Proposal: Washington - San Jose

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
There are some “Caps fans” who never post on the Caps board and hijack every Caps trade proposal thread and turn it south. Exhibit 1,372 is this thread.

Hertl is a beast and I’d gladly give up a lot for him, if we can find a way to sign him to an extension. The 1st + Lappy is probably too rich for my blood if he’s purely a rental though.
I think every fan base has those.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Powinkle

Mar 25, 2016
Chico
Toffoli is signed for another year at less than $5M. Hertl is an expiring UFA likely looking for his Career Contract. It’s looking more and more everyday like 70PTs is an outlier for Hertl so he’s closer in actual production to Toffoli than is being portrayed. I’d say Hertl’s value is slightly higher in a vacuum. Factoring in contract, it’s probably uncomfortably close for SJ fans.
Hertl is pacing for 68 points. His most common line-mate is Barabanov with split time with Rudolf Balcers and Meier.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Hertl is pacing for 68 points. His most common line-mate is Barabanov with split time with Rudolf Balcers and Meier.
I can concede Hertl seems to be rounding into more of a consistent 70PT player of late. I’d like to see him do that over an 82 Game Regular Season but his pace has been consistent.

Reactions: Powinkle

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
It’s a good thing he’s playing better this year than when he came over after the TDL and that I’m talking about THIS year. Reimer has stolen more games for the Sharks than all of the Caps goalies combined this season. But no continue being ignorant.
All of what you said may be true but your ignoring what many have said. Reimer may be having a good year but he has never won anything when it counted. He is a career backup goalie. That is it. Even if he is traded to a contender, he won't do anything

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
totally agree….Caps should be constantly looking for good hockey trades to improve their chances…..but high price rentals have a track record of failure and they can gut your team cupboard pretty quickly.

I’d potentially trade any of Lapierre, CMM, for immediate upgrade core pieces….no rentals at those costs.
Agree with what you said if there were a cupboard to be raided. None of the kids are really all that impressive and what do late 1st round picks do for the next 4 years, nothing. Think they should try to win at all costs for the next 3 4 years. The whole core will be about done then. Regroup then, because they will be bad either way

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agree with what you said if there were a cupboard to be raided. None of the kids are really all that impressive and what do late 1st round picks do for the next 4 years, nothing. Think they should try to win at all costs for the next 3 4 years. The whole core will be about done then. Regroup then, because they will be bad either way

but not for rentals….Fools Gold…those firsts/2nds and the young guys we have, have some value.

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
No more 1st round picks for rentals please. I know the Caps are supposed to be "all in" for Ovi and that's great but we can't keep giving away firsts for nothing beyond a couple months.

And on Samsonov, I would prefer to see him with a good Caps team in the playoffs before he's jettisoned like we did with other young players. The covid years are too tough to judge him on.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
“None of the kids are really all that impressive”?

Errrrr what? This is how I know having best team over the last decade has melted some of our fans brains. This is by faaaaaaaar the most talent we’ve had in our farm system since 2006-09 era Bears.

These rookies are extremely impressive, all the guys who have suited up this season clearly have a future playing genuine NHL minutes.

McMichael
Lapierre
Protas
Fehervary
Leason
Alexeyev

Will all be NHL mainstays

AJF
Johansen
Pilon

TBD but worse case are tweeners between NHL and AHL.

They’re definitely performing far beyond their drafted position all things considered

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I'd do that deal immediately. Probably means it is too much value for San Jose.

Something more realistic would be:

Hertl (50%)
Reimer

Samsonov
Lapierre
Kempny for cap
2nd OR 1st if somehow Sharks can squeeze them.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
“None of the kids are really all that impressive”?

Errrrr what? This is how I know having best team over the last decade has melted some of our fans brains. This is by faaaaaaaar the most talent we’ve had in our farm system since 2006-09 era Bears.

These rookies are extremely impressive, all the guys who have suited up this season clearly have a future playing genuine NHL minutes.

McMichael
Lapierre
Protas
Fehervary
Leason
Alexeyev

Will all be NHL mainstays

AJF
Johansen
Pilon

TBD but worse case are tweeners between NHL and AHL.

They’re definitely performing far beyond their drafted position all things considered

Do you believe 2 or 3 of those guys will become 40 goal scorers and or 80+ point producers? Do you think Fehervary or Alexeyev will become even John Carlson lite?

Been a fan since the 80s, so way before the Ovi era and that is why I said what I said. I can remember when the caps had no real superstars outside of Bondra but could always be good enough to just be mediocre forever and lose to the top end teams in the first round every year before Ovi. You say the last 10 years has melted some fans brains and I agree with you but in the opposite way then you think. When Ovi goes the caps will be mediocre to abysmal for 3 -6 years because superstar players arent there to be had every draft. Yea all those youngs guys look like they will be nhl players of some sort for the next 5-10 years but I dont see any of them becoming the high end of the team. Hope im wrong.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Do you believe 2 or 3 of those guys will become 40 goal scorers and or 80+ point producers? Do you think Fehervary or Alexeyev will become even John Carlson lite?

Been a fan since the 80s, so way before the Ovi era and that is why I said what I said. I can remember when the caps had no real superstars outside of Bondra but could always be good enough to just be mediocre forever and lose to the top end teams in the first round every year before Ovi. You say the last 10 years has melted some fans brains and I agree with you but in the opposite way then you think. When Ovi goes the caps will be mediocre to abysmal for 3 -6 years because superstar players arent there to be had every draft. Yea all those youngs guys look like they will be nhl players of some sort for the next 5-10 years but I dont see any of them becoming the high end of the team. Hope im wrong.
I’m sorry, what 80 point guy is available for these guys? We went from “I’m not impressed” to being “well none of them will be 80 point guys”

Also yes, I think it’s quite possible Fehevary becomes better than John Carlson given that John Carlson isn’t very good at the whole defense thing.

I also think there exists a world where both McMichael and Lapierre have something of a ceiling like that (is it 40 goals and 80 points? Maybe not but I could see both being 30g guys)

I’d be way more interested in trading that other guy (74) you mentioned before some of these young guys. But that’s a different story

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I'd do that deal immediately. Probably means it is too much value for San Jose.

Something more realistic would be:

Hertl (50%)
Reimer

Samsonov
Lapierre
Kempny for cap
2nd OR 1st if somehow Sharks can squeeze them.
Caps cannot trade Lapierre for a rental. I would hope the Caps would pass.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
With what cap space?

Sharks retaining, and some combo of Schultz, Eller, Kempny and Hags going out.
Hertl is on a very reasonable deal, but as stated, we only give up one of our best prospects if we were sure Hertl would extend.
At least 2 of (Schultz, Eller, Kempny and Hags) these would be gone in the off-season anyway if this were the case.

I took some convincing on this, but a future (post Ovi and Backy) for some years with Kuzy, Hertl, Protas and whatever is left of CMM and Jimmy. Maybe we don't have to suck at all.
Signing Hertl long term would be like succession planning.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Sharks retaining, and some combo of Schultz, Eller, Kempny and Hags going out.
Hertl is on a very reasonable deal, but as stated, we only give up one of our best prospects if we were sure Hertl would extend.
At least 2 of (Schultz, Eller, Kempny and Hags) these would be gone in the off-season anyway if this were the case.

I took some convincing on this, but a future (post Ovi and Backy) for some years with Kuzy, Hertl, Protas and whatever is left of CMM and Jimmy. Maybe we don't have to suck at all.
Signing Hertl long term would be like succession planning.
The Sharks retaining has nothing to do with Cap Space the Caps would need to extend Hertl.

The Caps don’t see Reimer for Samsonov as a PUSH, that clearly favors SJ, considering Reimers age alone. I doubt Reimer is an option the Caps would spend anything above a 3rd for.

I don’t have to go on a limb to say the Caps Are Not going to trade Samsonov / Lapierre / Kempny / and a 1st with the possibility that all they have to show for it next season is James f***ing Reimer.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This thread is fantastical.
To retain Hertl the Caps would require some Major Financial Gymnastics to still ice a competitive team moving forward.
Barring those Financial Gymnastics, the Caps are extremely unlikely to be competitive in any bidding for Hertl.
I see no appetite for the team to trade major future pieces; Lapierre, McMichael, Protas… for a player they don’t have a competent plan on signing to term.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2010
I'm not going to read through this nonsense but I'm assuming San Jose fans are hoping he's re-signed and most logical people in the thread think this is a bit crazy from the Capitals point of view?

I'd love to have Hertl here even as a rental but that package is wild. Kempny may be a dump but otherwise I'd value Sammy around a first, there's another 1st on top of that, a recent 1st who I would argue has been playing above his draft value, our mainstay 3rd line center and another second. Ludicrous.

I can't even begin to argue how much I disagree with that Reimer valuation.

Reactions: third man in

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
The Sharks retaining has nothing to do with Cap Space the Caps would need to extend Hertl.

The Caps don’t see Reimer for Samsonov as a PUSH, that clearly favors SJ, considering Reimers age alone. I doubt Reimer is an option the Caps would spend anything above a 3rd for.

I don’t have to go on a limb to say the Caps Are Not going to trade Samsonov / Lapierre / Kempny / and a 1st with the possibility that all they have to show for it next season is James f***ing Reimer.

I never said anything about Reimer.

The Sharks retaining has plenty to do with cap space for this year. I assume trading Eller alone gets it done. And we can afford him in the off-season.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I never said anything about Reimer.

The Sharks retaining has plenty to do with cap space for this year. I assume trading Eller alone gets it done. And we can afford him in the off-season.
Reimer was part of the deal you quoted.

As for the bold. Not without making sacrifices to the D and F depth which should be a bigger priority than pulling out all stops to add a luxury F.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad