NFL GDT: Week 11

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If Burfict gets a year for a hit at game speed, this should get at least 2.
Burfict got a year because it was his fourth suspension. Repeat offenders always get different treatment.

Speaking of, Garrett was fined after the Titans game for an open hand palm strike to the face of a Titan. Can’t remember how much the fine was. It was also him losing his cool in retaliation.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I thought Suh's groin stomp and Haynesworth stepping on a guy's head was pretty bad...but this is next level ****

I'd forgotten Alzado. @EpochLink was right about that one.

But, that was 27 years ago. Before social media. It wasn't a world where you'd see replays everywhere.

I mean, you're a league with concussion issues, and a player rips off another player's helmet and then hits him in the head with it.

I don't see how the league doesn't drop the hammer. This is Ray Rice level stuff (not the same thing, obviously, but there's video, and the only way the league mitigates the PR nightmare is to drop the hammer).

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You're the only one in this thread defending Garrett..... maybe that should tell you something. They were't attacking Garrett, they were yelling and pushing. Garrett literally "attacked" the Steelers QB with a helmet lmao.
I’m not defending him. I’m saying he deserves a long suspension.

What I’m not doing is excusing the Steelers for their part in all of it.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I’m not defending him. I’m saying he deserves a long suspension.

What I’m not doing is excusing the Steelers for their part in all of it.
There's a lot of blame to go around. Garrett just escalated it to a level the players know they can't go. He doesn't swing that helmet and this is merely a talking point with sports casters tomorrow afternoon where they laugh at scrums. The helmet swing makes it something the league has to get involved with, especially on national television.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The more I think about it, the rest of the season is not enough. I think the 10-16 game range, which would be 4-10 games of next season, would be more fitting.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
1. That’s not true
2. That doesn’t excuse the absolutely horrifying decision to slam a helmet into another person’s head

Yeah this whole blame Rudolph for getting hit in the head is like the rationalizations of how Steve Moore somehow deserved getting attacked by Bertuzzi because he was 'dirty'. One wrong doesn't justify or excuse a far bigger wrong.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
What's surprising is that Cleveland fans didn't manage to chuck beer bottles onto the field again.

That could have ended very...VERY badly for Garrett. I'm saying a suspension for the rest of the season for his actions alone.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
What's surprising is that Cleveland fans didn't manage to chuck beer bottles onto the field again.

That could have ended very...VERY badly for Garrett. I'm saying a suspension for the rest of the season for his actions alone.

I think the NFL banned beer bottles from being sold at games, correct me if I'm wrong?

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah this whole blame Rudolph for getting hit in the head is like the rationalizations of how Steve Moore somehow deserved getting attacked by Bertuzzi because he was 'dirty'. One wrong doesn't justify or excuse a far bigger wrong.
Whatever. I’ve never said anything of the sort.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This thing has gone beyond sports. Search GARRETT on twitter. Look at blue check marks from outside the sports world talking about this. Using words like ASSAULT. He's done. Only question is for how long. I think it's the rest of the year now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kingsholygrail

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Whatever. I’ve never said anything of the sort.

You said that Rudolph started it, which is blatantly false.

The It here is assault with a helmet. Not run-of-the-mill pushing.

Not to mention, Garrett started the entire thing with a pointlessly violent hit in the dying seconds of a lopsided victory.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Was it a Bengals/Browns game that they threw all those bottles on the field?

No it was between Jacksonville/Cleveland in 2001.
Browns got screwed from a fourth down play which should've been a first down.
Refs said the received did not have total control and turned it over.

Fans rioted in the stands and threw beer bottles on the field.
Hence, "Bottlegate" was born.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Had 2 wr's knocked out on helmet hits, and one of those plays had 3 helmet hits on the same play (Rudolph was hit on the play). Garrett then decides to try and slam Rudolph after he's already dumped it off when the game is basically over. Of course Rudolph is going to push back, and of course his lineman aren't going to just stand there and let it happen.

Kitchens can say whatever he wants, but it's clear there was something in his gameplan about hitting them high.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You said that Rudolph started it, which is blatantly false.

The It here is assault with a helmet. Not run-of-the-mill pushing.

Not to mention, Garrett started the entire thing with a pointlessly violent hit in the dying seconds of a lopsided victory.
When the play ended, Rudolph tried to rip Garrett’s helmet off. That’s what started it.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
No it was between Jacksonville/Cleveland in 2001.
Browns got screwed from a fourth down play which should've been a first down.
Refs said the received did not have total control and turned it over.

Fans rioted in the stands and threw beer bottles on the field.
Hence, "Bottlegate" was born.
I think it was because the Browns had already run a play after and the refs overturned two plays ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00