Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
they could've moved it if they really wanted to. didn't seem they really wanted johnny so they didn't make the move.
They absolutely could have moved him... but while everyone is focusing on JVR and the Flyers possibly trading him for a second time after signing him to a large contract... how about how long they knew they were going to get the chance at Gaudreau and then signing Ristolainen and DeAngelo to those deals... spending assets to get Tony D... and then not wanting to spend assets to get rid of JVR. They gave four years to Deslaurier... the Flyers are a disaster.

Reactions: NJDevs26

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
And god forbid we try to win now! Good grief...

And, by the way, the bank isn't broken. At all. Johnsson and Tatar's expiring contracts free up $7.9M next summer. That alone covers Palat + two of Zetterlund/Holtz/Stillman/Clarke/etc ELCs.

Enough with the sky-is-falling hyperbole. Is it a big contract? Sure. Can we stomach it? Yes... comfortably.
This isn't sky-is-falling hyperbole. I've repeatedly said I think Palat is a good player. I've also said that this contract won't submarine the Devils' cap sheet.

You can call a spade a spade though. It's a bad contract. I'm just calling it fairly.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Why wouldn't they move him now? They just dumped Brent Burns and look to be finally in rebuild mode.
I don't know that trading a 37 year old defenseman signals entering a full rebuild. It was a move they needed to make. But it makes it easier to afford meier if they want to extend him. Right now I just view it at obtaining cap flexibility.

Becher has said that they are highly unlikely to go through a proactive rebuild, so I think they will start evaluating whether to trade Meier next year if he doesn't want to stick.

Grier hasn't been there long and hasn't made any overtures of jumping into a rebuild as far as I'm aware and trading burns doesn't make me think they are blowing for bedard. I'm not truly sure that they could burn it down anyway given ek, vlasic and couture would be very difficult to move (hertl also has an nmc) .

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If we're not going to win now then when are we going to win? It's been the better part of a decade, the fanbase is close to rioting and ownership is uneasy. We finally have our young core in place and everyone in the organization from ownership down to the players have repeatedly talked about taking the next step.

Your original point was that it's optimal to spend some money on cheap veteran depth and some money on good scoring players, and that Palat was a bad contract because you we overpaid to get both things. These are your words:

You're literally saying cheap veteran depth + cheap inexperienced forward > Palat.

So whos this other, better, cheaper forward? Why are they signing in NJ for a cheaper price than Palat did, and how are they going to be better additions than Tatar/Johnsson were?

We added +110 playoff games of experience with just Haula and B. Smith. That's cheap veteran depth, Fitz actually did what you're begging him to. We checked your Box 1, then added a guy that checked both boxes, and we still have the 7th most cap space in the league.

What do you mean more cap flexibility? We have FIVE players under contract next season! 45M in cap space! wtf is Palat going to stop us from doing, signing Lamar Jackson?
I've been in the win-now camp since last year. If Fitz were serious about winning now, the blueline still needs a significant upgrade. Palat is a good player but the biggest needs on the team are still question marks (defence, goaltending - though Vanecek was a decent bet).

I never said there was a "better, cheaper" forward. I said they could add cheap "experience" or "leadership" and still upgrade the roster elsewhere.

By cap flexibility, I mean not having an inefficient contract on the books long-term when the team will have Hischier, Jack, Bratt, Hamilton, Severson (or a replacement) on large contracts, and significant raises for all of the kids coming up.

I mean, you continually misconstrue what I say, so I'm not sure what the point in discussing with you this is. Can't believe it's so hard to admit that they got a good player on a bad contract. That is not a unique thing.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I don't think i've posted on Palat topic till now, but I really like Palat coming here. I think he'll add that to that mix those parts that were missing on our squad.

Clutch, playoff/cup(x2) tested demeanor, win attitude trialed by steady improvement in the TB squads. They were saying on ESPN/national broadcasts that this guy has an EXCELLENT work ethic from day 1, they talked about his childhood and that he's earned everything he's gotten so far with that consistent work ethic. (Again, I'm paraphrasing whomever was hyping him up during the SC run this year on national broadcast)

To the term concerns, i don't think it will be a huge problem. We've done worse deals and I don't think it will be so hindering, or at least it seems this is being overplayed.

I think this might be an even better setup for NJ than it would be with the theoretical Johnny Hockey coming here. Yes not as flashy, but we need a guy whose play is like the players of our old NJD teams of past glory. We'll also have some money saved up for Bratt to give him a proper contract.

At least playoff Palat looks great. Obviously I didn't follow his regular season form so in detail, probably most of us never have, but I think this is a great move for our team from what we've seen in his playoff form.

Last edited:

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
If we're not going to win now then when are we going to win? It's been the better part of a decade, the fanbase is close to rioting and ownership is uneasy. We finally have our young core in place and everyone in the organization from ownership down to the players have repeatedly talked about taking the next step.
I'd say in more or less 3 years when (hopefully) Hughes, Nemec and Holtz are serious contributors, our young players develop a bit more, goaltending is fixed and all of those factors attract a better head coach than Lindy Ruff.

I may end up being wrong (and would love to) but I think that we will miss the play-offs and pick around #10~ this year unless our goaltending trio surprises us positively. I think there's no way we're a serious contender in 2022-23 and a lot of things would have to be right to be contending for a cup in 2023-24. Will Palat be a top six forward at that point? Time will tell.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Here's a list of all 2nd line UFA forwards signed to 5+ year deals since the NHL limited players to 7 years max:

David Clarkson 7yr, $36.8m
Valtteri FIlppula 5yr, $25m
Nathan Horton 7yr, $37.1m
Vinny Lecavalier 5yr, $22.5m
Stephen Weiss 5yr, $24.5m

Ryan Callahan 6yr, $34.8m
Matt Moulson 5yr, $25m

David Backes 5yr, $30m
Loui Eriksson 6yr, $36m
Andrew Ladd 7yr, $38.5m
Milan Lucic 7yr, $42m
Frans Nielsen 6yr, $31.5m
Kyle Okposo 7yr, $42m

Alex Radulov 5yr, $31.3m

James Van Reimsdyk 5yr, $35m
James Neal 5yr, $28.8m

Mats Zuccarello 5yr, $30m

Zach Hyman 7yr, $38.5m
Philip Danault 6yr, $33m
Blake Coleman 6yr, $29.4m
Jaden Schwartz 5yr, $27.5m
Brandon Saad 5yr, $22.5m

Reactions: bossram

Camille the Eel

I'd say in more or less 3 years when (hopefully) Hughes, Nemec and Holtz are serious contributors, our young players develop a bit more, goaltending is fixed and all of those factors attract a better head coach than Lindy Ruff.

I may end up being wrong (and would love to) but I think that we will miss the play-offs and pick around #10~ this year unless our goaltending trio surprises us positively. I think there's no way we're a serious contender in 2022-23 and a lot of things would have to be right to be contending for a cup in 2023-24. Will Palat be a top six forward at that point? Time will tell.
I’m confident Palat has 3 seasons in him at the current level. With Luke and Nemec here we could be ready for a playoff spot by season two or playoff run by season 3. From that point on we can contend seriously for 3 to 5 more years. That’s where I see the window.

Palat is a good move in terms of us becoming seriously competitive game in game out this coming season. Who knows we may even surprise with a playoff spot this year - whats nice about this signing and other moves is that there looks to be more hope for that. A lot depends on what Jack and Nico show this year, Jack above all. If he continues this year on last year’s development trajectory . . . who knows ? We could jump to an entirely different level.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Here's a list of all 2nd line UFA forwards signed to 5+ year deals since the NHL limited players to 7 years max:

Matt Moulson 5yr, $25m

David Backes 5yr, $30m
Loui Eriksson 6yr, $36m
Andrew Ladd 7yr, $38.5m
Milan Lucic 7yr, $42m
Kyle Okposo 7yr, $42m

Alex Radulov 5yr, $31.3m

James Neal 5yr, $28.8m

Zach Hyman 7yr, $38.5m
Philip Danault 6yr, $33m
Brandon Saad 5yr, $22.5m
Woof. Amazing how teams never learn.

Ready for the rationalizations about how and why Palat will be different.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Nothing rough about the last couple days.

Signed a solid veteran defensmen, overpaid a bit for a quality top 6 winger, brought in a really good assistant coach, traded Zacha for a solid middle 6 forward, signed Nemec to an ELC.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what he’s done. Who knows what else he’s been doing but he’s he’s checked off a lot of the things from the off-season checklist.
Doesn’t take much to keep you happy. Do you enjoy being an apologist for management. Palat contract is throwing money away. Guy will be lucky be lucky to score 15 goals for his 6 mill and that is year one. All downhill from there. Contract was some knee jerk reaction to getting snubbed by JG. Could have had Jarnkrok for 50% of that money Im guessing. Anyway nice early retirement package for palat

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Woof. Amazing how teams never learn.

Ready for the rationalizations about how and why Palat will be different.

He won't be, I don't think anyone is arguing if Palat is gonna decline it's just when. If you think he can give 3 years of decent play on that contract then it's not the end of the world. If you think he's gonna fall off the cliff as soon as next year, it's horrendous.

Reactions: Darkauron

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This isn't sky-is-falling hyperbole. I've repeatedly said I think Palat is a good player. I've also said that this contract won't submarine the Devils' cap sheet.

You can call a spade a spade though. It's a bad contract. I'm just calling it fairly.

Sounds like you need to get your story straight then, because you've been griping about cap flexibility and contract efficiency for several pages now.

I'll also point out that you have no frigging idea whether this contract is "efficient" or not, whatever that means. Perhaps we let Year 1 of 5 play out before tattooing a label on the deal?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Doesn’t take much to keep you happy. Do you enjoy being an apologist for management. Palat contract is throwing money away. Guy will be lucky be lucky to score 15 goals for his 6 mill and that is year one. All downhill from there. Contract was some knee jerk reaction to getting snubbed by JG. Could have had Jarnkrok for 50% of that money Im guessing. Anyway nice early retirement package for palat
lol.

Such a knee jerk that it was being talked about well before free agency even opened.

I hope Jarnkrok could be had for 50% or less. He had 4 points last season.
You’re just delusional.

Scored 15 goals 3 seasons in a row including in COVID shortened seasons but he’s be lucky to hit that next season. Lmao

Reactions: glenwo2

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sounds like you need to get your story straight then, because you've been griping about cap flexibility and contract efficiency for several pages now.

I'll also point out that you have no frigging idea whether this contract is "efficient" or not, whatever that means. Perhaps we let Year 1 of 5 play out before tattooing a label on the deal?

Matt Moulson 5yr, $25m

David Backes 5yr, $30m
Loui Eriksson 6yr, $36m
Andrew Ladd 7yr, $38.5m
Milan Lucic 7yr, $42m
Kyle Okposo 7yr, $42m

Alex Radulov 5yr, $31.3m

James Neal 5yr, $28.8m

Zach Hyman 7yr, $38.5m
Philip Danault 6yr, $33m
Brandon Saad 5yr, $22.5m
I think these all aged beautifully.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Is he worth it if it costs us the buy out cost of $2M per year over double the length of the remaining years or the 1st round pick? What if it is after 3 years where we need to get rid of him?

We are talking about a 31 year old who has a reasonably physical style and has played a significant amount of playoff hockey.

IMO this is one of the worst contracts handed out this offseason. Perhaps not the worst but its near the bottom.
This contract runs through 2026-27. Our only other current commitments past next year are Hamilton at $9 million, Hughes $8 million, Hischier $7.25, Mercer $900k, and Brendan Smith just signed at 1.1, as well as other ELCs. Let's say we sign Bratt to a max term deal. Let's estimate high and say he gets the Thomas contract - 8 years, $8 million. We also need to sign Boqvist, Wood, Vanecek, Thompson, and Zetterlund. I forget the exact parameters of what Wood can get in ARB, but that's a 1 year commitment so it's basically meaningless. Boqvist I can see getting $1.5x2 as a player with a decent number of games played at this point. Zetterlund probably more like $1x2, Thompson probably less than that. Let's say Vanecek gets $2.5x2. Let's jump ahead to next offseason.

2023-24
Using our projections from above, we have $39,250,000 committed. We can probably safely assume Foote and Holtz make the team. They will still be on ELCs this year making less than $900k. Other forwards we have to re-sign are Sharangovich, Bastian, McLeod, Tatar, Johnsson, Haula, Wood. Let's say we keep Haula of the 3 UFAs and he get's $2x2 or something. Sharangovich, let's say he plays mostly on Jack's wing again this year and hits 30 goals. We can sign him to a 5 year deal that takes him through 27-28, past when Palat's contract will be gone. Let's say he gets $5.5 million. McLeod and Bastian are probably either non-tendered or sign for around $1 million. Wood is probably gone either because he came back and performed well enough to earn a bigger contract than I want to give him, or he fizzles.

On D, We expect Nemec and Luke will both begin playing on their ELCs this year and expect both to play for NJ. We have Severson, Graves Seigenthaler, Ty smith, and Bahl on expiring contracts. I really don't see a world where Ty Smith fits with us long term so let's assume he's traded for futures or something. Graves walks, Let's say Seigs gets the same defensive D contract that everyone got this offseason of something like 4x$4.25. Let's say Bahl gets 2x$1.2. I think the right move is to keep Severson. Let's say he gets 6x$7.

Impossible to guess what goalie looks like, so I'm just going to budget $5 million each year for that moving forward.
Total commitments: $67,139,000

2024-25

Projections from above, we have about $64,289,000 committed. after B. Smith, Mercer, and Foote all expire. It's tough to project Mercer, but let's assume we sign him to a bridge deal at a $5 aav. Foote maybe costs $2 million unless he is much better than I think he is. ELC D-man +850k. Holtz, again tough to predict but let's say he is good and we want to sign him long-term for $8 million aav.
Total commitments: $72,139.00

2025-26

Using our projections and continuing to just lump goaltending as $5 million, Zetterlund, Boqvist, and Thompson all need to be reupped. We had their contracts pegged at about $3.25 million before, so we have just under $70 million committed. Holtz is also off his ELC going into this year and will likely cost a lot unless he's a bust. At this point I'm less interested in projecting specific contracts as who the hell knows what these guys will be 3 more seasons from now. Point being that this is the year the cap is projected to jump big time and we're still nowhere near it.

2026-27
Now things get dicey as Palat will certainly not be worth his contract, Holtz may be much, much more expensive, and Nemec and Luke are coming off their ELC. At this point we will probably need to dump Palat and one of Severson or Hamilton to re-sign the younger D. But again, the cap should be much higher by this point and the cost to move one year of a $6 million contract won't be a lot. Or LTIR, or whatever. It's not going to be an issue until his last year and then we can just get rid of it. Hamilton will probably be the more costly contract to move.

Again, this isn't a good contract and we can't go around signing more of them every year, but we can basically re-sign every significant piece in our organization and still carry it for 4 of the 5 years. It doesn't matter if you signed Gaudreau, Palat, or whoever, it was always going to be a breeze up until Luke and Nemec come off their ELCs. That's the point where keeping whoever we actually want to keep gets tricky. Before then, we can still add one or more significant players and still keep the ones that are worth it. We will have a number of expendable prospects to trade for additional depth or future picks to replenish as our roster ages and gets more expensive. this contract is a non issue for 4 of the 5 years it exists, and then the 5th year the cap could be over $90 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad