Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
OK, explain Pleks then.

Or Chucky. Or Pacioretty, Gallagher, Sekac, Prust (played a lot on the black hole line), Weise, PAP. All of those Habs forwards have more assists than Eller.

Other players being good passers doesn't mean Eller is bad at that or a puck hog. Just 2 years ago he was 3rd in assist behing PK and Pacioretty and if you didn't see his playmaking ability last playoffs I don't know what to tell you.

He's not a great playmaker by any means but he's not a puckhog. It sometimes looks this way because he's good enough not to have to dump the puck all the time. Then he waits for somebody to pass it to, something that doesn't happen a lot with the wingers he's had this year (other than Sekac and guess what, they got a lot of offensive opportunity together).

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
André Savard mentions that: If Galchenyuk can play center, he would trade Eller. He would trade Eller rather than DD because he has more value than DD in the market. Any thoughts?

http://www.rds.ca/vidéos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/s30-en-prolongation-le-ch-doit-transiger-3.1109958

Savard has lost his mind. Last time he said that people shouldn't be too critical of DD despite his 0 goal in 48gp at 5 on 5 because he's Qc born and we don't have many of those.
So he's extremely bias and makes no sense.

If Eller has more value it's because he's better. With that logic, trade Galchenyuk.

DD is the obvious one out.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
If the goal is to win the cup why do you trade superior players?

I'm really tempted to see plekanec and pacioretty together 5 on 5. In shorthanded situations, they really seem to play off each other well, and i think it would translate famously 5 on 5. Problem is that its hard to find 3 balanced lines in this setup.

Give it a shot. I always seem to end up with a 3rd line that leaves something to be desired.

Pacioretty-plekanec-gallagher
Sekac-eller-galchenyuk
Bournival-desharnais-parenteau
Prust-malhotra-weise

(I know andrighetto is not in there but I still don't think he will be in the lineup permanently this season).

As for eller, I love how he works the boards with sekac. Sekac seems to look good anywhere in the lineup but I think he's a great fit for eller.

Last edited:

Matteus

May 11, 2009
It's all about how guys play late in the season.
How did Lars play late last season, and the season before?
That's right... Lars is a keeper!

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
It's all about how guys play late in the season.
How did Lars play late last season, and the season before?
That's right... Lars is a keeper!

Very true Lars was our best forward in the playoffs last year.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
We finally got Galch playing C...but seems there are a few that want Eller centering Galch...so...how many do want Eller centering Galch?
Personally, unless there are injuries in the C position, or Eller is playing wing (assuming, given time, he can play wing)...I would much rather have Eller playing on the 3rd line.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
We finally got Galch playing C...but seems there are a few that want Eller centering Galch...so...how many do want Eller centering Galch?
Personally, unless there are injuries in the C position, or Eller is playing wing (assuming, given time, he can play wing)...I would much rather have Eller playing on the 3rd line.

One thing I don't want is to see eller on the wing. Im all for having galchenyuk at centre, but I had trouble putting him with the right players if I want pacioretty with plekanec.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
One thing I don't want is to see eller on the wing. Im all for having galchenyuk at centre, but I had trouble putting him with the right players if I want pacioretty with plekanec.

The Pleks, Sekac, Andrighetto line has been good. No reason to break it up.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The Pleks, Sekac, Andrighetto line has been good. No reason to break it up.

Andrighetto can't play second line minutes long-term, not yet. And really, he was pretty invisible most of the three games he played, despite being opportunistic and getting two goals on very few shots.

I'd be ok with keeping him for the third line mix and to push the other bottom-6 guys, but am not ready to annoint him as a second liner in the NHL just three weeks after he was scratched in the AHL for inconsistency.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Andrighetto can't play second line minutes long-term, not yet. And really, he was pretty invisible most of the three games he played, despite being opportunistic and getting two goals on very few shots.

I'd be ok with keeping him for the third line mix and to push the other bottom-6 guys, but am not ready to annoint him as a second liner in the NHL just three weeks after he was scratched in the AHL for inconsistency.

Not true. He was scratched for horrawful coaching.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Invisible? That's a little harsh of you. He's done pretty well for the role he's been given. For now he can stay there and we'll see how that develops.
We can always put Parenteau up there instead.

As for him being scratched, well that was a month ago. But from what I'm hearing, Lefebvre is terrible and most were very surprised by the move.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Invisible? That's a little harsh of you. He's done pretty well for the role he's been given. For now he can stay there and we'll see how that develops. We can always put Parenteau up there instead.

As for him being scratched, well that was a month ago. But from what I'm hearing, Lefebvre is terrible and most were very surprised by the move.

I'm not out to "get" Ghetto. I'm just saying that a guy like Sekac has shown more, and I can now consider him 2nd line NHL material. I haven't seen enough good from Ghetto at the NHL level to say he should be playing 15-17 minutes per game. But I have seen enough to keep him around for now. "Invisible" does have the implied benefit of not having made big blunders, at least. :naughty:

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007

No for now he is not the long term option as the second line winger, but for now keep it together.

I havent really watched much of the habs these past two weeks, grad school exams are a bit harder then undergrad exams, but from what ive seen ive liked his game. No need to rush him but therrien might as well keep it together for as long as it is working.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Other players being good passers doesn't mean Eller is bad at that or a puck hog. Just 2 years ago he was 3rd in assist behing PK and Pacioretty and if you didn't see his playmaking ability last playoffs I don't know what to tell you.

He's not a great playmaker by any means but he's not a puckhog. It sometimes looks this way because he's good enough not to have to dump the puck all the time. Then he waits for somebody to pass it to, something that doesn't happen a lot with the wingers he's had this year (other than Sekac and guess what, they got a lot of offensive opportunity together).

Of course Eller is not a puck hog absolutely all the time.

However, he does have a tendency to do that more than our other centers.

Fair enough? I like Eller. He has become a goal scoring forward for the Habs and we need that going forward.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Savard has lost his mind. Last time he said that people shouldn't be too critical of DD despite his 0 goal in 48gp at 5 on 5 because he's Qc born and we don't have many of those.

If Eller has more value it's because he's better. With that logic, trade Galchenyuk.

I dont think Eller should be traded. I hate that I have to say that but posting to you, I felt it necessary since you like to twist my posts into something I did not mean.

Now that I got that out of the way, trades are dependent upon returns. If you can trade a player and get a return that is beneficial to the team, then you do it. If you trade a player just to get rid of that player because the fanbase at HFBoards does not like him, well, that GM wouldnt keep a job for long.

DD is undersized. Not much demand for a player like that unless you package him with other players. And I am sure that teams would want one of our young D prospects in that package.

Again, not advocating trading Eller. Just speaking to what Savard said in some context.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I dont think Eller should be traded. I hate that I have to say that but posting to you, I felt it necessary since you like to twist my posts into something I did not mean.

Now that I got that out of the way, trades are dependent upon returns. If you can trade a player and get a return that is beneficial to the team, then you do it. If you trade a player just to get rid of that player because the fanbase at HFBoards does not like him, well, that GM wouldnt keep a job for long.

DD is undersized. Not much demand for a player like that unless you package him with other players. And I am sure that teams would want one of our young D prospects in that package.

Again, not advocating trading Eller. Just speaking to what Savard said in some context.

Savard was on l'antichambre about a week or so ago telling people not to be too critical of DD despite him not scoring at 5 on 5 because he's a local player and we don't have that many. So I don't think you really understand Savard's context.

Otherwise, yes, of course, you can trade any player if it means improving.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Savard was on l'antichambre about a week or so ago telling people not to be too critical of DD despite him not scoring at 5 on 5 because he's a local player and we don't have that many. So I don't think you really understand Savard's context.

Otherwise, yes, of course, you can trade any player if it means improving.

I did cringe when I heard that. The worst is that I'm sure he's not the only one thinking like that.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I agree completely. You keep the better player, and move the one who's not as valuable.

If you take the other tack, the first two players you move are Price and Subban. How smart is that?...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Savard's logic makes no sense here.

It would have its merit if, despite the disparity in value, the expected impact of Desharnais on the team over a given period of time would be superior to that of Eller's. That's a scenario in which trading the player with better value makes sense.

I don't believe this is the case right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad