WCQF: Wild vs. Stars Series Discussion

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Great effort tonight. Crowd really got into it in the third, and I think the players fed off that energy. The roof would have come off if we would have scored during that great sequence in the middle of the third.

One at a time I guess. Let's get the next one.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
Wanted to leave after Sharp scored 2 quickies. Found myself lurking hfboards while the game was going on, that's how disinterested I was. Glad to get 1 W. Now excited to go on 4/20

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know how much was inspired play by the Wild, and how much uninspired play by the Stars. Little of both, probably. This was the first game that the Wild were beating the Stars to pucks and winning physical battles on a regular basis.

still need Coyle and Scandella to show up. I thought Suter was steady, Brodin was good, and Spurgeon was really good. Haula and Granlund were great.

Porter was really good. His speed is great out there, and he's smart.

Zucker seemed to be a bit better.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Did NOT expect that game to play out as it did, especially after those two quick Dallas goals! It would be great if they could ride on the emotional high from this game and keep up the intensity. We'll see :D

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
that was a heroic comeback effort last night. we played fast , won alot of puck battles, never gave up. sure hope we see that again weds. it looked like everyone was driving to the net. cheers!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
After coming back from a 2-0 deficit 5 minutes into the game...

that_was_awesome_tommy_boy.gif

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
If only Granlund had a better shot... he's been an absolute beast and our best player. Even with his not so great shot, he seems much more willing to use it from the wing.

He actually took the puck aggressively to the slot.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Strange game facts department;

Prosser had almost twice as much TOI as Dumba

Pominville had a roughing call against Roussel

Brodin got a point

Nino played less than Jones

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN

Brodin got a point

Fittingly enough, it was with Suter on the ice as his D-partner.... I still don't understand why those two aren't back together full time as they play well together and Brodin seems to contribute to the offense (one time goal near the end of the season and the assist last night) when they are paired. Torch got in the faces of Suter and Koivu yesterday and the morning skate, and now it's time to stop acquiescing to Suter and put him back with Brodin.

Could just be because I want to see Spurgeon and Scandella back together.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund has been playing well, but if I had to choose between him and Haula for the next game, it sure wouldn't be Bruce. At the end of the day, you gotta produce.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fittingly enough, it was with Suter on the ice as his D-partner.... I still don't understand why those two aren't back together full time as they play well together and Brodin seems to contribute to the offense (one time goal near the end of the season and the assist last night) when they are paired. Torch got in the faces of Suter and Koivu yesterday and the morning skate, and now it's time to stop acquiescing to Suter and put him back with Brodin.

Could just be because I want to see Spurgeon and Scandella back together.

Agreed. I like that Torch is making EVERYONE accountable. After all, what does he have to lose?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Was last nights game proof that Granlund is better on the wing? Or did he switch to center for some of the game? TBH I watched it and didn't pay much attention to that, but noticed he was much more battle ready.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Probably one of the best games I've been to in recent memory. Easily the best game this season. They played with so much fire.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
I would say the Wild Blackhawks stadium series game was the best of the season but okay. This is the formula though. Fight fight fight

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Brodin got a point

I don't think this was strange at all. Dumba has serious problems in the playoffs. For every scoring chance he creates for the Wild, he creates 3 for the opponent.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I don't think this was strange at all. Dumba has serious problems in the playoffs. For every scoring chance he creates for the Wild, he creates 3 for the opponent.

I can't believe how stupid that penalty was early on. It was extremely obvious watching live and he wasn't even close to getting away with it. He deserved the low ice time after that.

And yes, Granlund is just a playoff warrior. The guy certainly steps up in a big way in ways we can only dream of seeing in the regular season. Hard to know what to do with the guy going forward.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Happy to see us playing with fire and energy, win it tomorrow and we are back to square 1 in the playoffs. Did it against Colorado, why not do it here too?

Gotta be able to keep this up though for the remaining games, can't go back into slouch mode or play scared mode. Dallas is relentless and I envy the heck out of their game. I noticed Dallas didn't seem to be playing aggressive smothering style at the neutral zone like they had in their home games, wonder why they changed.

Zucker should be due for a goal or two, keep playing with that speed and energy and you will net one. Coyle too, he should be due to score a big goal here and there too. Dallas is beatable, now you've seen it, feed off of it

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Was awesome seeing Granny hit both Benn's on one shift :yo:

He can actually throw his weight around a bit, mostly cuz I don't think players expect him to try and hit them lol

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Was awesome seeing Granny hit both Benn's on one shift :yo:

He can actually throw his weight around a bit, mostly cuz I don't think players expect him to try and hit them lol

He's also way more solid than he looks on TV. I stood next to him outside a restaurant a few months ago and I was very surprised at how tank-like he is. Oddly deceptive - not like Tarasenko or anything but could still tell he's quite strong.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota

No worries, Koivu. If you have on-the-glass seats, you should know better than to put your drink up there. :laugh: I doubt they cared anyway.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Win or lose tomorrow . . . I'm going to be pissed if they don't show up with the same effort and intensity as they did last night.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was last nights game proof that Granlund is better on the wing? Or did he switch to center for some of the game? TBH I watched it and didn't pay much attention to that, but noticed he was much more battle ready.

I've thought that Granlund is more suited to C, as he is small and doesn't shoot, but it could be that the reduced defensive demands of wing will allow him to focus more on scoring.

Of course, now we have to find a C who will set him up...which would, ideally, be him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad