Proposal: Weegar for Lekkerimaki

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bond

May 10, 2012
Lekker is the most overrated prospect in the game right now. There I said it....
That’s what happens when a team gets thin on them. Just like Podkolzin being super valuable. Every fanbase has been there lol

Reactions: Coffees

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
That’s what happens when a team gets thin on them. Just like Podkolzin being super valuable. Every fanbase has been there lol
Bond just add some picks and let’s make the trade happen

Lekkerimaki can already wire it harder than Coleman

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
@Johnsie19 @LemonSauceD can we trade for Andersson instead ? We can make a deal happen right now
Potentially yes. The main thing i am looking at is that we need a long term fit if we are going to trade Lekkerimaki. Couple that with Willander being our top prospect and Myers, Hronek signed long term, really we need a LD. And a strong defender would be ideal.

For the right price though ya Andersson would be of interest.

Feel like he'd be just as expensive though given he's younger and not attached for so long.

Reactions: Coffees

Ledge And Dairy

If that's all it is I wouldn't bet on your analysis. There were I think 7 or 8 dmen in the league over 34 yrs old last yr to give you an idea.
Generally when determining a players longevity you start by seeing how much they rely on foot speed. Weegar has never been a fast skater and most of his success comes from his hockey sense. So I would say he has a pretty good chance of lasting a while. Of course injuries can change that but knock on wood

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If that's all it is I wouldn't bet on your analysis. There were I think 7 or 8 dmen in the league over 34 yrs old last yr to give you an idea.
Sounds like you think Weegar is older than he is.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Sounds like you think Weegar is older than he is.
31 this yr with 7 yrs left

Generally when determining a players longevity you start by seeing how much they rely on foot speed. Weegar has never been a fast skater and most of his success comes from his hockey sense. So I would say he has a pretty good chance of lasting a while. Of course injuries can change that but knock on wood
I'd agree on the foot speed analysis. Working against him would be all those hits and blocks though.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I do like Lekkerimaki. I think he has some 2 way game which is what I like to see in wing prospects. I just don't know that I want to move Weegar at all honestly. We need someone who is an actual good NHLer and wants to be here on the back end. I don't want to go full San Jose. We're about 4 deletions on the roster from basically that.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
I do like Lekkerimaki. I think he has some 2 way game which is what I like to see in wing prospects. I just don't know that I want to move Weegar at all honestly. We need someone who is an actual good NHLer and wants to be here on the back end. I don't want to go full San Jose. We're about 4 deletions on the roster from basically that.
That’s honestly smart , makes sense

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd prefer to take a risk on the skinny Swede with an elite shot and low cap hit. No need to trade for highly paid, over the hill dmen with Willander and EP2 on the way.
Oof. This is quite the post. I suppose there is a slight chance that Willander becomes a top pairing guy, although I think he'll be a middle pairing guy. There's zero chance EP2 becomes a top pairing guy, not even a middle pairing guys.

I'm also wondering how you figure 4.5M and 27 is highly paid and over the hill.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oof. This is quite the post. I suppose there is a slight chance that Willander becomes a top pairing guy, although I think he'll be a middle pairing guy. There's zero chance EP2 becomes a top pairing guy, not even a middle pairing guys.

I'm also wondering how you figure 4.5M and 27 is highly paid and over the hill.
I think he's talking about Weegar. He's also exaggerating in-order to make his argument sound better. We all know that 30 isn't over the hill, especially for a top pairing dman who relies on his hockey IQ rather than speed, and a $6.25m salary is extremely reasonable for the same and that $6.25m is going to look more attractive each year as the cap goes up significantly, as predicted.

He also neglects to add that Weegar would make an immediate impact on team defense whereas Willander and EP2 will have no immediate impact and may never have the same impact as Weegar years down the road.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I think he's talking about Weegar. He's also exaggerating in-order to make his argument sound better. We all know that 30 isn't over the hill, especially for a top pairing dman who relies on his hockey IQ rather than speed, and a $6.25m salary is extremely reasonable for the same and that $6.25m is going to look more attractive each year as the cap goes up significantly, as predicted.

He also neglects to add that Weegar would make an immediate impact on team defense whereas Willander and EP2 will have no immediate impact and may never have the same impact as Weegar years down the road.
To be fair the hill is 30 as a hockey player. It's all downhill from there. I don't expect a major drop off for a few yrs but definitely the final 3 yrs are a decent risk. The irony is that's about the time Calgary might have their rebuild starting to fruit.

But ya Willander and DPetey aren't top pairing calibre. Weegar would be ideal for Vancouver's window.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd prefer to take a risk on the skinny Swede with an elite shot and low cap hit. No need to trade for highly paid, over the hill dmen with Willander and EP2 on the way.
I mean, I don't know if you really have time to wait for them if you're trying to win a Cup. Doesn't your window basically end when JT Miller is no longer a great first line player? I'd put money on that happening before Willander or Petterson are top-4 D...

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I mean, I don't know if you really have time to wait for them if you're trying to win a Cup. Doesn't your window basically end when JT Miller is no longer a great first line player? I'd put money on that happening before Willander or Petterson are top-4 D...
I think he could be a great second line center too. Petey would be the 1st line center. Willander will be on the team before that happens but realistically we need some help on the back end now too. We'll see what happens but I'd be willing to move Lekerimaki for a long term solution to that problem.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think he could be a great second line center too. Petey would be the 1st line center. Willander will be on the team before that happens but realistically we need some help on the back end now too. We'll see what happens but I'd be willing to move Lekerimaki for a long term solution to that problem.
Let me be more clear: if Miller isn't a 90 point player, the Canucks aren't a contender, because beyond Pettersson your forward core would be extremely mediocre and not good enough for a contender. Willander may be on the team before Miller totally declines but I doubt he's an impact top-4 D before then.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Let me be more clear: if Miller isn't a 90 point player, the Canucks aren't a contender, because beyond Pettersson your forward core would be extremely mediocre and not good enough for a contender. Willander may be on the team before Miller totally declines but I doubt he's an impact top-4 D before then.
I'm not sure it's that cut and dry. For one Pettersson has 100 point upside. If he does that he's dragging someone with him (DeBrusk most likely). And then what do you want from a 2nd line center making 8 mil? 70-80 points is still good. If you have two efficient top 2 centers then you can always add around that in free agency if you need more scoring.

The strength of the Canucks fwds are in the depth. We had one of the best 3 and 4 lines in hockey last season and they contributed a lot to the team's success.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm not sure it's that cut and dry. For one Pettersson has 100 point upside. If he does that he's dragging someone with him (DeBrusk most likely). And then what do you want from a 2nd line center making 8 mil? 70-80 points is still good. If you have two efficient top 2 centers then you can always add around that in free agency if you need more scoring.

The strength of the Canucks fwds are in the depth. We had one of the best 3 and 4 lines in hockey last season and they contributed a lot to the team's success.
The blueprint for Cup winners right now is two elite forwards. Barkov and Tkachuk, Mackinnon and Rantanen, Kucherov and Point. With Pettersson and current Miller, the Canucks do have the two elite forwards necessary for true Cup contention. Once Miller declines to "just a 65-70 point player", they won't. So that's kind of a soft window that I think Canucks management would be wise to keep in the back of their mind when constructing their team over the next few years.

Having depth is great, but almost invariably superstars win Cups.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Trade would have to be done half way through the season after the canucks accrue some daily cap space.

I think Weegar would be the perfect 3rd dman for the Canucks to make a few playoff pushes.

It's a lot to give up considering Lekkerimaki is our top prospect and fresh of WJC top player award.

It's a big swing. I don't know if it's smart or not but it would give the Canucks a better chance to win for the next 2/3 yrs.
Think other managers are going to wanna see more of Lekkerimaki playing in NA before they’d put this much value on him. He had a few good shifts in his handful of AHL games but got pushed around quite a bit too. Which isn’t out of the norm for many Swede forwards coming over.

It was a big summer for him, and it’ll be a big camp for him too. It’s probably in their best interest to send him down though. Even if he plays well.. Let him gain confidence in the AHL if he can, and then around Xmas time, revisit if he’s getting ready, or needs the entire season in Abbotsford.

If he shows really well against NHL players in the pre-season, and gets off to a good start in the AHL, then maybe a team would take him in a straight up deal like this.

As for Weegar in Vancouver? I’m not so sure he’s the Dman they’re looking for. They’re already paying big money to Hronek, who can’t carry that 2nd pairing, and Weegar is at his best when someone’s protecting him. So they’re taking a big chance, ending up stuck, with two dman (they’re paying big money to) they can’t trust with 20+ minutes every night, in a 7 game series.

I’d think Andersson would be much more their need, than Weegar, but who knows.

Much rather they target Shea Theodore. That’s a great fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad