GM search thread - all news and discussion here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hmmmm, and Hunter is good friends with Asst GM Basil McRae. They co-own the London Knights.
He's certainly had a great run with London. He needs to leave and let his kid (Dylan) be the coach/GM anyway.

With Hunter it would be about him wanting the challenge. As you know, the London Knights are an absolute goldmine and have been for a long time. Money certainly wouldn't be his motivation for becoming an NHL GM.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I want a guy who either has rebuilt a team or can articulate very clearly how he would go about building the Jackets into a consistent contender. The more he has studied and researched the Jackets would go a long way in my mind. If he comes to an interview and says at least 3 years to achieve respectability I'd prefer that over a guy who says we're getting better tomorrow. I don't see a quick fix and I hope management isn't looking for that.

If the new guy can effect enough change/improvement to get the Jackets to the 80 point range next season I'd be thrilled. Maybe 85-90 the second year and a playoff contender the 3rd would be great.

I think Jarmo leaves behind a lot of very young talent that can be grown to solid NHlers or who could be traded for some more immediate help. Some guys just have to go away. The new guy can't screw up the who stays who goes issue, He also needs to smooth over any ruffled feathers that need to be

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I want a guy who either has rebuilt a team or can articulate very clearly how he would go about building the Jackets into a consistent contender. The more he has studied and researched the Jackets would go a long way in my mind. If he comes to an interview and says at least 3 years to achieve respectability I'd prefer that over a guy who says we're getting better tomorrow. I don't see a quick fix and I hope management isn't looking for that.

If the new guy can effect enough change/improvement to get the Jackets to the 80 point range next season I'd be thrilled. Maybe 85-90 the second year and a playoff contender the 3rd would be great.

I think Jarmo leaves behind a lot of very young talent that can be grown to solid NHlers or who could be traded for some more immediate help. Some guys just have to go away. The new guy can't screw up the who stays who goes issue, He also needs to smooth over any ruffled feathers that need to be
What I would give to be a fly on the wall during the interviews.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Columbus is looking to ask for permission to speak with Jeff Gorton. They would love his experience in an advisory position, like he is in Montreal.

That's from TSN when they update the trade rumours.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Columbus is looking to ask for permission to speak with Jeff Gorton. They would love his experience in an advisory position, like he is in Montreal.

That's from TSN when they update the trade rumours.
This would be, imo, the betting favorite early. Just makes sense.

And yes I know it’s a “downgrade” from his current job but I know he was sour with how it ended in New York, he liked being GM, and JD got fired because he refused to fire him.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Lol, Gorton is the head of hockey ops. in Montreal. It’s not an “advisory” position. I’d be shocked if he left that.

Reactions: majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Gortons trade history isnt anything special. 2 of his biggest trades were players forcing their way to his team. Brassard for Zibanejad was a home run though. He was also the one who made the JT Miller+McDonagh deal.
They recieved Namestnikov+ Howden+ Hijek+ 1st(Lundkvist)+ 2nd. Crazy... I thought trading vets for futures was more of a slam dunk

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
My head will explode if a single insider mentions Chiarelli being considered.
CHIARELLI???!!!!!! IMG_1195.jpeg

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
The 32Thoughts podcast opens the show for a while talking about potential candidates and the Elvis trade possibility.

Haven’t listened myself yet but I thought I’d pass the info along if others are interested

Reactions: Napoli

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
To me its gotta be Darche. We need someone who has won the cup in the modern age and has proved they can be consistently competitive at the NHL level. I could see Botterill as a second option with what he has done in Seattle as well as that was a very tough and smart build. I don't see Gorton as taking the downgrade from Montreal VP of Hockey Ops to Columbus GM unless there is way more to the NY rangers story than is currently known (plus frankly the JD and Gorton show didn't bring any cups to the Rangers).

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Portzline mentions McFarland (as an incredible long shot), Darche, Whitney, Chris Clark, Gorton, Eric Tulsky, Jason Botterill, and Derek Clancy as potential candidates

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Portzline mentions McFarland (as an incredible long shot), Darche, Whitney, Chris Clark, Gorton, Eric Tulsky, Jason Botterill, and Derek Clancy as potential candidates
He mentioned on the radio this morning that a lateral move isn't going to happen so an additional title would be required. KJ's thought on McFarland coming in to take over JD's role has intrigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad