Speculation: What does Malkin get for an AAV on his next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
If his recovery from knee surgery doesn't go too well, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this is his last NHL season. Guess it probably relies heavily on whether or not his family wants to stay in America long term.

If he stays I hope his AAV is around 8M, but Ovi's new deal doesn't help the Pens at all.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Why are you acting like you speak for Penguins fans? You can go elsewhere.

Your take sucks, too.
Dude with Malkin's injury history and where he's currently at, That's all he's worth 3-4 years @ $6,000,000 per for Malkin is way more then enough. If the penguins are dumb enough to pay him more then go ahead. And it will be a bad contract before the ink is dry.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Dude with Malkin's injury history and where he's currently at, That's all he's worth 3-4 years @ $6,000,000 per for Malkin is way more then enough. If the penguins are dumb enough to pay him more then go ahead. And it will be a bad contract before the ink is dry.
6 million for a second line ( 3c on some teams) is well paid at his age. Anything more is just for nostalgic reasons. What did the pens get out of his 10 million last year ??

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It will be 7.1M. What the term will be is a question, but not the $ amount IMO.

As for Letang, it entirely depends on term. I see him getting his same salary or close to it (7.25M or maybe the same 7.1M I think Malkin will get) if it’s a 3 year deal. But I could see the cap hit come down substantially if it’s longer term — such as 6.5 x 4 years, or $5.8-6M if it’s 5 years. Front loaded as possible of course in case he retires, he’s not leaving as much salary on the table. But the way Letang takes care of his fitness, I could see him maintaining elite level play for another 2-3 years, before gradually declining to a high end #4-5 Dman who plays 18 minutes per night and special teams duty.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Burke on air right before he got the job as president, said general managers big problem is they fall in love with their players. He also said in an interview as president that regarding future contracts expiring (ie. malkin and letting but he specifically didn’t name those 2 but it’s obvious who he was talking about), that “tough decisions” will have to be made. I would be floored if malkin gets his cushy 9 mil plusmAAV contract at multiple years. It’ll be interesting to see if Burke can walk the walk.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Burke on air right before he got the job as president, said general managers big problem is they fall in love with their players. He also said in an interview as president that regarding future contracts expiring (ie. malkin and letting but he specifically didn’t name those 2 but it’s obvious who he was talking about), that “tough decisions” will have to be made. I would be floored if malkin gets his cushy 9 mil plusmAAV contract at multiple years. It’ll be interesting to see if Burke can walk the walk.

Burke isn’t in charge of contracts.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I guess riding your HOF'ers into the afterlife is a respectable way to tank compared to what some teams have done instead.Talk to the core. Ask them if they want to go on another run. Then ask them how much they are willing to give to go on it. If you can get Malkin at 5M for 3 years and then give him a job "scouting" the KHL at undisclosed amount for undisclosed years then you're good. Compared to some of the shameful shit that franchise has done in the pat I wouldn't think this would raise an eyebrow.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think a lot has to do with his health this year. If he misses 40 games then how can you justify 7+ million per on a multi year? Someone might give it to him but it wouldn’t be me.
As for the AO comparisons - I don’t think it’s a great comparable. Obviously, they are both Russian and the same age, but AO stays healthy and is still scoring at a very high level. He’s the iconic guy. AO is to Wash what Crosby is to Pitt. The comp isn’t AO. Malkin is still high end but I have concerns.

- Neutral fan

MeSorry

Jun 12, 2018
Could see 8 million over 5 years. Team's would still sign him for this amount if not more. When does a 1 C open up, not very often. Yeah he gets injured but if he can play 80% of the games that's fine. Pretty much enough for a regular season push to the playoffs on a weaker team.

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
Teams that would easily pay him 8 mill include; Montreal, Calgary, nyr, buffalo, kraken, Detroit, Vegas, Columbus, Nashville, Minnesota, nj, Anaheim and Ottawa..... Even if they gotta get rid of salary to make it work... They all would sign him and laugh since it wouldnt cost any assets

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Malkin as unrestricted some team would likely offer 7,000,000 + 3 years
Pittsburgh with Crosby only being paid 3,000,000 per those same years its unlikely management offer 7,000,000 per paying him 4,000,000 per more than Crosby .
Pittsburgh will likely offer less than 5,000,000 per 3 years If malkin rejects the offer management will let him go .

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Curious what you think Malkin AAV should be on his next contract. His current one ends next summer. If I were hextal, I’d have to ask malkin to take a haircut, like lose the bangs type of haircut and come in at a 7 mil caphit for 4 yrs?

thoughts?
Depends on the year he has really . If he is healthy and has another monster season like he always can idk

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Malkin as unrestricted some team would likely offer 7,000,000 + 3 years
Pittsburgh with Crosby only being paid 3,000,000 per those same years its unlikely management offer 7,000,000 per paying him 4,000,000 per more than Crosby .
Pittsburgh will likely offer less than 5,000,000 per 3 years If malkin rejects the offer management will let him go .
Cap hits all that matters Crosby with his 8.7 rule had a currently unallowed contract that backdived

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad