Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
But what about the gambling revenue.

That's the whole reason AM bought the franchise (other than to give the middle finger to the NBA for not letting him buy the Hawks).

I don't know why AM would go to Tribe land if he can't control the gambling revenue from a potential arena.
My guess is that there’s a shared profit of it all (ticket sales, parking, concessions, betting ect) something would have to be agreed upon. The reservation is strictly only
providing the land, that’s it. The infrastructure, build ect would be the responsibility of the Muerelo group.

Could be something could not be. I’m a little more optimistic now than I was 14 hours ago, but not by much.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
My guess is that there’s a shared profit of it all (ticket sales, parking, concessions, betting ect) something would have to be agreed upon. The reservation is strictly only
providing the land, that’s it. The infrastructure, build ect would be the responsibility of the Muerelo group.

Could be something could not be. I’m a little more optimistic now than I was 14 hours ago, but not by much.
Me too. Here’s hoping. Should’ve been option #1. Could the team have been surprised by the need to go to referendum after all?

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I can guarantee you the SRPM community would love to get Gila River badge off our jerseys, plus Talking Stick Resort Arena pt 2.. advertising, etc and shared revenue.

Reactions: Grimes

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Could the team have been surprised by the need to go to referendum after all?

No. Was going to happen no matter what.

For me, it's more so the rejection after the Tempe City Council voted in favor of it 7-0.

If the people you elected want it, shouldn't you want it too? Especially after every single living Mayor/former Mayor of Tempe endorsed the project as well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I feel like this summer and next season will be super toxic unless the team and SRPIC come out with something concrete ASAP.

Every femtosecond that passes with silence from Meruelo/Bluebird erodes the sand under our feet that much more.

Expound upon this.
Terrible location and accessibility for 70% of the Valley, terrible city administration, not enough infrastructure or ability to make a worthwhile deal with the franchise... non-starter.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If we think Tempe voters are stubborn NIMBY types, we aren’t ready for the big hairy monster that is Mesa voters. They’ve literally sat back and watched their city decay rather than invest anything ever or try anything new. Period. They’re like the old people in those hoarding shows that would rather be crushed by their own junk than change anything at all about their habits.

Hah.... Mesa is the center of the NIMBY Universe. Anyone who watched how they reacted to the Cardinals potentially building their stadium there would know.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Lots of cities left in ARZ and 2 years is a long time.

Any city outside of downtown Phoenix or Tempe is going to have the same fundamental problem as Glendale - inaccessibility for a lot of people. Without a true mass transit system (which people have tried and failed to get built for 40 years, thanks to the f***ing elderly NIMBYs who keep voting against it), location is paramount for this to work.

Reactions: Edenjung

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's not the arena sharing, it's the location.

It's the financing. Which addresses the location issue because it's only possible to get deals of this size done in desirable locations. Mereulo doesn't have the ability to finance a TED size project outright without securing it via valuable land value and/or revenue producing buildings like apartments. That gave anyone buying the commercial paper a fallback.

Leaseholds on tribal land are less appealing and more complicated.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Leaseholds on tribal land are less appealing and more complicated
Which is why unless there is like some ownership stake involved for the tribe, I see no way of building an arena/district on Salt River land.

The revenue generation would be way too complex, and lord only knows if AM would be able to make any money on tribe land.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think a lot of this is premature until they figure out where the Yotes *will* be in September. Because they'll be *somewhere*. I mean, if they are forced to have one more lame duck season in Mullett I see....5 people it affects. Everyone else will have their contracts up.

But, yeah, Keller and Crouse are the 2 players most affected, easily.

Mesa is Glendale 2.0.
I don't see that way at all. You win over LDS leaders, you win the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad