Salary Cap: We are looking for nuclear Kessels. And whales. Beam me up, Scotty Bowman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Ok IC, you have me 102% convinced on Kessel. So where do they turn after; Sutter + to St. Louis for Oshie & Berglund/Rattie?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Phil's physical self are probably more to do with the rumors that he just isn't in to keeping himself physically fit to level of a pro athlete.

And yet he was still one of the fittest players in the Leaf camp last summer.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Do people that survive testicular cancer have hormonal issues? Could that be part of the cause of his chubbiness? Also, if someone has a testicle removed would they be required to inject testosterone? And would a professional athlete be allowed to do so based on a doctor's prescription?

Excellent Question. I would believe it would.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772865

They terminated his contract? They can do that? Why can't we terminate Scuderi's?

The Los Angeles Kings today have exercised the team's right to terminate the contract of Mike Richards for a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract

That's why. As much as Scuderi is done as a hockey player, he seems to be a pretty good guy. Can't see him breaching the Code of Conduct or whatever. Even then, why drag the dude's name through the mud. Richards has already drug his name through enough mud and LA stands to benefit a lot more getting Richards off the books.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I'm including any of Maatta, DP, or Kapanen in a trade for Kessel, but no more than one of them.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Eh, not when we can let someone like Wilson play. If we really need an agitator, get Farnham in there :laugh:

Teams can withstand some vets. I understand wanting youth but this place has taken it to an unhealthy level.

The Hawks had 8/10 guys over 30, and some well over 30.

You can have both.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

They terminated his contract? They can do that? Why can't we terminate Scuderi's?

Could be interesting. I'm going to guess that they're going to allege that he wasn't/didn't put in the offseason training required and that he came in out of shape. Not sure they'll get away with that. [Edit - or that he injured himself in the offseason doing something that will prevent him from every fully recovering]

They can't do this over a substance issue (not saying there is one, just talking about different scenarios). They'd have to put him on LTIR or whatever while he seeked help (if that was the issue). And as for his fitness levels (or lack there of), all he'd have to do is point out what his camp fitness report said from Sept 2014, and how he has 3 months to get back into shape for the 15/16 season.

Honestly... unless he's done something completely and utterly stupid, and potentially illegal (and I'm not suggesting he has) I don't see this flying. But who knows... will have to wait as more details leak on this.

As for why we couldn't do this with Scuderi... would really depend on what LA is saying Richards did.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Penguins need to be healthy. Since 2009, they've lost more man hours to injury than any other team except CBJ I think. No need for more expense and long term deals, especially for the likes of Kessel. Too many prima donnas here already. Plenty of cheaper wingers available sign or develop. You can find the list, they are named all over this thread and in the ranks of the system. Anyone but Kessel. Pens don't need him.

Show your work MrWilson.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

I googled 'material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract' and got this:
Paragraph 14

A Club may also terminate a contract without a buyout if the player commits a material breach of his SPC (fail, refuse or neglect to render his services or to obey Club rules regarding training and conduct of players or in any other manner materially breach this SPC). A club still has to get waivers from all other clubs to do this, but only owes the player any money he earned before he became such an untenable jerk as to create a need to invoke this clause.

As a note on procedure and where this fits in regards to rules: this doesn't mean a player can pout his way off a team he doesn't like and into the ability to sign in a different city as a UFA. Any player who has his contract ended pursuant to this paragraph is essentially done playing in the NHL, at least for a time.
source

::EDIT:: Guessing this would be the route to go with Voynov, too.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
funny how he didn't become a material breach of contract until they realized they couldn't re-sign Sekera or Williams

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Could be interesting. I'm going to guess that they're going to allege that he wasn't/didn't put in the offseason training required and that he came in out of shape. Not sure they'll get away with that.

They can't do this over a substance issue (not saying there is one, just talking about different scenarios). They'd have to put him on LTIR or whatever while he seeked help (if that was the issue). And as for his fitness levels (or lack there of), all he'd have to do is point out what his camp fitness report said from Sept 2014, and how he has 3 months to get back into shape for the 15/16 season.

Honestly... unless he's done something completely and utterly stupid, and potentially illegal (and I'm not suggesting he has) I don't see this flying. But who knows... will have to wait as more details leak on this.

As for why we couldn't do this with Scuderi... would really depend on what LA is saying Richards did.

You would think if there was a player to use that method on it was Voynov.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
if other teams have to sign a waiver to allow this (which sounds completely bizarre) why on earth would a rival team sign off in this instance?

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
There's so much wrong with what you're saying.

The cheaper and younger wings that are available aren't going to help the Pens. If you have the choice between signing three Comeau/Downie type or trading for a Phil Kessel, you're telling me you're going to buy the three lottery scratch offs and hope to get 1/2 of Kessel over the guaranteed "$10,000 a Week for Life" winner?

It seems pretty clear at this point that he's trolling us ...

Sideline

May 23, 2004
funny how he didn't become a material breach of contract until they realized they couldn't re-sign Sekera or Williams

I'd be reeeeeeeally curious to see what LA is claiming for breach. The lawyers might have a go at grieving this if the Kings knew about the alleged breach and didn't act immediately.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Because Scuderi didn't have a "material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract" as far as I know. I think the Kings will have to release what he did, because it seems pretty sketchy right now.

It will absolutely come out over the next few weeks... there's just going to be too many lawyers and people involved (NHL, NHLPA, etc) for something not to get leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad