We need to talk about Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Does it? It's a big win but they need a run and they have yet to do that.

Yes. They just smoked one of their main competitors for a division spot. Their competition isn't that stiff. Tonight showed they can be dominant when they want to. Granted, the Panthers' effort tonight was poor, but still. The Lightning can and most likely will make a run. You can call them lazy, but it doesn't matter. It doesn't negate the fact that they have superb talent.

Reactions: Hint1k

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes. They just smoked one of their main competitors for a division spot. Their competition isn't that stiff. Tonight showed they can be dominant when they want to. Granted, the Panthers' effort tonight was poor, but still. The Lightning can and most likely will make a run. You can call them lazy, but it doesn't matter. It doesn't negate the fact that they have superb talent.

I have never said they didn't have superb I just need to see. Them put together, they took step 1 but they have taken step 1 before.

They got a pretty good Montreal team next.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I have never said they didn't have superb I just need to see. Them put together, they took step 1 but they have taken step 1 before.

They got a pretty good Montreal team next.
Montreal is very mediocre. To call them "pretty good" is very generous. They have a losong record.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
We NEED to talk about them?
The team is a little different than last years. Were you expecting around another 60+ wins again? I know I wasnt.

They'll get it together soon.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think there is and I think this is it especially if Toronto wins because if that happens that means Tampa would be 6 back of Toronto and 5 back of Florida.

That is quite the hole and I know the blues did it but the first signs of life happened in December.

Tampa has shown NO signs of life.

no signs of life? What are you watching. The Bolts absolutely mauled Dallas the other night.

Oh wait. You aren’t watching

Reactions: MC2D and Slyfox

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Another thing to note is based off the way their schedule has been set up, they’ve consistently had about 3 games in hand on every team ahead of them in the standings the entire season. They and the Islanders always have less games played every time I look at the standings.

Overall, it seems pretty clear that they were always going to come back to Earth after suffering that embarrassment last season. Whether it’s psychological or purposeful from not bothering to be world beaters in the regular season is debatable, but they were destined to regress in the standings.

I still don’t see a Cup in the cards, but this is easily a playoff team when it comes down to it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Because this is wild to me, this team went from winning 62 games to being 3 points out of 3rd in the Atlantic 7 back of the wildcard and now face what is basically a MUST win on Monday against Florida.

What's wrong with Tampa?

Leafs are going to miss Boston in the first round this year only to open the playoffs in Tampa.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They are currently pacing to be the 3rd best team in the Atlantic.

Boston, Toronto, and Tampa are in fact the 3 current playoff teams from the Atlantic.

No the 3 current playoff teams from the Atlantic as of Today

Are, Boston, Toronto Montreal and what a series THAT would be between Toronto and Montreal

Reactions: Chompchompr

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The league does not start the playoffs with an uneven number of games played. Not sure why you're choosing to count their standings that way.

this whole thread has been obvious why he/she is counting the standings that way.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The league does not start the playoffs with an uneven number of games played. Not sure why you're choosing to count their standings that way.

I go by what the standings say, I don't just assume teams are going to win their games in hand likee you are doing, those games need to be played, Tampa could win them but just assuming they will is ridiculous especially when you haven't looked up who those games in hand are against.

I don't know who they are against so I'm not going to automatically grant Tampa wins like you, and others do.

I'm going to wait see how it plays out.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I go by what the standings say
The standings say Tampa is 3rd. I guess you're choosing to look at less accurate standings.

I don't just assume teams are going to win their games in hand likee you are doing
See, here's the awkward part. I'm not assuming they will win. I'm just going strictly by what they have done, which is get the 3rd most points out of every game they play, of teams in the Atlantic.

In your attempt to avoid giving them "wins", which nobody is doing, you have arbitrarily assigned them losses for those unplayed games.

jibbz

Mar 9, 2019
I think there is and I think this is it especially if Toronto wins because if that happens that means Tampa would be 6 back of Toronto and 5 back of Florida.

That is quite the hole and I know the blues did it but the first signs of life happened in December.

Tampa has shown NO signs of life.

Damn I was about write a long-ass comment correcting your bullshit, but then I read your name and was like nvm, it's pointless anyway

Reactions: Goal Caufield

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The standings say Tampa is 3rd. I guess you're choosing to look at less accurate standings.

See, here's the awkward part. I'm not assuming they will win. I'm just going strictly by what they have done, which is get the 3rd most points out of every game they play, of teams in the Atlantic.

In your attempt to avoid giving them "wins", which nobody is doing, you have arbitrarily assigned them losses for those unplayed games.

They are currently 6th in the Atlantic that is what the standings say, they can get to 3rd in the Atlantic, on Saturday if they beat Montreal, Buffalo loses to Boston on Friday and Detroit somehow beats Florida on Saturday, but as of today they are 6th.

I think they will be 4th after the weekend.

I think Boston Eichel

I think Tampa probably beats Montreal

But I think Florida handles Detroit

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They are currently 6th in the Atlantic that is what the standings say
That is what the standings that you are choosing to look at say, despite you being made aware of the issues with that. Standings that assign losses for unplayed games say they are 6th. Standings that assess how they have played to date say 3rd.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Who cares where they are now? I remember the Atlantic being fairly close at this point last year and then Tampa ran away with it in the second half. Same thing could happen again with a roster that really isnt that different and is really starting to catch stride.They probably dont catch Boston though. Their biggest worry right now is their goaltender who won the Vezina last year. If I had to bet, he will be the least of our problems going forward. Typically has been one of our best players that we depend on.

I dont know if its our year. The way we have played against heavy teams with skill, I would say its not but its still early. Still a bunch of games to play and there is a trade deadline Im sure we will use as our time is wearing thin. Need to make big moves to get over the hump and I think we see that with them. Lets see what happens into late February/March before we place people in the standings.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
While I tend to agree that it's a surprise to see them outside the playoff picture at any point, they have some games in hand and it was never my expectation that they'd be anywhere close to as dominant as last season anyway. Besides, after getting swept out of the first round to cap a record-tying season, there's going to be some palpable difference with respect to how the players and coaches engage on the regular season, on some level or another. I fully expect them to punch a ticket into the postseason because there's too much talent in Tampa Bay for them not to make it but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: LordZapp

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I go by what the standings say, I don't just assume teams are going to win their games in hand likee you are doing, those games need to be played, Tampa could win them but just assuming they will is ridiculous especially when you haven't looked up who those games in hand are against.

I don't know who they are against so I'm not going to automatically grant Tampa wins like you, and others do.

I'm going to wait see how it plays out.
But by going as the standings are you’re assuming they lose all the games in hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad