WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Prediction: Dallas loses game 1, because they have in every series since the 2020 finals. Oilers fans start actually thinking they'll win the series (because right now it's all false confidence). Then Dallas goes on to win the next 4.

Does anyone actually think that the Oilers have looked good these playoffs? I've yet to see a game of theirs where I thought, "this is a good team". Obviously they have some high end talent, but this isn't basketball where those players alone can win championships, depth does. Add on the fact that defense wins championships, and Oilers don't have that or goaltending. The ONLY thing Dallas can be slightly concerned about is special teams. At worst, Dallas is 6.

This is no disrespect towards the Oilers, Dallas is just that good this year.
Still standing by it, Stars in 5 or possibly 6.

Every Stars' fan already called a game 1 loss, this team starts series slow. It is what it is. And to top it off they suck at home too, I believe they're 2-5 this playoffs. Oilers did exactly what they need to, to win. The big players showed up and Skinner had a solid game. I don't expect both those things to keep happening for 3 more games for them to win the series.

And I knew there'd be crying about the refs, but what game were some of you watching. I believe, Dallas is one of if not the least penalized teams in the league. You aren't going to be getting more PPs than them. I hate when people think PPs should be even. No, that's not how it works. Every penalty against Edmonton was warranted, hands to the head against Kane, slash on the gloves in the slot, and a non-arguable McDavid high stick (he got away with it last series, so don't go crying about it when he gets caught this time). I didn't see Dallas commit any infractions that Edmonton also wasn't called for.

Overall, Edmonton was the better team this game. I was mostly impressed by their penalty kill, though 75% of it was just winning the face off and not allowing the Stars to get set up. But those are two huge aspects of a PP/PK, so all the credit to them.

One thing this game reminded me of the Colorado series, not much animosity between the teams. They're just going out there and playing hockey. None of this constant after the whistle bs.

No surprises from either fanbase with overreacting after a game 1. It's the end of the world for Dallas, and Edmonton's winning the cup. Every series, every fan base. Like clockwork.

Reactions: JKG33

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Its annoying, as a fan, I'll give you that. I think Sean Shapiro was going to check with the NHL to see if any team ever won the Cup without winning a game 1, but he said that on a podcast after the game last night so maybe after Saturday he'll have an answer. I certainly don't want to try and figure it out :laugh:

Deboer is absolutely going to make adjustments, the next game won't be a repeat of this one.

Also Roope is a vital penalty killer, and fantastic defensively. He's also one of the few guys on the team that can skate toe to toe with McDavid, he's fast. His point total isn't the only loss by any means.
Probably a good thing the Oilers only got 1 power play then.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Big win in a tight game. Oilers need to be able to find ways to win those types of games against Dallas and they did just that. Wait until the power plays start coming too.

Reactions: nturn06

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
They were able to keep it close without their 1C and this was basically a must win game for Edmontons and they got it done

You beat a team without their 1C in double overtime

Maybe wait a bit more before boasting about how amazing you are..
I am far from an Oilers fan - I hate on them as much as anyone - but this is a ridiculous take. Hintz was missing the final two games of the Colorado series, and Dallas took out the Avs. Remember all this depth talk?

This series is far from over, but Oilers are full marks for drawing first blood. They played a textbook road game and got great goaltending from Skinner. They are full marks for the win, and probably deserved to win in regulation.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Every Stars' fan already called a game 1 loss, this team starts series slow. It is what it is. And to top it off they suck at home too, I believe they're 2-5 this playoffs. Oilers did exactly what they need to, to win. The big players showed up and Skinner had a solid game. I don't expect both those things to keep happening for 3 more games for them to win the series.

And I knew there'd be crying about the refs, but what game were some of you watching. I believe, Dallas is one of if not the least penalized teams in the league. You aren't going to be getting more PPs than them. I hate when people think PPs should be even. No, that's not how it works. Every penalty against Edmonton was warranted, hands to the head against Kane, slash on the gloves in the slot, and a non-arguable McDavid high stick (he got away with it last series, so don't go crying about it when he gets caught this time). I didn't see Dallas commit any infractions that Edmonton also wasn't called for.

Overall, Edmonton was the better team this game. I was mostly impressed by their penalty kill, though 75% of it was just winning the face off and not allowing the Stars to get set up. But those are two huge aspects of a PP/PK, so all the credit to them.

One thing this game reminded me of the Colorado series, not much animosity between the teams. They're just going out there and playing hockey. None of this constant after the whistle bs.

No surprises from either fanbase with overreacting after a game 1. It's the end of the world for Dallas, and Edmonton's winning the cup. Every series, every fan base. Like clockwork.

To the bolded....you should. You should expect both those things to keep happening for 3 more games, and Dallas needs to find a way to win despite this - because otherwise, it is truly going to be a short series....

True Skinner has had bad games previously in playoffs, but he also had a really strong season. It's a lot more likely he put forths a good series vs Dallas than he shits the bed. If you're relying on the opposing goalie having to shit the bed to have a chance to win....well, maybe it happens, but good chance it doesn't.

As for Oilers "big players showing up" - you should definitely expect that to keep happening. Dallas again needs to win in spite of McDrai + Bouchard doing good - because if you expect them to be shutdown....well it's possible, but quite unlikely.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I am far from an Oilers fan - I hate on them as much as anyone - but this is a ridiculous take. Hintz was missing the final two games of the Colorado series, and Dallas took out the Avs. Remember all this depth talk?

This series is far from over, but Oilers are full marks for drawing first blood. They played a textbook road game and got great goaltending from Skinner. They are full marks for the win, and probably deserved to win in regulation.
A lot of the goals the Oilers have given up this postseason were exactly like last night. Either brutal turnovers or weird bounces that end up in the back of the net.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Judge Dredd

Jan 18, 2020

The reffing was terrible.

The hit on Drai in the first was a carbon copy of the hit Kane was penalized for. A forearm that rides up high and catches a guy in the back of the head. You either call them both or not at all

The penalty on Bouchard was a baby slash that hit his shin pad a second or two before he even shot the puck....not his hands. There were at least half a dozen infractions on the Stars worse than that one that went uncalled.

The high sticks were obviously penalties.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t see how the Oilers do not win this series in four. There is probably not a team that I despise more than the Oilers. I genuinely think they are the most unlikable team that I can ever remember. I just have a feeling I’m going to be very disappointed this series.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The reffing was terrible.

The hit on Drai in the first was a carbon copy of the hit Kane was penalized for. A forearm that rides up high and catches a guy in the back of the head. You either call them both or not at all

The penalty on Bouchard was a baby slash that hit his shin pad a second or two before he even shot the puck....not his hands. There were at least half a dozen infractions on the Stars worse than that one that went uncalled.

The high sticks were obviously penalties.

I remember the Sportsnet crew pointing this out, going through the slow-motion replay........and I was laughing because what difference does it make?

Are slashes on the shinpads allowed? Or is it a slash either way, which is what I thought going into the game?

Reactions: Three On Zero

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon

The thing is, Dallas would have had a couple of warranted calls as well. Penalties don’t have to be even, but calls should be consistent.

Reactions: rhino71

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the superior dallas D sure looked like they were having issues with the oilers physical forecheck. I expect them to adjust to that but this series was never as lopsided as the HF geniuses wanted to make it out to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad