Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
People used to argue that Desharnais had better offensive skills than Plekanec.

to no surprise, DD fanboys just pick on whoever is having a bad season or a bad stretch

Plekanec a few months back, Eller at the begining of the season (funny how the comparisons stopped when Sekac replaced Bourque as 3rd LW), then it's Galchenyuk who's not ready yet, but comparisons stopped for the VAN game as he was great, now comparison is back as he's not ready anymore...

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Desharnais' days are numbered, IMO. I could see us trying to trade him and some other assets for a winger or prospect. I think Galchenyuk has shown that he is clearly better than Desharnais, and with him playing what is usually Eller's position, I just can't see us fielding a weaker team to keep him playing.

However, the Desharnais line has been really good, and it seems we have proved that he can play with other players, so he might be more attractive to a team that needs a 2nd line center.

InControl

Dec 12, 2014
Eller's a 2nd line center on most teams.

Correct, and that gives us 3 top-2 line centremen.

Since we don't have an abundance of top-2 line wingers, the smartest thing is to use one of the three centres as a top-6 winger. It won't be Plekanec. So Eller and Galchenyuk might rotate roles now and then. It could be for a faceoff, it could be to match up against a certain player, who knows. Minutes could be gained on the PP and PK units. There are all these possibilities and more. Lookit, if the Habs have a lead of one goal in the final five minutes, my three centremen (shorten the bench) would be Pleks, Eller and Malhotra. Would people rather Galchenyuk SIT in that situation or play LW?

Here are the basics. These are the guys I want playing the most minutes at forward, in order:
Tomas Plekanec
Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk
Lars Eller
Brandon Gallagher
Jiri Sekac

I am totally open to using Bournival or Prust as a SECONDARY CENTER if Desharnais does not prove he is top-9 worthy. So, no matter what some of the posters here think, my suggestions have NOTHING to do with protecting Desharnais. They have to do with maximizing the contributions of our top 6 forwards, including Lars Eller.

The Desharnais haters need to lose their unhealthy obsession, methinks.

Last edited:

InControl

Dec 12, 2014
The issue with that is that Eller has looked lost when tried on the wing.

You don't HAVE to play him on the wing. If you play him with Galchenyuk and Gallagher or Galchenyuk and Sekac, they will be creative on offence with #27 carrying the play and distributing, but it will be Eller taking the defensive zone draws and battling guys like Malkin or Sharp in our own zone.

I see no problem with this. None whatsoever.

When we had Lemaire, Lafleur and Shutt, it was Lemaire who took the draws and neutralized the other team's top centers (along with the Jarvis line), but it was Lafleur who carried the offence and created most of the plays, distributing the puck where needed.

I want the team to win, not any one player being the primary focus of lineup combinations. We have had enough of that for two years with DD. Now that he is out of our top 6, let's not make a new player the unhealthy focus.

Team!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Toews was over PPG several times in his career, including playoffs. In addition, Toews won the selke, do you think Galchenyuk will win the selke to deal with the difference in offensive output? I mean, Toews is elite offensively and defensively but you're comparing a 60 pts galchenyuk to him? Why?

I don't want Galchenyuk to be another plekanec. As is, Plekanec never won selke or came particularly close. Galchenyuk will not be as good defensively as him yet we're okay with 60 points? Why? Why should we be? I want a #1C offensively who is defensively aware. I don't want a checker who can make points, we have Eller for that.

BTW Price can ask for a trade tomorrow, so can subban and pacioretty. What's your point?

In case you'Ve missed it...we're not grooming Galchenyuk as an offensive threat but as a complete player.

No, i don't think he's the next Toews.....but he won't be a better version of Desharnais either. He's gonna be a 200ft players and verrrrry few players in the NHL can be called that.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
I'd put him on DD's wing on the third line even if he hasn't shown anything good as a winger so far.. unless DD struggles between now and then, DD is a better fit as a center than wing.

We all know MT won't scratch DD and I don't think he deserved to be scratched. Both will have to play on the third line and between Eller and DD, I think Eller is more suitable on the wing..

Eller is a better goal scorer than playmaker, DD is a better playmaker than scorer so let the center be the playmaker and winger be the goal scorer.

desharnais doesn't even play center defensively. i can't remember last time when i saw him covering down low. he mostly covers opposing d-men and waits for the stretch pass.

habsrule22

May 10, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
could there be a DD for perron deal possible out there oilers need to change things n need a centerman. we get a winger that could score 20 goals a season Salaries are pretty well a wash

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
What team? Except yhe Oilers?

Phoenix: Hanzal, Chipchura as 2nd and 3rd. I like Hanzal's size and defensive skills, but it's not easy for him offensively. (Sam Gagner = Healthy scratch)
Florida: Barkov and Bjustad are very good, but also very young, espaially in Barkov's case (19). Might be a good idea to put Barkov on the wing, a position Florida lack of top skills...
New jersey: They are using Gomez as a 1st line center....but Gomez still put up 4 points in 7 games so he produce at the same rate as DD for now.
Buffalo: Girgensons, Mitchell, Foligno and Hodgson playing on the fourth line right now. Foligno is a winger. They could probably use him....

That's the easy one....

We shouldn't forget that right now, Bourque is playing 1st line with Getzlaf.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Phoenix: Hanzal, Chipchura as 2nd and 3rd. I like Hanzal's size and defensive skills, but it's not easy for him offensively. (Sam Gagner = Healthy scratch)
Florida: Barkov and Bjustad are very good, but also very young, espaially in Barkov's case (19). Might be a good idea to put Barkov on the wing, a position Florida lack of top skills...
New jersey: They are using Gomez as a 1st line center....but Gomez still put up 4 points in 7 games so he produce at the same rate as DD for now.
Buffalo: Girgensons, Mitchell, Foligno and Hodgson playing on the fourth line right now. Foligno is a winger. They could probably use him....

That's the easy one....

We shouldn't forget that right now, Bourque is playing 1st line with Getzlaf.

You're kidding right? I think everyone and their moms would take Hanzal over Eller.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
well, it's not one on one players....but on team with Vermette, Hanzal, Chipchura....pretty sure Eller would've made it to the top 6.

Eller is our fourth best forward, possibly fifth if you put Gallagher ahead of him, but I don't.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Sorry but what has Eller done to prove that he's clearly a second line center exactly?

Maybe its the fact that he can play a 200 ft game. ANd can also chip in offensively without getting any pp time

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
I like how you think but your conclusion is incorrect
There is definitely a spot for DD somewhere
He can be on any of our ECHL/AHL teams
Providing that Galchenyuk at center works out of course
If not then DD is once again anointed 1C status cuz we aint got no one better

Have you seen Galchenyuk play at center? The only reason Chucky fails at center is if coach or management team demotes him. Give this kid the reigns because its the only way this team has a chance at legitimate success.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And when Ellen does come back you move Dave to the wing. It's quite simple

DD would get eaten alive on the wing. Little guys can play wing if they can battle, like St-Louis and Gallagher. Not DD. He is already on his ass several times a game, it would be worse as a winger.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
DD would get eaten alive on the wing. Little guys can play wing if they can battle, like St-Louis and Gallagher. Not DD. He is already on his ass several times a game, it would be worse as a winger.

Anyone believe that Bergevin will make a move as soon as DD returns? Will this be the end of DD as a Hab?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Correct, and that gives us 3 top-2 line centremen.

Since we don't have an abundance of top-2 line wingers, the smartest thing is to use one of the three centres as a top-6 winger.
Why????

We have three good centers, so use them the way they are supposed to be used. If we're short on wingers worry about that as a separate problem. Preferably by trading for a good one and unloading cap space onto the team we're trading with. Look for rebuilding teams and offer up picks and prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad