Salary Cap: We are looking for nuclear Kessels. And whales. Beam me up, Scotty Bowman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Just to get things strait, is Kessel owed money by the Leafs on his contract July 1st? If yes, then I don't think we see a trade today.

Or perhaps Toronto wants less assets to get rid of that $4 million bonus. It's really hard to say. $4 million doesn't mean much to either of these teams. Two of the richest in the league.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
On the flip side, the Pens can say "we'll pay that 4M if you play ball with us/be a bit more reasonable with your asks".

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Pens can build a really powerful deck with Kessel...

BUf0Wg5k9Slk.jpg

penguins2946*

Post from the main board:

The guys on Toronto sports radio were talking about it this morning. And they made great points - the fact that Shananhan has publicly stated he's looking to trade Kessel, means he's made up his mind. The only thing he needs to decide is when will he will get the best return for him - now or at the deadline? The consensus was NOW is the perfect time to trade him for two main reasons:

1. The UFA crop is terrible. The best available forwards are Ribeiro and Beleksey. If a team is looking to add an impact player before the season, Kessel is clearly the best player "available" and it's not even close.

2. Financially, teams are most flexible now. They can still move out money, buy players out, make trades a little easier and work Kessel into their long-term financial plans. At the deadline (even though most of Kessel's contract will be paid for the current year), teams need to figure out how they can work 8 mil into their cap for multiple years. There's not as much flexibility. It's easier for teams to take on Kessel now than AFTER they try to fill holes elsewhere...

... They used Pittsburgh as an example:

Once an interested party like the Pens sign a couple players, let's say Frolik and someone else to contracts, they are financially prohibited from acquiring Kessel.

If the Leafs pull Kessel "off the market" and teams make other moves, the Leafs are decreasing their own trade market for him.

NOW is the time to take advantage of a horrible free agent market.

The guys were bang on.

If Kessel doesn't happen today, he doesn't happen. That's what I'm thinking the situation is. If he doesn't happen today, I bet the Pens would go after Oshie and try to sign Tihkonov and Frolik.

Fantastic points as well.

penguins2946*

Lots of chatter on Twitter about Kessel going to Philly

From where? Kessel literally makes no sense for the Flyers. They have Simmonds and Voracek as RWers and they need to re-sign Voracek to a huge raise after this coming season, why would they move for Kessel?

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Yeah I'm not really seeing the logic in Toronto waiting a few days into free agency before making a deal. If they wait and let teams fill up on contracts the already limited number of potential trading partners goes down and the offers likely get worse. I think the best deal they're likely to see will be some time this evening.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
No one that I know of being reputable, just seems to be the focus of Kessel and Twitter discussions right now.

Cool. I was just wondering if it was someone worth noting or if it was the usual sub-trade board babble that Twitter loves.

On a related note, twitter is a horrible medium and we will be deservedly mocked by later generations for ever thinking it could be anything but stupid.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
From where? Kessel literally makes no sense for the Flyers. They have Simmonds and Voracek as RWers and they need to re-sign Voracek to a huge raise after this coming season, why would they move for Kessel?

That's what I see too. Philly doesn't really work as a trade partner, unless they're planning some other major moves.

penguins2946*

I haven't seen anything about Kessel and Philly, but then again I'm not on twitter.

I looked up "Kessel Flyers" in the search and saw nothing of note other than a speculation of what it would cost. I see 1 account with 7000 followers tweeting about it, that's it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
To be honest, i'd rather spend 4.5-5 or so on Franson, who is 27, 6'5", and shoots the puck 10x harder, then spending it on Martin.

The term is the issue. If Martin will miraculously sign a 3 year 4.5MM deal, I'd take that over Franson's 4.5 over 6 year deal. The dude is going to get term and he's not that good.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
It would be like the Flyers to go after Kessel in spite of hurting themselves, but I don't think Hextall is as dumb as Holmgren, sadly.

I wonder if at this point the talks have soured and the Leafs would take a lesser return just to burn the Pens a bit. I have no idea, but it could happen if the talks go badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad