What’s the team need?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Someone (sorry I forget who) put the list of series wins by all of the leafs gm's since 67 and it was pretty eye opening. Yikes it was bad like holy shit bad. The leafs have been really bad for a very long time. Not just since Tanenbaum.
56 years of futility sums it up pretty good. Two generations of Leafs fans have suffered. Another is progress.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
- a different head coach
- a top pairing true RHD
- players throughout the lineup who hate to lose.
- a bunch of give a crap by our top players.
- equal accountability for all players
Pretty good list of needs but I'm not holding my breath Tre can get it done in two months. It will take years to undo the damage the stick boy has done. Three draft picks this year. As Kyle would say, f*** me.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Starting to look like it needed Shanny to go alone with Dubas

Pretty good list of needs but I'm not holding my breath Tre can get it done in two months. It will take years to undo the damage the stick boy has done. Three draft picks this year. As Kyle would say, f*** me.
Maybe even longer if Shanny remains the puppet master

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
For me leafs need 2 thing

1-A 2 way d who can create offensive and able to have play a good defensive game... leafs would probably have to move brodie to get it done... Dumba could be a good target, maybe a change of scenary in his case can only be a good thing

2- better goaltending, Samsonov was a upgrade over Campbell but really inconsistant... he was able to steal a game but cost you the next one

Hellebuyck or Gibson. im still say the same thing than last year, im 100% sure Gibson moving out of the worst defensive team last 3 season to one of 5-6 best NHL D, you will have a Vezina and Conne smythe candidate with him + the fact he didnt had pretty great stats will drop his value and leafs would not necessairly have to pay premium asset to get him

Gibson woll for 700k of whats leafs paid their goalie last year for a much better tandem... just do it

3-bring back kampf and acciari and complete with player playing the right way in playoff

I dont think treliving can really trade 1 of core 4 1st year

Knies-Matthews-nylander
Robertson-tavares-marner
Jarnkrok-Acciari- Fast
perry-Kampf-Lafferty

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe -Dumba
Gio-Liljegren

Gibson
Woll

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
After this year's TDL I thought the Leafs were, by far, better positioned and better mentally inclined, to go on a deep run in the playoffs. The efforts against Tampa were acceptable, but not outstanding and we won a series. Yeah! The efforts against Florida - in games one and two - were again acceptable, but I can't say I was overwhelmed. And then came game 3. After that the chances were so slim as to be almost non-existent. Facing a goalie on a heater and a team buoyed by just being in the playoffs and then knocking off the hottest team in the league, we were toast.

After a few weeks away from participating here, my armchair perspective on what I saw can be distilled down to one point; for whatever reason(s) this team lacks a passion to compete when pressured in hard fought moments, and more disturbingly, it lacks the passion all great teams have when it comes to 'all for one, one for all.' They did not fight for each other, they did not protect each other, they did not stand up for each other, they did not respond for each other.

How this mentality evolved, I'll leave for better brains than mine to consider, but throughout this 4 or 5 year period of Leaf hockey I've yet to see this team display the type of passion that is required to win a Cup. It's just not part of the DNA of this team. Curiously, there are but a few constants who have been here that full period of time, and I tend to believe that the most important constants are those who play the game, not those who coach it or those who GM it.

There are 3 players on this team I would not move: Morgan Rielly, Matthew Knies and Joe Woll.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

1-A 2 way d who can create offensive and able to have play a good defensive game... leafs would probably have to move brodie to get it done... Dumba could be a good target, maybe a change of scenary in his case can only be a good thing

2- better goaltending, Samsonov was a upgrade over Campbell but really inconsistant... he was able to steal a game but cost you the next one

Hellebuyck or Gibson. im still say the same thing than last year, im 100% sure Gibson moving out of the worst defensive team last 3 season to one of 5-6 best NHL D, you will have a Vezina and Conne smythe candidate with him + the fact he didnt had pretty great stats will drop his value and leafs would not necessairly have to pay premium asset to get him

Gibson woll for 700k of whats leafs paid their goalie last year for a much better tandem... just do it

3-bring back kampf and acciari and complete with player playing the right way in playoff

Knies-Matthews-nylander
Robertson-tavares-marner
Jarnkrok-Acciari- Fast
perry-Kampf-Lafferty

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe -Dumba
Gio-Liljegren

Gibson
Woll
Not this again. Gibson sucks.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
After this year's TDL I thought the Leafs were, by far, better positioned and better mentally inclined, to go on a deep run in the playoffs. The efforts against Tampa were acceptable, but not outstanding and we won a series. Yeah! The efforts against Florida - in games one and two - were again acceptable, but I can't say I was overwhelmed. And then came game 3. After that the chances were so slim as to be almost non-existent. Facing a goalie on a heater and a team buoyed by just being in the playoffs and then knocking off the hottest team in the league, we were toast.

After a few weeks away from participating here, my armchair perspective on what I saw can be distilled down to one point; for whatever reason(s) this team lacks a passion to compete when pressured in hard fought moments, and more disturbingly, it lacks the passion all great teams have when it comes to 'all for one, one for all.' They did not fight for each other, they did not protect each other, they did not stand up for each other, they did not respond for each other.

How this mentality evolved, I'll leave for better brains than mine to consider, but throughout this 4 or 5 year period of Leaf hockey I've yet to see this team display the type of passion that is required to win a Cup. It's just not part of the DNA of this team. Curiously, there are but a few constants who have been here that full period of time, and I tend to believe that the most important constants are those who play the game, not those who coach it or those who GM it.

There are 3 players on this team I would not move: Morgan Rielly, Matthew Knies and Joe Woll.
Hard to argue with this.

At the same time, I can understand why Treliving is more inclined to "keep knocking at the door" with this core than try a new formula. As he said, it's hard to find talent like we have and so it's tempting to "run it back"-- even though we've been pondering our lack of killer instinct out loud for years.

Ironically, for those clamoring for substantial changes to the roster, that outcome was probably more likely with Dubas at the helm, since he knew this group better than anyone and was on the hot seat for playoff results, vs. a newcomer like Treliving, who might be more inclined to believe he can find the magic formula to get this core to deliver the goods--not to mention the grace period to allow for a "wait-and-see" approach.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
Father says the move is to get rid of Shanahan and the rest will fall into place

:handclap:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
More than anything they need new ownership.

We can't keep facts from the people. Truth must be known. Only then can a nation overcome crisis.

The crisis facing Leafs Nation is a corruption of power.

The morals of the people are being prejudiced from above. Corroding the fan base below. The sins of our leaders are multiple.

For proof, let the facts be submitted:

In their Sloth, they have been blasphemous in their procrastinations, idly failing to fix the top heavy structure of the team for years.

In their Jealousy, they enviously guard their fan base, deriding the achievements of others.

In their Greed, they magnify the material, making the manufacturing of merchandise their main method of money making.

In their Gluttony, they propound as primary purpose the properties of power, possession, and prestige.

In their Pride, they produce great works of advertising, indulging in pious self enhancement and individual accolades.

In their Wrath, they have dominated the media, with singular purpose to coerce the minds of the masses.

In their Lust, for control, they have made genocide their habit, maintaining a continual state of war between themselves and the rest of Leafs Nation.

To sound the alarm is not to panic. But to incite action from an inflamed population. Only when a Nation works together can a crisis be overcome.

And Leafs Nation has the greatest fan base in the world.

We can, and we will.

Overcome.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Not this again. Gibson sucks.
His team suck

Just watch Vasilevskiy, he just lost mcdonaugh and palat defensivly and finishing with a carreer high 2.65 goal allowed game... We saw when tampa lost cernak too, it was even more difficult at time for tampa d group especially to keep their leadThey was unable to clear the front of net, so Vasilevskiy played the entire serie with screen, deflection and started to struggling really bad...

imagine play in front a d who cant clear the front of the net, unable to be 1st on rebound, unable to play 2v1,3 v2...giving up highest scoring chance and shot against, high scoring chance and shot against, playing the biggest part of the game in your own zone...

Just watched what happened with Jack Campbell/Ilya Samsonov/filip Gustavsson/ cam Talbot/ Linus ulmark to see whats a good/bad defensive team can change

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Goaltending could use an upgrade, if we can get a Hellebyuck or Gibson. But I believe in Samsonov enough if someone like that can't be had.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
- a different head coach
- a top pairing true RHD
- players throughout the lineup who hate to lose.
- a bunch of give a crap by our top players.
- equal accountability for all players

The one thing BT can do in the short term is change the defense make up. My fantasy changeover is everyone out except Rielly and McCabe with McCabe earmarked for the 3rd pairing. Get younger, bigger, meaner on the defense.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The team needs to play like a team. Stick up for eachother, push-back, show some damn pride, JT getting abused and face-washed and everyone skates away is not a team
This x a million percent......one of the biggest pet peeves of mine with this team. If we lose playing like this it will still suck but not near as much.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Knies-Matthews-nylander
Robertson-tavares-marner
Jarnkrok-Acciari- Fast
perry-Kampf-Lafferty

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe -Dumba
Gio-Liljegren

Gibson
Woll
Do not see a different result with that squad

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Well....

First off.....we need some luck....plain and simple.

Second the NHL and all its wisdom changes rules during playoffs...so we need some goons who dont play in the regular season but can succeed in the new rules in the playoffs.

Can we put several goons in the press box?

Third....stop wasting resources every year on old slow players. How many times do we have to go to the well to figure out its not working. ROR was another waste of assets....living off reputation. If he had a European name ....this place would blow up on how bad he was.

4th and probably the most important part of success in the playoffs is a hot goalie. Can we get one.....Its like guessing the lottery numbers. Our luck we waste resources on a high profile goalie only to still not get anywhere in the playoffs.

Reilly played well in the playoffs. He isn't a number 1 defencemen......he just isn't. Schenn was good with him because instead of trying to have puck possession ...he just continued to bank them off the boards.

We are not far off. Yes a second center would nice to move a slower Tavares on the wing. Would they try Nylander there?

We have some kids that are ready to play for us....They just need playing time....not the nickel and dime stuff Keefer does. Our bottom six have to be faster...and play tougher and get some scoring ...Not a easy task to find IMHO

Why is the team so successful during the season? record breaking? and falter in the playoffs? Is it a coincidence that several of the teams they lost to make it to the finals?

Been watching the leafs for over 50 yrs.....I swear there is a curse.

Just hope Kessel wins another....just to rub it in the media faces in TO. :)

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Just ask florida if they dont see difference between this season goaltending and past season
Its more the change of culture/different type of player....your list keeps everything status quo with the core guys. Florida got rid of 2 pretty good players for Tkachuk. Bob playing the way he is def helps but I believe bringing in a guy like Tkachuk just changed the mindset of the team with the way he plays. He is a leader and plays the way I want my top guy to play. I dont see our top guys bringing many of the same qualities.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Its more the change of culture/different type of player....your list keeps everything status quo with the core guys. Florida got rid of 2 pretty good players for Tkachuk. Bob playing the way he is def helps but I believe bringing in a guy like Tkachuk just changed the mindset of the team with the way he plays. He is a leader and plays the way I want my top guy to play. I dont see our top guys bringing many of the same qualities.

Its not about changing of culture the difference between this playoff panthers and last 2... the difference was Bobrovsky playing like a vezina winner and nothing else. Not about Tkachuk or about panthers D, all about Bobrovsky

Number of expected goal against: 67.45... average of 3.57 goal/60 allowed ( was at 3.30 in regular season as exemple)
Number of goal allowed by Florida 48 2.54( and its taking in consideration game of lyon who didn't look good at all)
So Brobrovsky save 20 goal over expected

If Bobrovsky is not there, florida was out after 5 game and Tkachuk finishing playoff with 2 goal 4 assist, simple as that...

Florida had been outplayed in every series against Boston, Toronto and Carolina. In none of those series Florida was the best team but Bobrovsky was by far the best player...

and i will tell you if bobrovsky dont play at the same level he did since the beggining, florida dont have a single chance against vegas and can easily lost it in 4

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Its not about changing of culture the difference between this playoff panthers and last 2... the difference was Bobrovsky playing like a vezina winner and nothing else. Not about Tkachuk or about panthers D, all about Bobrovsky

Number of expected goal against: 67.45... average of 3.57 goal/60 allowed ( was at 3.30 in regular season as exemple)
Number of goal allowed by Florida 48 2.54( and its taking in consideration game of lyon who didn't look good at all)
So Brobrovsky save 20 goal over expected

If Bobrovsky is not there, florida was out after 5 game and Tkachuk finishing playoff with 2 goal 4 assist, simple as that...

Florida had been outplayed in every series against Boston, Toronto and Carolina. In none of those series Florida was the best team but Bobrovsky was by far the best player...

and i will tell you if bobrovsky dont play at the same level he did since the beggining, florida dont have a single chance against vegas and can easily lost it in 4
Agree to disagree

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Agree to disagree

How many one goal game florida won in playoff (without empty net goal) 10 of 12( 83 of their win) ... How many goal by game above expected Bobrovsky allowed? 1

just let you make a small calcul of how many of those game would not result as a win just if Bobrovsky was not in a GOD MOD?

You cant disagree with it, its just a fact... sometime the difference between winning and losing is really thin

Last edited:

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Going into the season with Cap Space, Promote Players from within, accrue space to acquire the players we need, rather than be hitched to an overpriced FA that will further anchor our in season flexibility. Grit also, can't forget the grit.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
They desperately need some grit on their top 6. Any time in the playoffs, the opposing team can shut down this soft ass core with ease, especially in important games. They need a Sam Bennett or Tom Wilson type in the top 6 and somebody like Corey Perry in the bottom along with Reaves or somebody to be a 13F and not allow this team to be bullied.

They also need a shut down, top 4 RH D. Brett Pesce would be awesome on this team I think.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad