Post-Game Talk: WCSF GAME #2: Canucks 5, Knights 2 (Series tied 1 - 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
You know...we aren't too bad at this whole hockey thing.

AggravatingFrenchFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
...and Petey...
Just good to be a Nucks fan.

He is a superstar now...and happy to watch him hit higher..

We also have to bow down to Tofu. His energy, always happy, must me good for this group. Plus, he freakin' loves fifth gear. They must love him in the room.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
This is effectively our third round. 16 games played.
This is doing SO MUCH for our young guys in terms of development. The fact we beat a stingy wild team. First playoff taste...then beat the champs..... now we took a game against the best in the west...
I have a feeling that Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes...these guys are going to be so much better having gone through this.... next season we're going to see huge point jumps.
Pettersson, i could see getting 90 points. Horvat 70+
Miller 80. Boeser 70. Hughes 70 maybe..

I think you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself :) That being said, one of the hardest things to do is to go from basement dweller to a consistent playoff team. And it's equally challenging to go from a consistent playoff team to a contender. I hope that this run helps the team take the next step forward, and I believe it will but it will take a lot of hard work from within the organization.

A cautionary tale would be the 16/17 Oilers who made it to the 2nd round when McDavid and Draisaitl were the same age Petterson and Hughes are now.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Markstrom, Pettersson and Horvat just killing it. Markstrom is by far the saves leader in the playoffs so far. Almost 100 more saves than number 2. If we make the finals he’s getting the Vezina.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I only caught the start and the end of the game, but one thing that feels strange these playoffs is how we seem to be getting the bounces now. During the WCE and Sedin era's we tended to be the more skilled team that peppered the other goalie with shots and couldn't buy a break then some 4th line scrub takes it the other way and rips a slapshot home. I laughed at our first goal tonight because you could tell Toffoli hesitated a moment in surprise at getting such a big gift just a few seconds into his shift.

Also anyone else know how that was totally Sutter's fault on the late PP goal? With the Vegas net empty plus the Canucks on the PK and able to ice it he had a chance from our zone for the simple clear up the board but instead took a shot for an empty net goal... right into a Vegas player who was thinking the same thing and was blocking the lane to the net. Wouldn't matter in the end but the Vegas player takes the easy intercept and 10 second later it's 4-2.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Canucks fans are savage on social media. Didn’t Mike Matheson get death threats? In this case though it’s playoff hockey chirping, if those comments get you rattled then that’s pretty embarrassing.

Reactions: mriswith

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Is that good or bad? Sounds bad, but your exclamation mark kind of makes it appear good.

It’s bad. Very bad. The easy way to look at it is that 40 shots made it on net (saves), with 37 blocks, and 16 shots going wide.

Vegas peppered the Canucks.

Reactions: Indiana

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm not sure what is better:

1) Marchessault sitting in his hotel room right now, blocking hundreds of Canucks fans manually
2) Marchessault not being able to fall asleep until late, late tonight because he's so heated from instagram comments

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Green, and his coaching staff, continues to surprise.

They adjust, and continue to excel.
'nuff said. ;)

Still think Green shoulda called timeout in 2nd after they killed the bs penalty call and were panicking.

But yeah, kudos for TT in for LE, lines and deployment.

Reactions: Ozone

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Still think Green shoulda called timeout in 2nd after they killed the bs penalty call and were panicking.

But yeah, kudos for TT in for LE, lines and deployment.
I'm with ya.
Some might question his in game adjustments (me)..but dayum, does he think overnight!

Edit: I just hope he doesn't have 'clown nightmares' overnight, like me. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
that delay of game penalty was clearly bullshit. hope greener/benning go to the league about kelly sutherland's calls...

We just can’t seem to shake this fool Sutherland. Always seems to be screwing the Canucks over. Whenever there’s a controversial call he just somehow seems to be reffing that particular game. I hope to god this guy doesn’t call something that will cost us a series. I still remember this wonderful Sutherland call (below). Also D. Sedin getting a penalty when Marchand was punching him in the face was him as well. Another incident involving D. Sedin was the Kadri hit, Sutherland was officiating that game too he could have called it a penalty (which very clearly it was) but didn’t do shit. I don’t want this guy reffing anymore of our games there’s just too many incidents between him and this team it’s ridiculous.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
great bounce back statement game....i'll explain

Petey and Horvat have gone again to another level and give us a big edge down the middle. As does Marky. Those are pretty important positions

Toffoli makes us that much more dangerous and i loved that no one seemed as happy for Toffoli as Boeser. This is a special group that genuinely like each other and have high character. That has value and were watching it.

Physically....Edler was a beast this game. Beauty pass to Petey on his goal and i loved the cross check on Smith as that clowns run at Petey and his pitchfork on Edler had him seeing red. I hope he gets what he deserves. Some nice truckulance as well in this one from Miller Beagle Fanta and Virtanen that rocked a few bodies and served notice. Roussel has been annoying but hasn't gotten under their skin enough to take penalties and the refs are having none of it....It's really a non issue as Reaves sat on the bench and seems to be smart enough to not take the bait.Especially loved Virtanen smacking Tuch. they needed to rattle that guy as he's been flying around being disruptive without much push back.

Have to give Green kudos once again for his adjustments and nice to see that our counterattacking skills can counter their relentless fore check and has to have them a bit concerned. Need to work on the flip pass like Vegas is using as i dont think their D is that good once we can get them turning outside of Theodore Martinez and Schmidt.Have to be able to keep from getting squeezed down low which is their bread and butter

This is a really fun ride and this team oozes character right now. With Marky being a wall and Petey asserting himself at another level you never know what could become of this. Can't wait to find out

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Didn't Aaron Rome get bludgeoned with a 4 game suspension for a hit that late in 2011?
There's the NHL rulebook.

Then there's the NHL's Canucks rulebook (Canucks are fair game)

And finally there's the NHL's Boston rulebook and officials.

Rome was a victim of the latter two.

Hoping we will face the same adversity a couple of series from now . . .

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Just ask the Bolts..

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

I like the way you think Hombre

Reactions: Indiana and Ozone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: