starter to injury would be the best of both worlds. They can still pretend they are doing something, while getting the benefits of purposefully tanking.

And, I don't see why they'd even consider spending $21m on retention to only save <=$2.25m in cap space per season, while not even getting the market value of the retention back in return. The only reason that kind of decision even remotely makes sense to me is if they are purposefully tanking, and view the retention as the cost of a near certain top 3 pick. I don't see how to justify it otherwise.
Ok so let's say they go after a 1B type like Koskinen and can get him for 2M. With 5M retention on Price that would still be 2M for Koskinen, Allen's salary (2.5? I don't remember) and Prices 5M buyout. Can you imagine having 10M in cap space to goalies and all you have is an Allen/Koskinen pair? Ouch.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Ok so let's say they go after a 1B type like Koskinen and can get him for 2M. With 5M retention on Price that would still be 2M for Koskinen, Allen's salary (2.5? I don't remember) and Prices 5M buyout. Can you imagine having 10M in cap space to goalies and all you have is an Allen/Koskinen pair? Ouch.

It's not only just the 10M in cap space, you're also paying Price $21m to play somewhere else so you can have that Allen/Koskinen pair. Like I said, the only way that makes any sense is if the primary goal is to have a good chance at the next 4 1OA picks.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Hey, we'll take him if the Avs want to sell low. I'd really question Sakic if he already wanted to jump ship on his goalie acquisition. That's way too reactionary.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Such a funny guy. Didnt k ow Byram is worth a franchise goalie and a calder winner and #1 center. Should we also give you Hughes and my first born as a small add? Byram has not achieved anything yet as a rookie so slow your role :rolleyes:
franchise goalie lol, hilarious

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Demko is definitely a top 5 goalie and Canucks wont trade him. Byram is way too overrated if you think he can haul Petersson and Demko. JR would not trade Demko straight up for Byram one on one nevermind adding Petersson? hilarious. Its very tough to find a young franchise goalie on a cheap contract. Now watch how good the Canucks are, am definitely enjoying 6-0 under Bruce. The team was lead by a blind mouse in Green now we have an NHL level coach.
keep your franchise goalie :laugh:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
You can lol all you want but he is Canucks franchise goalie as was said by JR and Bruce. I guess all of those guys have no clue except you :rolleyes:

Funny thing is Demko has proven that he is that franchise goalie and you dont think he is but 30 games of Byram has made you think that Byram has value similar to a Norris winner.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I totally agree with you And Avs fans claim we are outrageous in our ask for our players.
I dont believe in what Avs fans say, as they tend to vastly overrate their own players while vastly underrating players outside of Avs team. Basically if they were a GM no trade would be made.

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I dont believe in what Avs fans say, as they tend to vastly overrate their own players while vastly underrating players outside of Avs team. Basically if they were a GM no trade would be made.

The Avs were one of the best teams in the league last year, and the pre-season Cup favorites among a lot of experts. We're currently sitting 2nd in the West, and are 7-2-1 in our last ten games. And we still haven't seen a game this year where we have had everyone healthy.

Why exactly would we be looking to make changes to something that seems to be working, despite all the injuries? Should we panic because we haven't won the Cup in our first 2 attempts as a non-wild card team?

Reactions: Alienblood

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Goalies don’t have much value in trades while young D are like gold in this league. You do know Schneider was traded for a 1st round pick after a .927SV% season right? When was the last time a goalie was traded for a lot?
First of all Schneider was traded for 9th overall that gave us Horvat which was very high value and Schneider was not as dominant and healthy as Demko is. Plus Schneider didnt not play as a sole number 1 goalie as long as Demko did with th Canucks during time of the trade so Demko is much more proven both in regular season and playoffs.
Also you are wrong about young franchise goalies like Demko having lower value than skaters like Byram. If Schneider is traded for 9th overall which landed Horvat which I assume equals to value of Byram then Demko would have more value than Byram in a trade. The fact that you say goalies dont have much value in trades is because no goalie like Demko is ever available for a trade. Name me a team that traded a goalie like Demko where the goalie was their only #1?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The Avs were one of the best teams in the league last year, and the pre-season Cup favorites among a lot of experts. We're currently sitting 2nd in the West, and are 7-2-1 in our last ten games. And we still haven't seen a game this year where we have had everyone healthy.

Why exactly would we be looking to make changes to something that seems to be working, despite all the injuries? Should we panic because we haven't won the Cup in our first 2 attempts as a non-wild card team?
You are being mislead because I never proposed to trade Demko and Petersson for Byram. That trade offer came from an Avs fan and I had to chime in because it was beyond ridiculous. I would never trade Demko anywhere for anything because he is our MVP this season.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
First of all Schneider was traded for 9th overall that gave us Horvat which was very high value and Schneider was not as dominant and healthy as Demko is. Plus Schneider didnt not play as a sole number 1 goalie as long as Demko did with th Canucks during time of the trade so Demko is much more proven both in regular season and playoffs.
Also you are wrong about young franchise goalies like Demko having lower value than skaters like Byram. If Schneider is traded for 9th overall which landed Horvat which I assume equals to value of Byram then Demko would have more value than Byram in a trade. The fact that you say goalies dont have much value in trades is because no goalie like Demko is ever available for a trade. Name me a team that traded a goalie like Demko where the goalie was their only #1?
Why would the 9th overall pick have more value than Byram? He was drafted 4th overall and have done nothing to lower his value.

Byram is a 20 year old capable of playing on the top pairing already, he had 9 points in 13 games this year without PP1 time. Look at his TOI the last 5 games, and that’s on a contender not on a bottom feeder where he’s spoon fed top pairing minutes. I have a feeling you just don’t know how good Byram is.

Not even sure why we’re discussing this, 20 year old top pairing defenseman are simply not available for trade in this league. Defenseman are like gold in this league, did you not see all the contracts that were handed out this season?

Also Demko has not won any individual or team awards in his life, long ways to go before he’s considered a franchise goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienblood

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
From what i have been reading is they will do nothing because goaltending isn't an issue.

Last edited:

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Bryam to Van for Demko and small add?
No chance would I trade Demko for Byram straight up. Byram is all hype at this point. Somewhat warranted as his ceiling is quite high - but all speculation right now.
Demko is legitimately one of the best goalies in the NHL as of right now.

If Byram had been drafted by a team like Arizona we'd barely hear about him. It's just cause everyone has a massive boner for Colorado.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
The value placed on Byram right now is pretty funny. So overrated.
The reason they can't consider trading him is just FOMO.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019

Demko is a top 5-10 netminder in the league...
26 years old, signed to a reasonable contract.

There isn't really an alternate definition of "franchise goaltender" that I'm aware of.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No chance would I trade Demko for Byram straight up. Byram is all hype at this point. Somewhat warranted as his ceiling is quite high - but all speculation right now.
Demko is legitimately one of the best goalies in the NHL as of right now.

If Byram had been drafted by a team like Arizona we'd barely hear about him. It's just cause everyone has a massive boner for Colorado.
Guess you haven’t watched him at all this season? 9 points in 13 games, over 20 minutes a night. Even if he doesn’t improve what he is today he’s already a 1st pairing defenseman. 20 year old first pairing defenseman, so overrated. 1st pairing is his floor at this point, he’s already reached that level.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Funny that’s what everyone said about the Duchene trade.

This conversation is pointless either way, neither Byram or Demko are getting traded. Avs are sticking with Kuemper this year, he’s on a 4 game winning streak with a .920SV % in those games.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

:laugh: the same thing can be said about every fan base on HF.

I mean look at you, you're calling Demko a franchise goalie despite the face he's never even had a Vezina nomination to his name yet, not is he a Top 10 goalie in GAA or Sv% and his advanced numbers are even worse.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The Price stuff is an absolute pipe dream by Habs fans. I get it, they have nothing to hope for this year and it's incredibly frustrating, but this ain't it.

If I'm Sakic, I'm looking into Fleury at the deadline. No long term commitment, probably can be had for a 2nd and a B prospect.

The Canucks are not likely to be a serious cup contender over the next couple of years and I would like to see the Avs win one with this core. I think it is really stupid to risk playing a 3rd stringer again just to save a 2nd rounder.

You get a window like this about once every 25 years (many teams not even that), it's not the time to hoard assets.

Obviously I'm not saying you should deal Byram or anything, that's looney tunes. But I strongly recommend shoring up goaltending.

Reactions: Mac Attack

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
:laugh: the same thing can be said about every fan base on HF.

I mean look at you, you're calling Demko a franchise goalie despite the face he's never even had a Vezina nomination to his name yet, not is he a Top 10 goalie in GAA or Sv% and his advanced numbers are even worse.
Watch the games or listen to respected analysts. Demko is a top 5ish goaltender in the league. Period.

That said, I wouldn't trade him for Byram, nor should you trade Byram for him if he is available.

But don't let some ill thought out trade proposals confuse you about Demko's value.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Watch the games or listen to respected analysts. Demko is a top 5ish goaltender in the league. Period.

That said, I wouldn't trade him for Byram, nor should you trade Byram for him if he is available.

But don't let some ill thought out trade proposals confuse you about Demko's value.

:laugh:

Just like I said. All fans overrate players from the team they cheer for.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
:laugh:

Just like I said. All fans overrate players from the team they cheer for.
So just dismissive blanket statements from you then?

Not a very thoughtful response.

I'm a Canucks fan, but I pay attention to the league and have done so for 26 years. So vague condescension from you doesn't really pan water for me.

You don't think Demko is elite? What is it about his style that you don't like? Where do you think he gets beat too often? Are you worried about his lateral movement? Game reads? Reflexes? Rebounds?

But you don't have an answer because you have no idea. I know you're knowledgeable in hockey in some areas from reading your posts, but agenda driven diminishing of good players (which I guarantee you can't back up, but by all means have at it), is a bad look. It threatens the credibility that you build with your good takes.

I'm not arguing that you should trade Byram for him. I wouldn't trade Demko for Byram, but if I was Colorado I wouldn't make the deal either, Byram is a stud.

But vague dismissiveness based on a blanket statement about fans just isn't really adding anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad