GM search thread - all news and discussion here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
What is this xenophobic nonsense comment? The second best team in the Western Conference also has a Euro GM, and that team has been spinning its tires a LOT longer than we have.
Overreact much??? The best young hockey players in the world are from Canada; closely follow by the United States. I would like to see the scouting/drafting be more focused there.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Although the popular (or easy) move might be to promote Chris Clark as he's done a great job in Cleveland, I feel the better option would be to get someone that's been an assistant GM somewhere who's an up-and-comer and ready to make some proper moves.
I can't think of any 'free agent' experienced GM's that might fit this role, like a Chiarelli

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Not sure why JD didn't go too, Jarmo overstayed because of him. Maybe they want a bit of organizacional continuity so the whole FO doesn't disappear oversight but it's strange since the writing had been on the wall for a long while.

Reactions: LoveCBJ

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

1708016805424.png

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Gorton would certainly be an interesting candidate. It was him who did the heavy lifting to form the nucleus of the current Rangers team. While his two major draft picks have been meh, they were certainly consensus picks to have NHL success. His big sin was not capitulating to Dolans demand to fire the coach.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Not sure I'd be happy with that one. I never really did have much confidence in how he managed the Rangers and I still don't really believe in that team even tho they've got results right now. I really feel like it's more "they lucked into Adam Fox" and similar stuff rather than anything management set them up for.

Of course, I've not done much of a close study of the org so I could be well off-base. But that's where I am at the moment.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Gorton would certainly be an interesting candidate. It was him who did the heavy lifting to form the nucleus of the current Rangers team. While his two major draft picks have been meh, they were certainly consensus picks to have NHL success. His big sin was not capitulating to Dolans demand to fire the coach.
He also drafted Kravstov with a top 10 pick

• Haha
Reactions: Napoli

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He also drafted Kravstov with a top 10 pick
Was that him or was that him listening to his scouts. If there was one thing Jarmo was good at, it was putting faith in his scouts and making selections that most wouldn't. They didnt always work out, but you know he had faith in his staff.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Was that him or was that him listening to his scouts. If there was one thing Jarmo was good at, it was putting faith in his scouts and making selections that most wouldn't. They didnt always work out, but you know he had faith in his staff.
Staff is hired by the GM, that still shows on your resume to some degree

Reactions: CBJx614

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's strange. I feel like I'm hearing equal amounts of "please no newcomers" and "please no retreads" - thankfully not from the same people simultaneously, but still. It's like we're creating expectations of just taking an existing Cup-contending GM and hiring them away from somewhere else, which... well, I shouldn't have to explain how realistic (or otherwise) that is.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's strange. I feel like I'm hearing equal amounts of "please no newcomers" and "please no retreads" - thankfully not from the same people simultaneously, but still. It's like we're creating expectations of just taking an existing Cup-contending GM and hiring them away from somewhere else, which... well, I shouldn't have to explain how realistic (or otherwise) that is.
Id be curious to know what some people consider newbie. 1st time GM period? Someone like Castonguay who only has 3 years experience? Darche who has 5 years in management but lots of years in hockey? Pridham/Tulsky who have bear a decade?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think Hunter was pretty choked when he didnt get the Toronto job. Guy has been around the game forever but atleast has experience with pro's and kids, could be a good balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad