Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I agree completely. You keep the better player, and move the one who's not as valuable.

If you take the other tack, the first two players you move are Price and Subban. How smart is that?...

While I don't agree with trading Eller I think people are taking it out of context.

You have to give to get and Eller is a better trading chip in a package than DD is.

If you're going to trade Eller for crap there's no point. It should be for an upgrade.

Now if you trade Subban or Price...it should also be for an upgrade...lucky for us I doubt there is much of an upgrade on those two.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You don't ever trade PK or Price unless there's an unspoken and urgent reason to do so. That's fantasy.

Unless Eller brings a Dman better than Emelin, I wouldn't consider a deal. At least until we established if DD could succeed as centre or winger on the third line.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
While I don't agree with trading Eller I think people are taking it out of context.

You have to give to get and Eller is a better trading chip in a package than DD is.

If you're going to trade Eller for crap there's no point. It should be for an upgrade.

Now if you trade Subban or Price...it should also be for an upgrade...lucky for us I doubt there is much of an upgrade on those two.

keep the lesser player cause the other one is worth more... really ? :shakehead

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Chucky goes back to LW, DD goes back with Pacs, Eller goes back to #3C like nothing ever happened

Not what I want but what I expect

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

ZERO reason to trade Eller instead of DD. Eller is a player we're going to need if we want to go anywhere and we'd be better off without DD. It's like folks who are talking about trading Patches for this or that player... not worth the risk.

The idea is to get better now. You hang onto the core players and you build from there. Eller is a key piece for us and we should be looking at adding wingers for him. Deal picks and prospects and get the other side to absorb DD's cap hit. THAT's how it works if you want to win.

Savard's earlier comments about us going easy on DD because he's QC born tells me that he's putting language ahead of hockey sense. There's absolutely no logic in the argument he's put forth here and there's no ****ing reason at all to trade Eller over DD from a hockey point of view. We should be working to get stronger not weaker. So wtf is this guy talking about? Keep the French guy because... well, because he's french. That's about the sum of what this guy is really saying. 'Cause there's no other reason to want to build with this guy over Eller. None.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If we have a looming depth surplus at C why keep Desharnais who is not as valuable as Eller? We are EC contenders right now and we should keep the better players on the team, also with Ghetto our midget limit has been reached once again. Shipping Eller and keeping Desharnais would be a move backwards.

Chucky goes back to LW, DD goes back with Pacs, Eller goes back to #3C like nothing ever happened

So far we beat Van and LA with Galchenyuk playing #1C, if we had success in the four games remaining before Christmas it would be harder for Therrien to re-install Desharnais there.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I don't see it happening to be honest. The media is finally behind Galchenyuk playing center. We are finally getting some offense out of our lineup especially after the trouncing we gave LA. Therrien would look like a fool to go back to the old lineup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't see it happening to be honest. The media is finally behind Galchenyuk playing center. We are finally getting some offense out of our lineup especially after the trouncing we gave LA. Therrien would look like a fool to go back to the old lineup.
It's never stopped him before.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Therrien is consistent in being a giant buffoon.
Honestly who know what's going to happen when Eller comes back. DD could go back to Max and Chuck could be on the wing. Eller could be on the wing... I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban playing goalie. That's just how MT is.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It's never stopped him before.

Normally I would agree but this time the habs were on their way playing themselves straight out of the playoffs. Hard to see him going back to that. In the PGT grant mentioned inserting Eller in on the 4th line rolling four lines with Eller and DD acting as a 3a/3b. Sounds interesting and would allow MT to keep his golden boy at center.

Of course hopefully that goal Desharnais scored looking like Cammalleri made a case for trying him on the wing. Will be interesting to see how MT handles this.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Normally I would agree but this time the habs were on their way playing themselves straight out of the playoffs. Hard to see him going back to that. In the PGT grant mentioned inserting Eller in on the 4th line rolling four lines with Eller and DD acting as a 3a/3b. Sounds interesting and would allow MT to keep his golden boy at center.

Of course hopefully that goal Desharnais scored looking like Cammalleri made a case for trying him on the wing. Will be interesting to see how MT handles this.

I'm placing my bet on Therrien recognizing the tectonic shift in the roster and keeping the new lines. Unless there's a radical breakdown in the next week, I think we'll have Galchenyuk centering Pacioretty and Eller centering Desharnais.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm placing my bet on Therrien recognizing the tectonic shift in the roster and keeping the new lines. Unless there's a radical breakdown in the next week, I think we'll have Galchenyuk centering Pacioretty and Eller centering Desharnais.
We'll see.

Also get ready for Beaulieu to be sent back down once Allen comes back...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
keep the lesser player cause the other one is worth more... really ? :shakehead

Another word twist by ECW. This gets old.

Suppose I want say Eberle. I think Eller+ would attract the oilers more than DD+. As a result, I'd move Eller(depending on the +) to get the CLEAR better player and deal with DD afterwards. This does not mean you're forced to keep DD or whoever but my god, Eller isn't untouchable. If we get an upgrade for him, why wouldn't you?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
ZERO reason to trade Eller instead of DD. Eller is a player we're going to need if we want to go anywhere and we'd be better off without DD. It's like folks who are talking about trading Patches for this or that player... not worth the risk.

The idea is to get better now. You hang onto the core players and you build from there. Eller is a key piece for us and we should be looking at adding wingers for him. Deal picks and prospects and get the other side to absorb DD's cap hit. THAT's how it works if you want to win.

Savard's earlier comments about us going easy on DD because he's QC born tells me that he's putting language ahead of hockey sense. There's absolutely no logic in the argument he's put forth here and there's no ****ing reason at all to trade Eller over DD from a hockey point of view. We should be working to get stronger not weaker. So wtf is this guy talking about? Keep the French guy because... well, because he's french. That's about the sum of what this guy is really saying. 'Cause there's no other reason to want to build with this guy over Eller. None.

I'll use same example.

Eller+ gets us Eberle

DD+ gets us Gazdic.

Assuming the + is the same, we should trade DD right?

Dallas traded Eriksson, a big time player for them...to get Seguin! Uhm...imagine if there was a no trade Eriksson policy.

If Eller can net us an upgrade you do it. Same with DD and everyone else. Why is this even a discussion, it's implied with the term 'upgrade'.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
We'll see.

Also get ready for Beaulieu to be sent back down once Allen comes back...

Weaver. Not Allen. Weaver is injured.

Regarding what Savard said about the French connection. This entire organization is based on that. From ownership to management to the coaching staff.

Some are saying it doesn't make good hockey sense using "French" as a deciding factor for moves. Not sure if some people are ill informed but this organization has always done that. Bergevin and Therrien day hello.

Maybe another non-French hockey team might be what some people need to reduce their stress level.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'll use same example.

Eller+ gets us Eberle

DD+ gets us Gazdic.

Dallas traded Eriksson, a big time player for them...to get Seguin! Uhm...imagine if there was a no trade Eriksson policy.

If Eller can net us an upgrade you do it. Same with DD and everyone else. Why is this even a discussion, it's implied with the term 'upgrade'.
Exactly.

I would have hated to been on the Kings forum as they were trading for players that have won them two Cups. The fanboys probably were besides themselves.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'll use same example.

Eller+ gets us Eberle

DD+ gets us Gazdic.

Yes and if we can trade Galchenyuk to get Crosby, you do it.

Why is this even worth mentioning?
We can come up with a ton of different trade combination involving every single player on our team. Nobody ever said Eller is an untouchable.

This is more about who we should be looking to move. That's DD.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
I dont think Bervevin is in a panic to trade anyone.
Im betting money he is trying to figure out what kind of first line he can put together.
He has potentially 2/3 of a line similar to Shutt, Lemaire and Lafleur or 2/3 of a Geoffrion,Beliveau,Ferguson line. Odds are in favor of a Ferguson type player rather than a Lafleur.
So he will patiently let Galchenyk develop and look for the opportunity to get the suitable right winger for that first line.
Eller is valuable and Desharnais is ok as long as coach doesnt pressure them into being players they are not.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes and if we can trade Galchenyuk to get Crosby, you do it.

Why is this even worth mentioning?
We can come up with a ton of different trade combination involving every single player on our team. Nobody ever said Eller is an untouchable.

This is more about who we should be looking to move. That's DD.

Why is it worth complaining about? I replied in return, that's all.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'd try Eller on the wing again. I know that didn't work out in the past but, if I remember correctly, every time he was used on the wing, it was in a top-6 role. Could it be that he failed because he was put in a position where offensive contribution was expected of him, not because he was playing the wing? Besides, getting used to the wing isn't that difficult for a centerman.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I'd try Eller on the wing again. I know that didn't work out in the past but, if I remember correctly, every time he was used on the wing, it was in a top-6 role. Could it be that he failed because he was put in a position where offensive contribution was expected of him, not because he was playing the wing? Besides, getting used to the wing isn't that difficult for a centerman.

Just as likely as anything else.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
I'll use same example.

Eller+ gets us Eberle

DD+ gets us Gazdic.

Pretty easy to trade a pretty good winger + plenty of prospects (Smith, Morrow, Fraser) for a potential star center especially when you don't have one in the first place right? & especially when you have another star player in the making in Jamie Benn (I think Benn played center that year but I honestly think he's more of a winger).

Oh yeah, another thing to consider, the Dallas Stars were in a transition stage (fired the coach Gulutzan & GM Nieuwendyk) and replaced them with quality personel (Ruff & Nill). Jim Nill had to make a splash in order to compete with all the big teams within the division. He took the chance on Seguin and was big time rewarded for it. Something I will always wonder is if any other team was in the running for Tyler. If yes, what were the offers.

Alright back to Montreal Canadiens, I really like Eller in the position he plays right now (3C) and think he's the best overall 3C we had for years. One thing I'm pretty sure is that he's going to be there when playoff times come. Am I against trading him? No! Especially if you could packaged him in order to get us a bonafide winger that the team is lacking (outside of Paccioretty). However, if you trade him away for that winger, then what do you do in order to replace him? Play Desharnais as a 3C during the playoffs? If that's the plan for the Canadiens, then I will be big time baffled by that decision.

You can also trade for another 3C that is comparable to Eller (Anisimov, Hanzal, Sutter, Couturier, Stoll, etc...). However, don't you think you have to pay a premium for that ... especially if they're not really that available in the NHL? I keep hearing the name of Vermette. Do you really want a duo of Vermette & Plekanec vs the other centers in the conference during the playoffs? or even for the next upcoming years?

Bottom line, yes I would trade a package that include Eller for a bonafide star winger but you really need a plan to cover that 3C spot if you do so.

A lot of posters don't seem to remember last season's playoffs when the game is played at the highest level. Remember how certain key players of ours fared during that time? Not going to write names but you know who they are.

Anyways, always fun to read the different opinions on this board :)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll use same example.

Eller+ gets us Eberle

DD+ gets us Gazdic.

How the hell do you get an upgrade trading a like for like? It doesn't work that way. But okay sure, if we can get Sid Crosby for Eller I'm all for it. Good luck with that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Why would we move Eller from center? He's had the best possession numbers on the team among forwards in hard assignments. So we move him?

Why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad