Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
How they ran the campaign didn't matter. Anyone that's been here for a couple decades should have known this didn't have a chance to win a vote. Did he put it to a vote just so he could sell it? Maybe but if so, why pay all that money to ASU? Or maybe that part happened because Glendale blinked first and that wasn't part of his plan. Who knows. All I know is this state has proven it isn't voting for new stadiums/arenas too many times. For the 4th or 5th most popular sport, not a chance. How good of a deal it may have been is irrelevant. I said this from the beginning and was called negative. I call it reality. They need a deal that isn't going to require a public vote if there even is a chance they are staying at this point.

My advice to all of you, stay off any other board here for a few months. It's not going to be pleasant.
Same goes about listening to NHL Network radio.I am sure Kouleas & comp. will bring schadenfreude to new levels.....

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ

They threw this thing on purpose. They took a dive.

Absolutely went into it arms down and hit the canvas face down. I'd honestly never considered they might do that until my kid said last night, "Well, I think it's what they want to happen. Then Meruelo plays the whole 'Welp! I tried!' and turns the team for a tidy profit and they go elsewhere."

I've never trusted that shyster, anyway. How many STHs are going to cancel their tickets now? They're here MAYBE one more lame duck season. Absolute gong show. I'm waiting for the eventual news after he sells the team that he never had the dough to pull off building TED, anyway, and how Tempe dodged a bullet.

The deal was "the best arena deal in the history of Arizona" and yet Daddy Warbucks couldn't pony up the money it took to win this thing? Did someone forget to tell him Tank Mode ended with the last game of the season? Incredible. Just incredible.

Reactions: PainForShane

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It's really bad optics for the league to have a good arena deal shot down like that. So I can't imagine Bettman is terribly thrilled to have to forego fees in some other market on top of the embarrassment.
Winnipeg only happened because they needed a location right away that had to be turnkey. The Manitoba Moose operating successfully as an AHL franchise and being able to take the team practically overnight is the only reason the NHL allowed a franchise to move there. Atlanta had nowhere to play and nobody wanted to own them.

The Coyotes have an owner who seems to have very, very little interest in making a go of it in Arizona. He spent nothing on the campaign. They didn’t even try. They’re playing as temporary guests in an NCAA rink.

The NHL does NOT want to go back to Quebec but that’s the only market with a new building, willing owners, and a turnkey operation (The Remparts have been selling 18,000 tickets per game this playoffs). Could this be the one in a million shot Quebec has to get a team? Like Winnipeg did?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Weekes has already implied Houston. They are the city the league wants but they don't want to pay expansion rates. It's an acceptable sidegrade for Bettman to sell to the other owners.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Sorry about your loss guys, your fanbase has been dragged through the mud for years on and off the ice.

You’re a loyal bunch and I hope whatever team you guys latch onto next has success you can enjoy finally. :)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The NHL does NOT want to go back to Quebec but that’s the only market with a new building, willing owners, and a turnkey operation (The Remparts have been selling 18,000 tickets per game this playoffs). Could this be the one in a million shot Quebec has to get a team? Like Winnipeg did?

One of the major issues with the Quebec expansion bid was they didn’t have willing owners waiting to pay the price for a franchise.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Condolences to all the Yotes fans here & in the valley. Was hoping there actually was a Plan B, but looks like XG's & Bettman's statements sound as if they don't have a way forward.

Really sucks the voters didn't see through all the bullshit, but as a small consolation you guys will one day have the last laugh if/when another municipality gets bent over building them an arena with a financing deal that looks worse than Calgary's.

Reactions: RABBIT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad