Speculation: What does Malkin get for an AAV on his next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Malkin is my favorite active player. But I really hope the Pens don’t give him over 7-7.5m per and over 2-3 years. I never want to see him in another NHL uniform, so I hope if he can not come to a reasonable deal with Pittsburgh, he just returns to Russia and keeps playing there.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Malkin as unrestricted some team would likely offer 7,000,000 + 3 years
Pittsburgh with Crosby only being paid 3,000,000 per those same years its unlikely management offer 7,000,000 per paying him 4,000,000 per more than Crosby .
Pittsburgh will likely offer less than 5,000,000 per 3 years If malkin rejects the offer management will let him go .

Less than 5? No chance Crosby isn't going solo for the next 3 years. The guy could get 8 easily

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
6 million for a second line ( 3c on some teams) is well paid at his age. Anything more is just for nostalgic reasons. What did the pens get out of his 10 million last year ??
He was just under PPG last year. Are you actually saying that Malkin would be a 3C on some teams?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Malkin as unrestricted some team would likely offer 7,000,000 + 3 years
Pittsburgh with Crosby only being paid 3,000,000 per those same years its unlikely management offer 7,000,000 per paying him 4,000,000 per more than Crosby .
Pittsburgh will likely offer less than 5,000,000 per 3 years If malkin rejects the offer management will let him go .
If that happens the Habs should break their necks to bring Malkin in. It would be closer to $10M for a year but it would be what they need. The ripple effect of moving Suzuki to 2C where he belongs and Dvorak moving to 3c to replace an AHLer makes the Habs a far better team.

It won't happen, that offer you made was ludicrous because a team like the Hab would or at least should offer him that near $10m for the season.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Teams that would easily pay him 8 mill include; Montreal, Calgary, nyr, buffalo, kraken, Detroit, Vegas, Columbus, Nashville, Minnesota, nj, Anaheim and Ottawa..... Even if they gotta get rid of salary to make it work... They all would sign him and laugh since it wouldnt cost any assets
i wouldn't want montreal going near him . don't want to be paying for guys past performances. moving forward EXPECT diminishing returns

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If that happens the Habs should break their necks to bring Malkin in. It would be closer to $10M for a year but it would be what they need. The ripple effect of moving Suzuki to 2C where he belongs and Dvorak moving to 3c to replace an AHLer makes the Habs a far better team.

It won't happen, that offer you made was ludicrous because a team like the Hab would or at least should offer him that near $10m for the season.
you are out of your mind .your a hab hater and would love to see that but we wouldn't be interested . send him to one of the teams you have interest in .

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
you are out of your mind .your a hab hater and would love to see that but we wouldn't be interested . send him to one of the teams you have interest in .
AWWWW muffin. Can't use your big boy words to talk hockey so you need to throw a fit. I didn't say a single negative thing in that post but you have this obsession to chase me around these boards like a yappy little chihuahua. Get help.

If the Habs signed Malkin it would be like every other post of yours, Malkin would become the best player in the world and whatever players it cost were never good anyway.

Last edited:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Best playoff performer on the team?
Wow first round loss after first round loss.....reg season below average and nothing much come post season time ??? Guess we could compare tjisn10 million to what the Canadians paid price for his playoff performance??? Seem equal ???

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Absolutely. Edmonton. Toronto. Tampa to name you 3.

Your name is apt.

Edmonton has two of the top 5Cs in hockey.
Toronto has a top 5C in hockey and John Tavares is their captain and likely a top 10C.
Tampa has Point and I'd put Malkin over Stamkos now and forever.

If any of those teams signed him, they would not be playing Evgeni Malkin 13 minutes a night.

So, although I don't think he is anymore, Evgeni Malkin could be the 11th best C in hockey by this metric and he's "a 3C on some teams"?

Evgeni Malkin is still a great player. He's far more injury prone than he was, so there is big risk in signing him to big dollars and term.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I gleefully sign Malkin to a 3x8 contract if I'm Detroit and he hits the UFA market. And we're a dogshit bottom of the league team. I don't know where this 6M nonsense is coming from. 6 million got you guys like Kyle Okposo, Andrew Ladd, Milan Lucic, and Frans Nielsen with 500k left over.

You're not drawing a hard line in the sand and saying "Geno, 6M or no dice". If you're Pittsburgh and you lose him over 1-2M? The fans will be f***in pissed at you. Not the lunatics who post here, but the people who actually put butts in seats and make you money.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My pipe dream is $7.1mil but something tells me it will be in the $8-8.7mil range. I don't think he pulls more than Sid.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
My pipe dream is $7.1mil but something tells me it will be in the $8-8.7mil range. I don't think he pulls more than Sid.

Based on what Sid did with his 8.7 contract for so long... I can actually see 7.1M if Geno wants to get a little more term. I can definitely see that happening. I agree with you that it won't be over 8.7 either.

Any talk about 6M is complete bunk though.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Based on what Sid did with his 8.7 contract for so long... I can actually see 7.1M if Geno wants to get a little more term. I can definitely see that happening. I agree with you that it won't be over 8.7 either.

Any talk about 6M is complete bunk though.
It took a 12 year contract and crosby's generosity to get that AAV down to 8.7.

If Malkin is just mostly healthy his year I can't see a one year contract being less than $9m. If I'm the Pens I do that far faster than a 3 year contract at even $7m for a 35+ player with his history. One year contracts are far better for both sides than multi year deals.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's an entire year away and Malkin always seems to be banged up, so I think it will depend a lot on how this season goes. Its so hard to gauge value on guys with injury issues. The people suggesting $7M are probably close, but I'm not expecting long term for Malkin.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It took a 12 year contract and crosby's generosity to get that AAV down to 8.7.

If Malkin is just mostly healthy his year I can't see a one year contract being less than $9m. If I'm the Pens I do that far faster than a 3 year contract at even $7m for a 35+ player with his history. One year contracts are far better for both sides than multi year deals.

I don't disagree with any of that. I was saying that if Malkin was so inclined, I could see a 7.1Mx3-5 contract not being offensive to him. One year deal at 9 makes way more sense, though, I agree.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Your name is apt.

Edmonton has two of the top 5Cs in hockey.
Toronto has a top 5C in hockey and John Tavares is their captain and likely a top 10C.
Tampa has Point and I'd put Malkin over Stamkos now and forever.

If any of those teams signed him, they would not be playing Evgeni Malkin 13 minutes a night.

So, although I don't think he is anymore, Evgeni Malkin could be the 11th best C in hockey by this metric and he's "a 3C on some teams"?

Evgeni Malkin is still a great player. He's far more injury prone than he was, so there is big risk in signing him to big dollars and term.
You realize where his goals and points per million rank him league wide right? Might utterly shock you. Time to let go of the nostalgic LOL..his days of ah elite 2c are over m both tavares and Stamkos will outscore malkin this year. I could name you 20 centers that are better right now and stats to back it up. You know Malkih and his 8 goals in 33 games andnhosn3 goals over the last 3 playoff series are just dynamic!!!!

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Malkin is playing over Cirelli and Tavares easily.
Yes his 8 goals in 33 games gets himself the second spot in Toronto LOL...this isn't 2012 anymore..you realize where is goals game 8s and where tavares is right?

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Truth hurts sometimes sparkles???

You're a brave truth teller. We're all scared to read your posts. Your words are like a blinding light exposing the dark regions of our understanding and we can't take it. Certainly no one is laughing at how much you sound like one of those guys that stands on the corner yelling while holding a big sign that says The End is Nigh

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You're a brave truth teller. We're all scared to read your posts. Your words are like a blinding light exposing the dark regions of our understanding and we can't take it. Certainly no one is laughing at how much you sound like one of those guys that stands on the corner yelling while holding a big sign that says The End is Nigh
Brave? Yes ill buy that. You couod have just said soujd hockey logic and i would have agreed with you!!! I do upstand living in your cousins trailer while gaining your hockey logic off NHL 19 Playstation version would seemingly give you an advantage discussing such, i can assure you that's not the case here.
In your ruffled case, you get upset when someone points out the blatant obvious and one missed it initially. It happens sprakles......

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I'm not sure whether to laugh or to laugh at this summation of what caliber of player Malkin is.
Well again your best to remember thisnt 2016 anymore. That's a start. I'll help you along here. He was below a PPG player last year. He had only goals in 33 games. Which is just over 20 for a full season to which he hasn't played in quite some time. He was a minus player again while making 10 million. The pens got fsr better point per million value from almsot everyone including McCann rust Jake and even ceci. Remember now malkin is solely an offensive player .
The NHL network has him listed at 15 f9r NHK fantasy centers which is basically spot on.
The player I compared him to, tavares has more goals and points in the last 4 sesosn ls while being less injury prone amd making the same cash. Hmmm guess you could say malkin saved his best for the playoffs but that would be laughable too when you look at the stats.
Yes malkin had a down year, yes he had a very good year before that mending his play is somewhere between. The very simple logic and question here does he still bring 10 million dollar value to the pens ?? And that answer is NO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad