GM search thread - all news and discussion here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
To me its gotta be Darche. We need someone who has won the cup in the modern age and has proved they can be consistently competitive at the NHL level. I could see Botterill as a second option with what he has done in Seattle as well as that was a very tough and smart build. I don't see Gorton as taking the downgrade from Montreal VP of Hockey Ops to Columbus GM unless there is way more to the NY rangers story than is currently known (plus frankly the JD and Gorton show didn't bring any cups to the Rangers).
Also, the compensation that would be necessary to get Gorton out of Montreal would be prohibitive, possibly a first round pick in 2025. And he wouldn’t be allowed to leave before the 2024 draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He mentioned on the radio this morning that a lateral move isn't going to happen so an additional title would be required. KJ's thought on McFarland coming in to take over JD's role has intrigue.

McFarland is in his second year as GM, it would be surprising if he was willing to give up that role to go upstairs. President and GM, maybe.

Palmu

Apr 10, 2019
Finland
Trade for Björkstrand
So maybe Botterill?

But in all seriousness MacFarland would be the best option, but why he would leave Avs? I think Darche would be next best option. Whitney is interesting candidate aswell. He strikes me as a person who would be awesome GM. Maybe he was Gandalf the Grey while playing and would become Gandalf the White as a GM.

For some reason I don't like Gorton.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if Gorton won’t take a demotion as he’s VP of Hockey Ops in Montreal, doesn’t the same apply to Darche? Is he not in the JD role in Tampa?

Also I didn’t realize Ray Whitney was in a FO role. I would love that from a personal standpoint as he’s my all-time favorite Jacket, but his experience seems rather sparse for what we should be looking for I think.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I want someone that can work with the people around him/her and connect with the players. I was a Jarmo supporter until the last little bit here. It was time for him to go, but one thing I think he really appeared to lack was a connection with the team he built. That's not to say the new person needs to crater and give players what they want but I want someone that has a vision of success, drives that vision and does so by also connecting with the players. I don't think Jarmo ever listened to anyone he didn't directly oversea.

I think Jarmo was a good judge of talent overall. Ever GM has misses high in the draft. Unless you are picking top 5 (sometimes they don't even pan out) the risk just jumps very quickly on success. For whatever reason, Jarmo hasn't seemed to be able to make all the pieces fit together and has reached a bit for the complementary pieces. That puts you in a bad spot. The high end prospect pool only gets you so far. It needs to have some balance with veterans that can drive the ship. I'm not sure we've pulled those players into the fold - certainly not ones with high hockey ability and drive, in my opinion

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if Gorton won’t take a demotion as he’s VP of Hockey Ops in Montreal, doesn’t the same apply to Darche? Is he not in the JD role in Tampa?

Also I didn’t realize Ray Whitney was in a FO role. I would love that from a personal standpoint as he’s my all-time favorite Jacket, but his experience seems rather sparse for what we should be looking for I think.
Darche is assistant gm, director of hockey ops .. similiar to what Flynn does

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
- Ability to take a better tact with players
- CLB and CLE playing the same system
- Flexible when need be
- Nerves of steel
- Bold yet sensible
- Not a YES man
- Have a plan and execute it. No wishy washy.
- Good reputation among other GMs
- Stand up for your squad

There's way to many to continue.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think McFarland is realistic, and I don't think Gorton is desirable or realistic. Botterill seems better than the results in Buffalo, but we lose credibility taking on a GM from another failed rebuild. Whitney doesn't seem to have much experience.

The more realistic names that I'm most intrigued by

• Eric Tulsky - the whiz kid now has many years of experience as Carolina AGM, he's credited with a lot of their distinctive moves. They have their own philosophy. This Canes team has never gotten over the top though, never close in my opinion.

• Mark Hunter - people never shut up about the Hunters, do they? He's been a popular choice in the media for a lot of jobs but didn't get them. Nonetheless I like what I've heard from him in interviews. The Toronto rebuild experience is a very helpful parallel he can draw from.

• Mathieu Darche - Obviously his executive experience both in and out of hockey is a great resume. He was not around when Tampa was built (why do people ignore this?), but it speaks well of him that he was hired by the people who did do that building.

• Chris Clark - Cleveland GM, very well spoken. I think inside guys can be goldmines to talk to. Find out what he thinks about how the Jackets have been run over the years.

Clark and I think Hunter would have the big advantage that they can start right away. If we're waiting until July to hire someone then the new GM misses the largest window to help the roster, and won't have the latitude to do much until the following deadline, more than a year from now. Or maybe no significant window until summer 2025. That is a very serious downside.

Based on the little that I know, Hunter would be my favorite choice.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wouldnt expect significant turnover yet anyway. Still needs to be an evaluation phase and Im sure prospective GMs are doing their homework now. I get that its not the same as being in the room but its not nothing.

I still like Tulsky and Pridham myself. Hunter wouldnt be bad. Been around the game forever

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The #1 thing I want from a new GM that Jarmo didn't provide is someone who will stock the roster with players who fit the coach's system. (I'm talking primarily throughout the Torts years)

Reactions: koteka and EspenK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The #1 thing I want from a new GM that Jarmo didn't provide is someone who will stock the roster with players who fit the coach's system. (I'm talking primarily throughout the Torts years)

Those Torts teams were loaded with Torts type players that could forecheck like crazy. I don't know if you were suggesting otherwise.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
realistically, when do you think we’ll have a new GM named? by when?

I'm guessing in the offseason, maybe in June. Several candidates won't be available until then.

But I'd rather they pick in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: I3LI3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad