Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Waiting for Cooley news. Pretty sure he's going back to school next season lol. Can't believe this isn't past the point of no return and isn't going to unravel piece by piece, player by player. I'd imagine BA's budget just took a huge hit too. Our lame duck attendance figures will probably make the Oakland A's attendance look better.

"the only thing harder than winning a Stanley Cup (avoiding relocation) is doing it twice (three times.)"

Last edited:
Reactions: Nowotny

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs fan here and I just want to know two things from somebody who is ignorant about this situation.

1. Why would the citizens turn down something that would increase jobs? Does this deal involve taxpayer money and why it was voted "no?"

2. Can't the Coyotes just play in the same arena with the Phoenix Suns? Is it an infrastructure problem with the arena or is the owner like Skip Bayless?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Avs fan here and I just want to know two things from somebody who is ignorant about this situation.

1. Why would the citizens turn down something that would increase jobs? Does this deal involve taxpayer money and why it was voted "no?"

2. Can't the Coyotes just play in the same arena with the Phoenix Suns? Is it an infrastructure problem with the arena or is the owner like Skip Bayless?
1. Opposition campaign booted out from the jump with the misinformation campaign. They had some extremely wealth California based Unions financially backing them, after said unions were not chosen by Meruelo to build the arena (Meuerlo wanted local union workers to build the arena district).

Minsinfo, combined with millions of dollars worth of money won out ... especially with Meruelo and co. only spending about $250k to activate the vote for the arena.

2. No. It's not suited for hockey. There were obstructed seats way back when they played downtown, which would come into play now. The franchise was barely breaking even when they played at America West the first few years they were here; same thing would happen now.

Reactions: Nowotny and S E P H

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun

1. No real taxpayer money involved. This is the same city that built an old folks home next to a concert venue, the old folks complained and got the venue closed. Old people vote there and they like the idea that they're this quiet little community. Coyotes didn't spend enough to activate other voters

2. There's like 5k obstructed view seats there. Suns owner owns both the Suns and Mercury, its just not that great of a situation to go there. They probably could pay the Suns owner but that'd be a pretty raw deal more than likely. The Suns owner is new so it's possible he would be more open to something than the previous owner but it isn't likely

Reactions: S E P H

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
The Suns owner is new so it's possible he would be more open to something than the previous owner but it isn't likely
My secret nuclear option, far fetched hope, is Meuerlo is reaching out to Ishbia right now, proposing a shared arena in Mesa.

Don't know how the financial logistics would work, but it'd be nice to see both of them in the same arena again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
PHNXCoyotes post mortem..... Craig expands on his tweet about "there's a path in Arizona" at 25:00 mark.

Craig told them off camera about the SRPIC being the way forward I feel like because Peters is heavily hinting at it. I honestly don't see how that path gets them the revenue streams necessary to survive.

Reactions: TheLegend

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Craig told them off camera about the SRPIC being the way forward I feel like because Peters is heavily hinting at it. I honestly don't see how that path gets them the revenue streams necessary to survive.
Unless the Salt River Nation gets some sort of ownership stake, I have no clue how it would work.

On top of all the revenue issues, building the arena itself is complex. Not only would we have to get Tribe approval, we'd have to get Federal Government approval from BIA as well.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I don't know all the details with this, but I felt the same when the Lighthouse Project was rejected for the Islanders. They seemed as good as gone.

Maybe this is more far gone, I hope not for you guys and as a proud owner of 5 different Coyotes jerseys.

Was planning on making it to a game this year, still plan on it, just hope it's not the last in Arizona.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Thanks gents, I can't believe something that would bring jobs with no taxpayer money got voted down. What's wrong with you lots state?
The short answer is "we're American". We've got a lot of intelligent, hard working, prudent people trying to do good things.......and a lot of other people, too.

I don't know all the details with this, but I felt the same when the Lighthouse Project was rejected for the Islanders. They seemed as good as gone.

Maybe this is more far gone, I hope not for you guys and as a proud owner of 5 different Coyotes jerseys.

Was planning on making it to a game this year, still plan on it, just hope it's not the last in Arizona.
I went to Tampa and Sunrise 20 years ago, and have since been to every current arena in the NHL, except, strangely, Winnipeg. I should go home again (I'm from Titusville) next season, maybe, for a hockey trip.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
My secret nuclear option, far fetched hope, is Meuerlo is reaching out to Ishbia right now, proposing a shared arena in Mesa.

Don't know how the financial logistics would work, but it'd be nice to see both of them in the same arena again.
Aren’t the suns in Footprint for 30 years or something? I doubt that’s going to happen.

It’s Tribes or bust. The fact that we can even have this conversation today is absurdly hilarious. Haha

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If we think Tempe voters are stubborn NIMBY types, we aren’t ready for the big hairy monster that is Mesa voters. They’ve literally sat back and watched their city decay rather than invest anything ever or try anything new. Period. They’re like the old people in those hoarding shows that would rather be crushed by their own junk than change anything at all about their habits.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
If we think Tempe voters are stubborn NIMBY types, we aren’t ready for the big hairy monster that is Mesa voters. They’ve literally sat back and watched their city decay rather than invest anything ever or try anything new. Period. They’re like the old people in those hoarding shows that would rather be crushed by their own junk than change anything at all about their habits.
I mean, if you can get the LDS Ward Bishops, and Stake President's to endorse your project....

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Got a little something today, take with a grain of salt but it’s on the basis of what I had wrote last night in regards to the salt river deal. Sounds like it was done before Tempe but Tempe had the land option that’s why they went with that. Deal still stands. Arena, shopping, restaurants ect plus the en-suite sports book. Heard, which is funny, relocation is the single last option. Doesn’t sound like AM has any interest on selling the team either.

Could be complete bs but this connect has seemed to be pretty spot on. Unknown on time of update by the team or nhl.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Unless the Salt River Nation gets some sort of ownership stake, I have no clue how it would work.

On top of all the revenue issues, building the arena itself is complex. Not only would we have to get Tribe approval, we'd have to get Federal Government approval from BIA as well.
We’d have to look at the agreements they have in the spring training facility with dbacks/Rockies. They would also have pull on the gambling license I would imagine as well. Who knows.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Got a little something today, take with a grain of salt but it’s on the basis of what I had wrote last night in regards to the salt river deal. Sounds like it was done before Tempe but Tempe had the land option that’s why they went with that. Deal still stands. Arena, shopping, restaurants ect plus the en-suite sports book. Heard, which is funny, relocation is the single last option. Doesn’t sound like AM has any interest on selling the team either.

Could be complete bs but this connect has seemed to be pretty spot on. Unknown on time of update by the team or nhl.
But what about the gambling revenue.

That's the whole reason AM bought the franchise (other than to give the middle finger to the NBA for not letting him buy the Hawks).

I don't know why AM would go to Tribe land if he can't control the gambling revenue from a potential arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad