GM search thread - all news and discussion here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
What do I Want from new GM?

Well, considering the talent the previous GM accumulated, I would expect a playoff run next season and making to finals in 3-4 seasons.

Scouting has to remain in top 3 of NHL or we downgraded.

Realistically, what does a GM fix here? Tell people to be healthy?

The main problem is PP at 14%. Team that loses the most 1 goal games need to fix it. That's a coaching change needed

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What do I Want from new GM?

Well, considering the talent the previous GM accumulated, I would expect a playoff run next season and making to finals in 3-4 seasons.

Scouting has to remain in top 3 of NHL or we downgraded.

Realistically, what does a GM fix here? Tell people to be healthy?

The main problem is PP at 14%. Team that loses the most 1 goal games need to fix it. That's a coaching change needed

You seem to have forgotten the part about the Jackets being one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. A lot of players who can't forecheck and / or struggle to defend.

That and since Dec 1st the PK has been a much bigger problem than the PP. We're 23rd in the league 5v4 in that span, and dead last 4v5, by a country mile.

Reactions: Napoli and koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Those Torts teams were loaded with Torts type players that could forecheck like crazy. I don't know if you were suggesting otherwise.
Until Jarmo started collecting high skill players and then expected them to become Torts type players. That’s when we lost identity and the wheels fell off.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Oh no! High skill!

How will they become Torts type players when Torts is our head coach?
Some skills can be taught and others are just natural to people. it's one thing to draft a player knowing wat their skill set is and using it to your advantage. it's another thing to try to make someone something they are not. This team flipped from a hard nosed style of player to an attempt at a high skill style that didn't suit Torts.

Who thought Sonny Milano could be a torts type player?

Torts saw the writing on the wall and that's why he wanted to leave. He wasn't being given players that suited his style.

Reactions: EspenK

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
According to JD's words they will be looking at people from the outside.

Of the current GMs in the league, there are only two (Hughes and Verbeek) mid-season hires who weren't internal replacements.

So my guess would be April at the earliest.
I believe it was stated in the rpess conference b JD that they would be handling the trade deadline. I do think they should want to take their time and find the right person after the season ends but give them enough time to prepare for the draft.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
“We’re in a position where we have a lot of talent and need to get to the next level,” Davidson said. “Experience is important, but it doesn’t have to mean that you’ve already been a general manager. You could be with a franchise as an assistant general manager and add great experience there working with good people and doing some winning. That’s what I think experience means.”

It could also mean experience gained from somewhere other than an NHL front office, which might be good news for Mark Hunter, GM of the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. Hunter, 61, has already had his name mentioned as a possible candidate by TSN insider Elliotte Friedman, and he's got built-in connections with the Blue Jackets.

“I’ve seen very experienced managers come out of junior that have been very good,” Davidson said. “There’s a lot of different areas you can look to, and there’s a lot of different levels of experience that are important and would work.”

Davidson pointed to Kelly McCrimmon as an example.

Davidson’s former team, the New York Rangers, are another rebuild success — even though he and former Rangers GM Jeff Gorton, now executive vice president of hockey operations for the Montreal Canadiens, were fired just one season before it fully came to fruition.

So, does that mean candidates who’ve “been there, done that,” elsewhere in a rebuild get a leg up in the Jackets' GM search?

Maybe.

“If you find somebody who’s been through the same, exact thing and gotten them to the next part of the racetrack, that’s great,” Davidson said. “I can sit right here, right now and say, ‘I’d like to have an individual who has this, this, this and this,’ but try to find it. It’s hard. We have to go through a very detailed process of trying to find that right person who’s going to be here for a long time, and it’s hard to find people. You don’t see many of them changing their jobs (in the NHL) that often.”

While the Blue Jackets are doing their best to keep interviews private, Davidson said candidates of all backgrounds will be considered if they impress he and Priest enough to warrant a call or visit.

“Male, female, I don’t care what they are or where they’re from as long as we think that person can do the job,” Davidson said. “That’s the only attitude to have. It’s the right way to think.”

Carolina Hurricanes assistant GM Eric Tulsky, for example, had no hockey background before his advanced mathematical mind paved a path to an NHL team’s executive suite a decade ago. Now, his name is usually listed as an option for open GM roles. There are also five female assistant GMs in the NHL plus a growing list of minorities working in front office roles.

“You don’t have to follow the cookie cutter avenue unless you find the exact right person,” Davidson said. “There’s nothing that says, ‘We’re going to do it this way.’ We’re going to do what’s right to get us to the next level.”

Davidson, it should be noted, went outside the box 11 years ago while hiring Kekalainen as the NHL's first European-born GM.

Is Davidson, who's 70, planning to retire?

That’s a question being asked more because of the Jackets’ turbulent season, but Davidson — who's recovered from a difficult back surgery ― doesn’t seem like a guy who's playing out the string. Things could change, but Davidson said he's re-energized and committed to getting the Blue Jackets into the discussion of the NHL’s top young teams.

“I’m driven to be part of the solution and make us win,” he said. “If ownership feels different, they’ll let me know. From my end, I just went through 2-1/2 months of (pain). (My doctor) in Columbus was great. He’s got me back on my feet, so I have a lot of energy right now. It wasn’t good, but I really want to be a part of the solution. I think I can help. If somebody up above me feels different, then we’ll take a different track, but I’m committed to Columbus. I’m committed to the Blue Jackets. I love it there.”

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

From my understanding , Larsens contract falls off the books after this season .. Who knows what they had to pay Babcock , I would guess it was pretty minimal , and wouldn’t affect how they move forward , or if they move forward with Vincent . Young players have developed well , but like a typical AHL coach , Vincent juggles his lines way too much .. pretty sure I read Roslovic has played every position in the 4 lines this season .. Also , Porty absolutely evicerated Vincent’s overuse of Boone in his podcast yesterday , referencing like we all know , multiple times Boone has shut it down due to back pain, and Vincent playing him 26 minutes the other night . The goal at this point isn’t winning every game over the cost of development and running players into the ground

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here are some players who were NOT Torts-type players:
Wennberg
Duclair
Milano
Bemstrom
Laine
Texier

I agree with the critique to an extent, but it's getting overstretched here.

Torts turned Texier and Bemstrom into some solid forecheckers. Texier was actually great at it a couple years ago. Those guys and Dubois and the Russian forward trio and Foudy were the ones drafted during Torts' tenure. I don't think they're bad fits in total.

Torts never trusted Wennberg to be the main shutdown center but he always got great defensive results. Wennberg had issues after his concussion that made us lose trust in the player but I think he's a fine middle of the lineup guy. Milano and Duclair were cheap projects that didn't fit but we didn't need to rely on them to any extent.

Laine is incapable of forechecking so yeah, he's a terrible fit, and everything in 2021 was a disaster. Domi, Roslovic, etc... damn was that year horrible.

That last year or so is where the critique made a lot of sense. But Jarmo's moves were coach killers in general, not just a problem for Torts. If you lose players like Bjorkstrand and Gavrikov, you're going to have some problems. Every coach would want players capable of forechecking and backchecking.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
there was a clip last week of weekes and demers on nhl network talking about the jackets and how they currently lack an identity, and how finding an identity doesn't necessarily mean becoming a 'tough' team.

they specifically pointed to carolina as an example of a team whose identity is skill-based. doesn't mean they don't have two-way players (they do) but they have a system and identity that empowers their skill guys and leverages their talent.

darche, tulsky and macfarland all come from teams that have had success building a skill-first roster and supplementing with toughness at the margins. from a roster build standpoint, this makes the most sense for the jackets given who their current top pieces are.

the alternative path is trying to set a "hard to play against" identity a la john tortorella, and reshape the roster to fit that. which aligns with the current coaching staff, but requires significantly more player/salary movement. which is a significantly bigger undertaking for a new GM.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
there was a clip last week of weekes and demers on nhl network talking about the jackets and how they currently lack an identity, and how finding an identity doesn't necessarily mean becoming a 'tough' team.

they specifically pointed to carolina as an example of a team whose identity is skill-based. doesn't mean they don't have two-way players (they do) but they have a system and identity that empowers their skill guys and leverages their talent.

darche, tulsky and macfarland all come from teams that have had success building a skill-first roster and supplementing with toughness at the margins. from a roster build standpoint, this makes the most sense for the jackets given who their current top pieces are.

the alternative path is trying to set a "hard to play against" identity a la john tortorella, and reshape the roster to fit that. which aligns with the current coaching staff, but requires significantly more player/salary movement. which is a significantly bigger undertaking for a new GM.
To what I've bolded, I think a lot of folks get hung up there.

I think Jarmo has built the roster toward being a certain kind of team, but the "identity" thing really only works when the team has success. It's hard for people to acknowledge a "skill" team when your team stinks.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
To what I've bolded, I think a lot of folks get hung up there.

I think Jarmo has built the roster toward being a certain kind of team, but the "identity" thing really only works when the team has success. It's hard for people to acknowledge a "skill" team when your team stinks.
to add to that: you can have an identity that makes sense for your roster while building.

montreal is a rebuilding team that plays a high-flying, exciting, fun brand of hockey. they've committed to giving their young players a lot of ice time to grow while embracing/developing their strengths and living with their weaknesses.

the immediate result is a lot of 6-5 type games, but it also lets them work through prolonged slumps for their young guys (caufield, slafkovsky) and turn guys like dach into legitimate cornerstone pieces.

if the jackets choose to embrace that type of identity (and they certainly have the pieces for it) the big issue in my mind would be that pascal vincent isn't wired for it, or patient enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad