Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
My guess is that Andrghetto is sent down, Chucky moved to wing and DD back to 1st line, leaving 3rd C for Eller

Very possible but that depends entirely on DD and Galchenyuk. If Galchenyuk fails to produce at C and DD continues to produce they might chalk it up to "too early" in the short term and revert back to old habits until the off-season or another injury forces their hand. This is possible and also fine in my mind however if the opposite occurs: Galchenyuk excelling, there should be no reason to revert and adjustments on lower lines should be made.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Like I said earlier, I fully expect DD to move back with Patches and Galchenyuk back to wing when Eller returns. That being said, I think DD's days are numbered with the club. Andrighetto and Hudon are on knocking on the door and the Habs already have Gallagher in the lineup. I can't see the Habs havng 4 players in the top 9 under 5'10. Considering his age, I don't think there needs to be any more investment in DD.

McGuire also brought up a good point, with Galchenyuk's inevitable move to centre, the Canadiens management gotta start asking themselves questions regarding matchups when it comes to their centres. He just doesn't see place for DD on the team because of his limitations in the matchups, especially if he loses that first line role.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Like I said earlier, I fully expect DD to move back with Patches and Galchenyuk back to wing when Eller returns. That being said, I think DD's days are numbered with the club. Andrighetto and Hudon are on knocking on the door and the Habs already have Gallagher in the lineup. I can't see the Habs havng 4 players in the top 9 under 5'10. Considering his age, I don't think there needs to be any more investment in DD.

McGuire also brought up a good point, with Galchenyuk's inevitable move to centre, the Canadiens management gotta start asking themselves questions regarding matchups when it comes to their centres. He just doesn't see place for DD on the team because of his limitations in the matchups, especially if he loses that first line role.

I had envisioned DD's time with the habs to come to an end this off-season. I figured Galchenyuk would get time at C when there's injuries as well. I'm a little surprised by how fast it escalated but it is inevitable. It's a matter of time and it always has been.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I am fine with 27 at C.

This is not about DD being "safe". I am not one of the people who sees every decision through a DD lens, good or bad.

I want two things in the end. I want the top 6 forwards getting the most minutes. And I consider Eller to be in the top 6, unless and until we trade for an even better player without giving up one of our current top 5.

If we are running a top-6 who play 15-20 minutes each, and a bottom 6 who play 10-14 minutes each, then I don't want to do anything that puts a guy not ready for 15-20 minutes into the top 6, like Andrighetto or even Hudon, nor anyone not productive enough, like Desharnais, Bournival, Prust, Tangradi, Bowman or even Parenteau or Weise.

Once we have our top 6, who plays wing and who plays C can be situational decisions. Try different things to see what works best. Maybe the gain from 27 at C is greater than the loss of efficiency of 81 on wing. Or maybe it's the other way around. And if Gallagher can take some offensive-zone draws TODAY on the right side, and none of the Chuckie-vicarious-livers take offense, then why should anyone take offense if Eller takes defensive-zone draws? Hell, sometimes Malhotra takes defensive zone draws, while Galchenyuk plays wing or even sits on the bench, and no one complains much when it happens. So what is this THEORETICAL obsession with Galchenyuk having only one possible role and getting pigeon-holed into it?

Lemaire, Damphousse, Malkin, Sharp, J Staal, Stamkos, Marcel Dionne and even Guy Lafleur did/do all play wing some greater or lesser percentage of the time, but Alex Galchenyuk is not allowed to, even when only 20 years old and still learning, because fan-boys will go apoplectic? This may not be the most ridiculous notion I ever heard of, but it's close.

I don't care about only one player on a team. I care about the team winning. If there are games where the opposing teams' minute-eaters at C might over-match 20 year old Galchenyuk, then I would rather he play more minutes on the wing, than less minutes at C, and let Eller and Pleks handle the other teams' threats!

If using Malhotra to take a draw helps the team, I am for it. If using Eller to take a draw helps the team, I am for it. If using Eller and Plekanec to counter Crosby and Malkin helps the team, I am for it. If, in order to do these things, Galchenyuk must either play less minutes or play LW, I favour LW.

Why is saying these things controversial according to some here? Because Desharnais might play 10-14 minutes? If he does, because he EARNS that right, so be it! If he can't earn a support role, then bench him. In my book, DD has shown he is not a top-6 player, and it seems the coach sees that now. Good! But he deserves the chance for a lesser role, like any other player on the team, where he can contribute as much as he can. We don't need to pick on him anymore, or see EVERY DECISION as being "for or against DD".

That's a great short-term vision of things, no offence.

Carey Price is 27yo. So we have 27-28-29-30 of Carey Price in his prime.
After that, it's all gambling cause he might wanna continue his career someplace else.

We all know how almost impossible it is to win the cup without a top goaltender in this league.

Are we gonna keep dragging our feet and let those years pass us by?
We needed a top center, we drafted a top center, now it's time to use that top center.

Cause nobody else will be able to take advantage of the best years of Carey Price.
Not Plekanec who's gonna get older, Not Desharnais who isn't even a top 6 player and not Eller who never even played on the top 6.

Galchenyuk is our only chance. Better start developping him RIGHT NOW so that
in 2 years from now, he'll be ready for some cup run with Pricey...and Subban.

It's not the end of the world if Galchenyuk plays wings and DD or Eller take a top center job, but it's highly counter productive and this road is leading nowhere. Just wasting Price best year.

Don't waste those years trying stuff, make a plan and build towards it, they won't be coming back.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Logically, if Eller plays with Prust and PAP given that adrighetto stays up people will ***** about Eller's linemates.:laugh:

I don't know why people don't believe in depth. One long term injury at C and we're pretty ****ed in the playoffs. We have 4 top 9 Cs and suddenly it's end of the world.

Doesn't a top team like St Louis has much much more? Doesn't seem like an issue there. Not sure why it's a big issue in MTL.

We're ****ed if an injury goes down at C.....and if an injury happens on the wings right now? Or to one of our top D.....pretty sure the results will be the same.

We'll called up Andrighetto, Tinordi, Beaulieu or Hudon.

Would be the same for every position. We should've kept Bourque....we would love him in case of an injury on the wings. And we probably would (

You talked about depth like it's good to have many players playing the same position, but it's all about role. DD can't replace anybody else than the offensive center (Galchenyuk) in the end.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not against a trade, so long as we get a great asset in return for a guy like Eller.
Why trade Eller? He's great on the 3rd line. He'd be a good 2nd liner if we gave him the opportunity and not many teams have a 3rd liner as good.

If we're going to trade it should be for a winger and we should deal away picks and prospects. This is no longer a team that should be rebuilding, it's a team that should start to try to win now. So deal for a winger and send DD the other way to save cap space.
But more importantly, having five NHL centres is not a problem for ANY OTHER TEAM!!!! No other fanbase has people who will have a stroke over a guy playing wing instead of C.
Sure. If that player is actually good.
Malkin has played wing at times, Stamkos has played wing at times. Jordan Staal has played wing at times. Patrick Sharp has played wing at times.
And all of the above are infinitely better than DD.
Enough already with this paranoia!!
?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That's a great short-term vision of things, no offence.

Carey Price is 27yo. So we have 27-28-29-30 of Carey Price in his prime.
After that, it's all gambling cause he might wanna continue his career someplace else.

We all know how almost impossible to win the cup without a top goaltender in this league.

Are we gonna keep dragging our feet and let those years pass us by?
We needed a top center, we drafted a top center, now it's time to use that top center.

Cause nobody else will be able to take advantage of the best years of Carey Price.
Not Plekanec who's gonna get older, Not Desharnais who isn't even a top 6 player and not Eller who never even played on the top 6.

Galchenyuk is our only chance. Better start developping him RIGHT NOW so that
in 2 years from now, he'll be ready for some cup run with Pricey...and Subban.

It's not the end of the world if Galchenyuk plays wings and DD or Eller take a top center job, but it's highly counter productive and this road is leading nowhere. Just wasting Price best year.

Don't waste those years trying stuff, make a plan and build towards it, they won't be coming back.

This argument is weird. The whole premise of it is based on Carey Price leaving. Why?

Beyond that. I'm not sure how it's counter productive for a player who is progressing to play wing instead of center.

While I understand the argument that he needs to learn the position I don't particularly understand why some feel the thing holding him back from being an elite C is his position. It's not. He's still progressing his offensive game, that's the MAIN thing. If Galchenyuk can play C and hit 60 points, who cares? The idea is that he hits 80. As long as his offensive game is progressing I'm happy because the switch to center isn't as complicated as people make it out to be. You can learn center in X amount of time but you may never become elite offensively. I worry more about the latter than the former.

IMO Galchenyuk at LW or C isn't a big deal in the short term. The important thing is his minutes increase, responsibility increases and that in the end his skills increase.

The first 2 are great but if the 3rd criteria isn't met it's irrelevant. You can learn how to deke, shoot, pass, defensive awareness, offensive awareness, PK, PP, ES, etc... as a winger or a C. These are skills that are transferable. His shot won't suddenly reset at zero if he takes longer to make the move.

In any case, he's there now and that's fine. It was the right move, eller is out, he's our next C. When Eller returns, if it's warranted Galchenyuk should stay as C, no problem. I just never understood the obsession with the center spot. By all means, he'll progress as a center just like he would as a winger so no issue here. I just don't see why people feel as if his progression stops unless he plays C. He'll progress either way as a forward, the only thing left is the position. I guess I care more about him working on his say...his shot than his faceoff skills. I know his FO skills were good, I'm just using that as an example. I want an elite forward out of Galchenyuk. I'd rather a 75 point LW than a 60 point C. So naturally I care more about the offensive side because I think the position can be learned in due time.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
We're ****ed if an injury goes down at C.....and if an injury happens on the wings right now? Or to one of our top D.....pretty sure the results will be the same.

We'll called up Andrighetto, Tinordi, Beaulieu or Hudon.

Would be the same for every position. We should've kept Bourque....we would love him in case of an injury on the wings. And we probably would (

You talked about depth like it's good to have many players playing the same position, but it's all about role. DD can't replace anybody else than the offensive center (Galchenyuk) in the end.

I said we can trade DD for a versatile player. That should satisfy everyone's criteria no?

I just don't agree with 'waivers or AHL' or trading him for free. I mean, trade him for a pick but use than pick to acquire someone else.

As for the wings, we technically lost our 2nd best winger because he is now a center. That will hurt as well, it's normal so that's why we should try to make sure we have the depth.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When Eller comes back he will either be put at C or be put at wing depending on if DD's tryout at #3 is extremely successful or average.
Eller should be put at center no matter what. The fact that this is even a question is a tribute to the stupidity of our coach. Absolutely ****ing ridiculous that this would even be a topic of discussion.

This doesn't make me a "hater" btw. This is an open and shut case. Eller is better offensively, defensively, has better size, doesn't need sheltering... there's no doubt he's better. So why is this even a question?

Because our coach is a ****ing idiot from RDS just like Tremblay was.
In the end however, if Eller/DD fails they might put Galchenyuk back on the wing short term but I'm not particularly a fan of it.
Ridiculous move. Not even fathomable that we'd consider it... except our coach is a dumbass so you're probably right.
I believe Galchenyuk should get an extended stay at C and IF he succeeded they should work around that. If he doesn't, they should try again after a trade. As of now, I don't think he was bad so his confidence will increase over time and we're better off keeping the same path going. No point turning back.
I can't comment on the LA game but he was incredible against Vancouver. This shouldn't even be a question.
Followed by "maybe we can get a good d-man for him".

Which is it? It seems a lot of people feel like LG but they want a miracle in terms of return.
No, I've said he's untradeable. Only option is to deal picks and prospects and send DD along for the other team to absorb the corresponding cap hit. He has NO trade value. None.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...once Larry gets back, if Desharnais can adjust to playing wing without being a liability/needing to be sheltered to be effective, great...if he can be an effective player without Therrien having to draft the lineup specifically with "DD Sheltering" in mind, then I doubt anyone has a problem with him being an effective member of the team...that said, his days with the Habs should be coming to an end soon regardless...unless he somehow blows us away as a winger, he should be moved in the offseason...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Why trade Eller? He's great on the 3rd line. He'd be a good 2nd liner if we gave him the opportunity and not many teams have a 3rd liner as good.

Eller will never beat out Plekanec/galchenyuk. Many teams do have a 3rd liner as good as Eller except their 3rd liner plays less minutes.

If we're going to trade it should be for a winger and we should deal away picks and prospects. This is no longer a team that should be rebuilding, it's a team that should start to try to win now. So deal for a winger and send DD the other way to save cap space.

The same DD that is AHL caliber? So we'll shed cap space and acquire a good winger in return. Either your value is off or you want a miracle.

Sure. If that player is actually good.

DD is NHL caliber. You don't agree I guess but either way.

DD is NHL caliber: Depth at C.
DD is not NHL caliber: We can't trade him.

And all of the above are infinitely better than DD.

If anything, this proves his argument. Even centers INFINITELY better played wing on teams that had depth.

Teams were willing to try new things because they had the means to do so. In many cases they've played wing to lesser centers(stamkos as an example).

A coaches ability to tweak a lineup and make adjustments is a reflection of what he perceives his lineup and depth to be.

If MT was had a lineup like team Canada do you think he'd be hesitant to break up a weak first line if he knew he had the depth and talent to make adjustments? You'll probably suggest MT is stupid and probably wouldn't anyway but realistically, it's only normal.

If you prefer someone else to DD that's fine but I'd argue a versatile top 9 player who can play C would be a priority.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Eller should be put at center no matter what. The fact that this is even a question is a tribute to the stupidity of our coach. Absolutely ****ing ridiculous that this would even be a topic of discussion.

This doesn't make me a "hater" btw. This is an open and shut case. Eller is better offensively, defensively, has better size, doesn't need sheltering... there's no doubt he's better. So why is this even a question?

Because our coach is a ****ing idiot from RDS just like Tremblay was.

FWIW, I was not implying Eller would be winger. Eller as a winger is "bench me now" material. He's a much better C. I was implying if Galchenyuk doesn't produce as a C, DD doesn't produce as a winger then they might revert short term. In the long run however we know how it plays out.

Ridiculous move. Not even fathomable that we'd consider it... except our coach is a dumbass so you're probably right..

If Galchenyuk fails, you'd give him a free pass?

I can't comment on the LA game but he was incredible against Vancouver. This shouldn't even be a question.

DD had 2 points in smaller minutes against LA too. Everyone has good games. Correct me if I'm wrong but for DD people did not want effort, they wanted results.

I have full faith in Galchenyuk over the long run and have gone as far as saying we should just keep him a C now that it's been done barring some ridiculous failure.

I just cover all possibilities. In reality I feel there's the more likely scenarios and I guess people take it out of context. I feel DD will have to be a winger, that's the most likely case in my mind in case there's any doubt.

No, I've said he's untradeable. Only option is to deal picks and prospects and send DD along for the other team to absorb the corresponding cap hit. He has NO trade value. None.

If he's untradeable, then why even suggest we'd get someone of value back. Let alone someone would take him in the first place AND we'd shed cap all at the same time. Seems a little optimistic given your perception of him no?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Eller will never beat out Plekanec/galchenyuk. Many teams do have a 3rd liner as good as Eller except their 3rd liner plays less minutes.
Who are they? I can't think of any.

We don't have a star at center but we've got good depth there for sure. Eller's a 2nd line center on most teams.
The same DD that is AHL caliber? So we'll shed cap space and acquire a good winger in return. Either your value is off or you want a miracle.
It's the flipside of what I used to propose when I argued we should rebuild. Rebuilding teams take on salary cap space and give up value on the vets. In return they get prospects and picks.

DD doesn't have a huge contract, most teams can handle the cap hit esp if they're giving up a better (who'd probably have a bigger cap hit) player in return.

What's the problem here?
DD is NHL caliber. You don't agree I guess but either way.
He's NHL caliber the same way Kyle Wellwood is. He can be an exploitation guy for a team that requires it. But he can't be used any other way. And that makes him an AHL talent.
DD is NHL caliber: Depth at C.
DD is not NHL caliber: We can't trade him.
We can't trade him and expect value for him, that' absolutely true. Nobody is going to give us anything for him other than their headache. What we can do though is give up something of value (picks/prospects/good player) and in return force the other team to take DD to balance out salary caps.

On his own though? No. He has no value. Who the hell wants this guy?
If anything, this proves his argument. Even centers INFINITELY better played wing on teams that had depth.
It makes sense to make room for elite players, not for crappy players who shouldn't be in the lineup to begin with.

Malkin on the wing with Crosby? Absolutely... makes sense to me. DD on the wing? Why?
Teams were willing to try new things because they had the means to do so. In many cases they've played wing to lesser centers(stamkos as an example).

A coaches ability to tweak a lineup and make adjustments is a reflection of what he perceives his lineup and depth to be.

If MT was had a lineup like team Canada do you think he'd be hesitant to break up a weak first line if he knew he had the depth and talent to make adjustments? You'll probably suggest MT is stupid and probably wouldn't anyway but realistically, it's only normal.
What does team Canada have to do with anything here?

MB should go trade for a winger and send DD to Hamilton. Not hard to understand or do. If the other team wants our prospects they have to take DD and his contract to go along with it. That's how it works. Not hard to understand. It's what I preached when I argued we should rebuild and now the shoe is on the other foot.
If you prefer someone else to DD that's fine but I'd argue a versatile top 9 player who can play C would be a priority.
DD isn't versatile.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
This argument is weird. The whole premise of it is based on Carey Price leaving. Why?

Beyond that. I'm not sure how it's counter productive for a player who is progressing to play wing instead of center.

While I understand the argument that he needs to learn the position I don't particularly understand why some feel the thing holding him back from being an elite C is his position. It's not. He's still progressing his offensive game, that's the MAIN thing. If Galchenyuk can play C and hit 60 points, who cares? The idea is that he hits 80. As long as his offensive game is progressing I'm happy because the switch to center isn't as complicated as people make it out to be. You can learn center in X amount of time but you may never become elite offensively. I worry more about the latter than the former.

IMO Galchenyuk at LW or C isn't a big deal in the short term. The important thing is his minutes increase, responsibility increases and that in the end his skills increase.

The first 2 are great but if the 3rd criteria isn't met it's irrelevant. You can learn how to deke, shoot, pass, defensive awareness, offensive awareness, PK, PP, ES, etc... as a winger or a C. These are skills that are transferable. His shot won't suddenly reset at zero if he takes longer to make the move.

In any case, he's there now and that's fine. It was the right move, eller is out, he's our next C. When Eller returns, if it's warranted Galchenyuk should stay as C, no problem. I just never understood the obsession with the center spot. By all means, he'll progress as a center just like he would as a winger so no issue here. I just don't see why people feel as if his progression stops unless he plays C. He'll progress either way as a forward, the only thing left is the position. I guess I care more about him working on his say...his shot than his faceoff skills. I know his FO skills were good, I'm just using that as an example. I want an elite forward out of Galchenyuk. I'd rather a 75 point LW than a 60 point C. So naturally I care more about the offensive side because I think the position can be learned in due time.

Why? Cause mayby we won't have the money to keep him....maybe his wife will get tired of MTL, maybe he will...who knows? But there's no guaranteed that after his contract, Carey Price will be still here.

And it's just not about that. it's about the BEST years of Price.....yes, he'll probably put great season long after that....but maybe not as good as he is now.

And i don't care about the points....i care a lot about the rest of the ice.
Technically speaking, Toews never put up an 80 points season....but he plays a real 200ft game.....and i would take a 200ft/60pts Galchenyuk ten times ahead of a 80ft/80pts Desharnais.

Maybe would explain how Therrien is using him right now.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
...I'd like to see that list of 3rd line centres as good as or better than Eller...if you please, proceed...;)

Eller is a decent 3rd line center, but there are people on here projecting him to be a 25 goal 50 point guy, he will never be that, He is what he is now, at 15 goal 40 point guy max, and that is fine.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
...I'd like to see that list of 3rd line centres as good as or better than Eller...if you please, proceed...;)

Eller ranked 102 in points for a center last year.

He ranked 61st in ES TOI for centers.
He ranked 98th in PP TOI for centers.
He ranked 66th in SH TOI for centers.

Keep in mind the NHL.com list includes wingers at center so this number is actually higher. He's already played as a 2B center.

He had more ES TOI than Carter, Richards, Toffoli who are all listed as center but play more than one position...:sarcasm: This is one team even, they are all better.

Stoll played less minutes, produced more and is more versatile. Once again, same team.

I think Eller is overhyped due to his size and the market he's in. He's an very good top 9 guy but he's not a top 6 forward. You can easily name a bunch of players you'd rather center the 2nd line than him, over 60. I won't bother but it's not that hard, it's Eller, not a superstar.

The same can be said about DD and at a lesser scale, likely 30 centers you'd rather have on 1st line than Plekanec. All of which are valid as the habs lack an established elite C.

All this being said. What you quoted said he will never beat out Plekanec and Galchenyuk for top 6. I can bring up LA, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc... but even in Montreal, he's not better than those 2. He'll forever be a 3rd line C, even on a team lacking a real #1.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Why? Cause mayby we won't have the money to keep him....maybe his wife will get tired of MTL, maybe he will...who knows? But there's no guaranteed that after his contract, Carey Price will be still here.

And it's just not about that. it's about the BEST years of Price.....yes, he'll probably put great season long after that....but maybe not as good as he is now.

And i don't care about the points....i care a lot about the rest of the ice.
Technically speaking, Toews never put up an 80 points season....but he plays a real 200ft game.....and i would take a 200ft/60pts Galchenyuk ten times ahead of a 80ft/80pts Desharnais.

Maybe would explain how Therrien is using him right now.

Toews was over PPG several times in his career, including playoffs. In addition, Toews won the selke, do you think Galchenyuk will win the selke to deal with the difference in offensive output? I mean, Toews is elite offensively and defensively but you're comparing a 60 pts galchenyuk to him? Why?

I don't want Galchenyuk to be another plekanec. As is, Plekanec never won selke or came particularly close. Galchenyuk will not be as good defensively as him yet we're okay with 60 points? Why? Why should we be? I want a #1C offensively who is defensively aware. I don't want a checker who can make points, we have Eller for that.

BTW Price can ask for a trade tomorrow, so can subban and pacioretty. What's your point?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Keep in mind the NHL.com list includes wingers at center so this number is actually higher. He's already played as a 2B center.

He had more ES TOI than Carter, Richards, Toffoli who are all listed as center but play more than one position...:sarcasm: This is one team even, they are all better.

Stoll played less minutes, produced more and is more versatile. Once again, same team.

I think Eller is overhyped due to his size and the market he's in. He's an very good top 9 guy but he's not a top 6 forward. You can easily name a bunch of players you'd rather center the 2nd line than him, over 60. I won't bother but it's not that hard, it's Eller, not a superstar.

The same can be said about DD and at a lesser scale, likely 30 centers you'd rather have on 1st line than Plekanec. All of which are valid as the habs lack an established elite C.

All this being said. What you quoted said he will never beat out Plekanec and Galchenyuk for top 6. I can bring up LA, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc... but even in Montreal, he's not better than those 2. He'll forever be a 3rd line C, even on a team lacking a real #1.
He's scored at the same rate 5 on 5 that DD has with terrible linemates and defensive minutes.

He gets almost no PP time and his coach gives him ****** assignments, not hard to see why he doesn't produce the offense some would like to see.

But he's producing the same offense our number one has without any of the benefits. So wtf is it hard for you to see this guy as a 50 pt player? He's easily a 50 point guy if you give him good linemates and PP time.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...all I bolded in the quote was your statement that many teams have 3rd liners as good as Eller...I'd like to see them...I personally see Larry as an exceptional 3rd line centre, one of the best in the League...

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Eller is not a 2nd line centerman. Not enough vision/passing skills.

Hes a hardworker and he has great abilities but hes where hes supposed to be as a 3rd liner.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

neither is DD. Galchenyuk and Plekanec are both better than not only Eller, but DD as well.

and DD is definitely not sound enough defensively to play 3rd line C and doesnt bring any physicality whatsoever...

if DD cant play wing he should be gone.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Eller with Bourque on his wing is an awful third line centre, which is why his integrated stats look bad.

With that said, without Bourque, he's clearly second line centre material on most teams, and a luxury at third line centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad