Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
See Andrew Ladd, Milan lucic, JVR….
You don’t give long term contracts to players like palat. Whatever though, fitz knows what he’s doing
I don’t see how any of those players is “like Palat” other than being a collection of guys doomers can throw together to poopoo a deal they don’t like.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We are still nowhere close to being a playoff contender. Supposedly this draft has an insane amount of young talent. We waited 10 years, what's another going to do?
So tank another year, maybe a couple of the guys in the draft help in three years all the while the people actually on the team and the paying fans get frustrated by continual losing.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Realistic offer for Meier? Anyone care to share?
Can we get him without trading holtz, mercer or Bratt? Or the core 3H

I’d offer ty smith sharangovich 2024 1st and add from there. I don’t know if San Jose can afford his QO. And my offer would not include being able to workout an extension ahead of time similar to the debrincat trade and just hope that we can resign him

• Wow
Reactions: theoptimist

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Nope. Literally not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is you can add leadership/experience and talent without breaking the bank.

You know it is possible to say that, 1. Palat is a good player, and 2. it is a bad contract. Both things can be true.

You'd be surprised how many "trash" forwards are on other teams much better than the Devils then.

And again as I've said repeatedly, I wouldn't even have a problem with the Palat deal if the Devils were already in a competitive position. This is a win-now move.

And god forbid we try to win now! Good grief...

And, by the way, the bank isn't broken. At all. Johnsson and Tatar's expiring contracts free up $7.9M next summer. That alone covers Palat + two of Zetterlund/Holtz/Stillman/Clarke/etc ELCs.

Enough with the sky-is-falling hyperbole. Is it a big contract? Sure. Can we stomach it? Yes... comfortably.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
So tank another year, maybe a couple of the guys in the draft help in three years all the while the people actually on the team and the paying fans get frustrated by continual losing.
Yeah losing isn't fun. Nobody likes it. I just rather try to set up a 10+ year run of playoffs by doing it properly at this point. I was all aboard signing one of the best players in Johnny, I thought he would move the stick a lot for us. Palat helps, but by the time we are ready to contend for playoffs he'll be like 34/35. Just feels like a panic move and doesn't move the needle for us.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
If the Devils acquired Timo (without giving up Bratt or Mercer), this would change things dramatically.
Trade for Meier. Sign neidereiter.
Roll the mighty Swiss army line of Meier Hischier neidereiter. Followed by palat Hughes Bratt.
Followed by Tatar haula holtz...

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah losing isn't fun. Nobody likes it. I just rather try to set up a 10+ year run of playoffs by doing it properly at this point. I was all aboard signing one of the best players in Johnny, I thought he would move the stick a lot for us. Palat helps, but by the time we are ready to contend for playoffs he'll be like 34/35. Just feels like a panic move and doesn't move the needle for us.

I hate the contract but if Palat helps these young guys grow especially Hughes as a linemate even more, I would look back on this deal worth it. That being said, it's gonna be pain when he declines. The problem is pinpointing when that decline comes and is it worth paying that much for intangibles.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Completely arbitrary timeline that you just made up.

And that's the basis for your disappointment.

Yet we're the crazy ones!

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Perhaps updating his resume after a rough couple of days
Nothing rough about the last couple days.

Signed a solid veteran defensmen, overpaid a bit for a quality top 6 winger, brought in a really good assistant coach, traded Zacha for a solid middle 6 forward, signed Nemec to an ELC.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what he’s done. Who knows what else he’s been doing but he’s he’s checked off a lot of the things from the off-season checklist.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'm going to choose to enjoy the hockey-ing of Ondrej Palat going forward, as I have enjoyed watching the first half of his career. He's a Devil now and aside from the contract, I love his game. I do not feel this way about most other players of his ilk or other UFAs at a similar tier.

If he falls off as hard and fast as some expect, alright we did a dumb thing but we'll still be fine.

If he falls off right as the window opens but the team is good, alright we did a good dumb thing but we'll still be fine.

If he's f***ing dope, I expect some goddamn tendies from the aging-curve taskmasters.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Perhaps updating his resume after a rough couple of days
I wonder if he already had done that prior to the draft as a preemptive action....you know....just in case? 🤔

I mean GMs don't have that long of a shelf-life.

Unless the team is winning Cups and/or making regular playoff-appearances, that is.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Nope. Literally not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is you can add leadership/experience and talent without breaking the bank.

You know it is possible to say that, 1. Palat is a good player, and 2. it is a bad contract. Both things can be true.

You'd be surprised how many "trash" forwards are on other teams much better than the Devils then.

And again as I've said repeatedly, I wouldn't even have a problem with the Palat deal if the Devils were already in a competitive position. This is a win-now move.
If we're not going to win now then when are we going to win? It's been the better part of a decade, the fanbase is close to rioting and ownership is uneasy. We finally have our young core in place and everyone in the organization from ownership down to the players have repeatedly talked about taking the next step.

Your original point was that it's optimal to spend some money on cheap veteran depth and some money on good scoring players, and that Palat was a bad contract because you we overpaid to get both things. These are your words:

I'm saying the Devils could have acquired individual players who contribute to each of those pieces and still have more cap flexibility. Guys like Pearson or Helm go in bucket 1. Then you still have space to add in bucket 2.

You're literally saying cheap veteran depth + cheap inexperienced forward > Palat.

So whos this other, better, cheaper forward? Why are they signing in NJ for a cheaper price than Palat did, and how are they going to be better additions than Tatar/Johnsson were?

We added +110 playoff games of experience with just Haula and B. Smith. That's cheap veteran depth, Fitz actually did what you're begging him to. We checked your Box 1, then added a guy that checked both boxes, and we still have the 7th most cap space in the league.

What do you mean more cap flexibility? We have FIVE players under contract next season! 45M in cap space! wtf is Palat going to stop us from doing, signing Lamar Jackson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad