Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Andrighetto to replace Eller? I don't see it because 1) Eller's much bigger and 2) Eller's a center.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pacioretty and Galchenyuk on the top line. I can bear Therrien's tinkering with the other lines as long as that duo stays together!

Makes sense, but now we have a new controversy. It seems like a panel of Danish hockey experts who only watched the one game tonight voted Pacioretty as 2nd line center and Desharnais as third line center. Of course, their local boy should be 1st line center.

Plekanec will have to share 4th line duties with Malhotra.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I'm open to sitting Malhotra and running Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Eller - Desharnais down the middle for a while. Eller's gotten to be almost as good as Malhotra at faceoffs, and he can actually move the puck up the ice effectively. When Malhotra's on the ice, our offense utterly dies. I understand that Malhotra's role is a defensive one, but his numbers are bad even for that role (we've scored a whopping 3 goals while he's been on the ice all season). Perhaps something like this:

67 - 27 - 11 (go-to offensive line, de facto #1)
49 - 14 - 58 (all-purpose line)
8 - 51 - 15 (exploitation line)
26 - 81 - 22 (all-purpose line)

Swap the wingers around on the bottom three lines to taste. I'd be inclined to keep 26 - 81 and 51 - 15 together, but other than those pairings, and the top line, I don't see any obvious unbreakable lines or pairs.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I fully expect Eller to play on the wing and Ghetto will be sent back to Hamilton.
This is probably what will happen, but Eller and DD could be interchageable on the wing depending on the situation...it's a pleasant problem once we have everyone healthy...for how long, who knows...

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Eller - Plekanec - Sekac as a shut-down two-way line is not that bad of an idea to me. Whenever another line falls off the charts, you switch it.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
This is probably what will happen, but Eller and DD could be interchageable on the wing depending on the situation...it's a pleasant problem once we have everyone healthy...for how long, who knows...

Interchangeable? DD played the most of all centres last night... when has that ever happened with Lars lmao.

Eller will never get the bigger end of the stick if the other guy holding it is DD.

HShahzad

Jan 23, 2014
Pacioretty is producing, Galchenyuk, Deharnais and Parenteau. Bournival is an offensive blackhole. Yes, he brings energy, but so does Prust and Weise. Both play better offensively than Bournival. Thing is, once we start facing tougher teams, Deharnais will never survive. Eller has the be the 3rd line C against top teams. Deharnais looked awesome against an AHL Team!

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Pacioretty – Galchenyuk – Gallagher
Plekanec – Eller – Sekac
Andrighetto – Desharnais – Parenteau
Bournival – Malhotra – Prust

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing Lars-Plek-Sekac together. That is a great two-way 2nd line with offensive punch and strong possession play, assuming Eller adjusts to the wing... Actually I would mind it but in preparing myself for when Therrien leaves DD at 3rd C.

Our 3rd line is going to be eaten alive by teams with strong two-way 3rd lines. Guys like Soderberg will have a field day vs DD in the playoffs. A strong 3rd line can usually be the difference in the playoffs when the top 2 lines neutralize eachother. And while DD is great at exploiting weak 3rd lines and bottom pairings on weaker teams, he'll be out of place in the playoffs.

It's no coincidence teams are loading up in size and skill down the middle.

We'll see how this plays out... But exploitation 3rd line is not the way to go.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Why is plekanec on the wing???

Because Eller has the league's fourth highest FO%. Plus I wonder if it would allow Pleky to conserve energy so that he is not gassed come playoff time. Would be a dynamite of a shutdown line. Basically our version of Marleau - Couture.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Did Eller ever played more than our top 2 center...did he ever had more PP than them?
Even in the PO where he was dominant.

DD look good in those games lately offensively. Was a lot more difficult in his own zone.
DD get more PP time than Plekanec in all 3 of those games. Even if Plekanec started each games as our best points producer this year. That's a great idea to put another slap in the face of Plekanec and continue like this...like many suggest.

DD looked good, in fact better than i ever expected, i admitted.

But Eller doesn'T take PP time away from our top two lines. He doesn't take away offensive games situations from the top lines.....he take defensive load away from them....AND looked just as good, and even better.

I still don't see why and how Desharnais could take Eller's spot away from him while taking a ******** of offensive games situations from our top two lines.

But in the other hands.....at this point....not one of them deserve to be brushed aside. It will be a lot more about role than anything.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
Chuckie Patches Gally
Pleks Pap Prust
MM bournival Weise
I would try since we are not getting rid of DD...
Eller Sekac DD as second scoring line....DD on the wing with 2 guys with size.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Our 3rd line is going to be eaten alive by teams with strong two-way 3rd lines. Guys like Soderberg will have a field day vs DD in the playoffs.

Eaten alive? DD has not been eaten alive all season yet. But even if a line of DD-MAP-Ghetto would be eaten alive, there are options. You can switch Weise and Parenteau, or you can put Prust on LW, or you can do both.

8-51-22 is a decent playoff third line that should not get eaten alive. It leaves 49-20-15 for the fourth line. Or if the LW of the other team is not that physical, you can go with 8-51-15 and 49-20-22.

The only way I like Eller as a permanent 3rd line center is if we plug the hole on top-6 wing either via trade (including rental) or via Andrighetto progressing quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad