Proposal: Washington - San Jose

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m in the camp that the time to get better is here and gone. Now we just hold the line and develop. We’re not beating Tampa, Florida, or Carolina in a 7-Game series without a truckload of luck. I’m not betting the future on getting hit by that truck.

Fair enough. If your position is that they need to gracefully go into the post-Ovechkin phase of the franchise while keeping their assets then this deal likely doesn't make sense.

I'm in a different camp. Ovechkin is a once-in-a-lifetime player and I think they should sell out to try to give them as good a chance as possible to win in the next few years, even if they are still underdogs. I don't see a reason to keep a prospect like Lapierre when he's not going to be in his prime until Ovechkin is in his 40s, for example.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ten Game Sample Size is Ten Game Sample Size. Reimer has played in the POs on teams with Higher Aspirations and he has been let go by each of them. You don’t waste assets in the hope a guy is going to have a career-defining and history-defying hot streak that goes against everything he has consistently shown himself to be (the word is mediocre). Maybe Andrew Hammond is available he has a career 3.00 PO GAA and 0.924 SV %. Wonder what he’ll take to acquire?
Higher aspirations? I mean every team wants to win a cup but the only people who thought Toronto, SJ, or CAR (before this season) were going to win the cup were only the most deluded of fans…. Again you are completely ignoring his stats this season.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Higher aspirations? I mean every team wants to win a cup but the only people who thought Toronto, SJ, or CAR (before this season) were going to win the cup were only the most deluded of fans…. Again you are completely ignoring his stats this season.
He’s playing a lost season. Ask every Columbus Blue Jackets goalie ever how their stats are and how that correlated to winning in the POs.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Reimer has another year on his contract at $2.25M, so he could potentially be their starter next year as well.

I think he's an upgrade over Samsonov and Vanecek. I'd gladly take someone over Reimer if he's better, but I'm having trouble identifying a goalie who is available and definitely better than Reimer, especially when you factor in cap hit. He's 12th among all goalies in terms of goals saved above expected over the past 3 years, and 17th this year. The guys above him are names like Shesterkin, Sarros, Andersen, Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, etc. These players are almost certainly unavailable. A name he is better than is Marc-Andre Fleury, a guy Washington has been linked to. Reimer is also $4.75M cheaper.

Again, find me a goalie who's better and available and I'd gladly pursue him instead.
How is a 33 year old goalie an upgrade of Vanecek (who has almost the same stats) and is 7 years younger or Samsonov who is maybe worse right now but will be an RFA and is 9 years younger?

The guy will be 34 in a month and is essentially comparable to both guys the Caps have. The difference being the Caps have youth on their side and Reimer is probably going to decline pretty soon.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
How is a 33 year old goalie an upgrade of Vanecek (who has almost the same stats) and is 7 years younger or Samsonov who is maybe worse right now but will be an RFA and is 9 years younger?

The guy will be 34 in a month and is essentially comparable to both guys the Caps have. The difference being the Caps have youth on their side and Reimer is probably going to decline pretty soon.

Vanecek and Samsonov have worse stats than Reimer when it comes to goals saved above expected. I wouldn't say they are similar as of this moment. Reimer is 16 and 18 goals better than Vanecek and Samonsov, respectively, over the past 3 seasons. He is 4 and 7 goals better this season, respectively.

I don't care about youth. I care about performance this year and next. I think Reimer is better suited for that role than Vanecek or Samsonov. Vanecek is also injured and it's going to be tough to predict how he'll return from injury, especially if it's a concussion like I suspect it is. I also don't plan on them losing Vanecek, so he'll have plenty of opportunity next season to grab the reins if Reimer doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caps8112

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
any sharks goalie with a save percentage above .900 is the second coming of Hasek

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
any sharks goalie with a save percentage above .900 is the second coming of Hasek
If Irbe can still strap-em-on I’ll take him over Reimer too. He did, in fact, win a Playoff Round once and almost by himself at that.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I don't like waiting until next season because Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Oshie will all be a year older and likely less effective players than they currently are. It's also hard to expect Kuznetsov to play better than he is now, along with guys like Carlson and Orlov who likely aren't going to be any better next year either. Add to that teams like Carolina, NYR, Florida, Toronto, and even others should either stay strong or perhaps be even better next season. I think the time to go for it is now.
Agree but Reimer isn't the answer. If caps are going for it, actually go fir it and get gibson or someone of that caliber. Team is going scorched earth in 4 more seasons

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
My opinion don't mean shit but I tend to agree with @Caps8112 . I feel that if they're willing to deal LaPierre, Samsonov, a 1st and a 2nd, I'd be more inclined to just add other lesser pieces (Alexeyev Leason Protas types) and target a true stud long term starter, whether they're currently believed to be available or not.

Reactions: Caps8112

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
My opinion don't mean shit but I tend to agree with @Caps8112 . I feel that if they're willing to deal LaPierre, Samsonov, a 1st and a 2nd, I'd be more inclined to just add other lesser pieces (Alexeyev Leason Protas types) and target a true stud long term starter, whether they're currently believed to be available or not.
There’s not a goalie that’s ever played in the League that I’d pay that price for. Not Roy, not Brodeur, not Dryden…

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The caps should pick one of Lapierre or McMichael to keep on the roster. I'd choose McMichael and sell Lapierre for immediate help to go for it one last time with Ovi and the core. Lapierre won't be ready for another two years and won't be in his prime until Backstrom and Ovi are gone and of course no guarantee he's even a top 6 guy when that happens. If they can sell him for Hertl and possibly sign Hertl as well i'd do it.

Can Hertl sign an 8 year deal with whatever team he is traded too? How does that work?

Reactions: twabby

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The caps should pick one of Lapierre or McMichael to keep on the roster. I'd choose McMichael and sell Lapierre for immediate help to go for it one last time with Ovi and the core. Lapierre won't be ready for another two years and won't be in his prime until Backstrom and Ovi are gone and of course no guarantee he's even a top 6 guy when that happens. If they can sell him for Hertl and possibly sign Hertl as well i'd do it.

Can Hertl sign an 8 year deal with whatever team he is traded too? How does that work?
Yeah only the team that holds his rights will be able to offer the 8th year

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
At the start if the season, Reimer was playing out of his mind, and was the reason the Sharks were at the top of the Pacific.

Since Christmas, his play has come back to earth, and it is a big reason why they are now close to the bottom of the Pacific.

His historical post season numbers are quite solid never playing for powerhouse teams. If I were acquiring him, I would not be concerned about the pressure, but I might be more concerned about his consistency levels this season.

As far as the proposal, San Jose says "yes" and "no take-backs" before the ink on the offer has even dried :laugh:
Reiner’s bad numbers have rarely been his fault. The sharks have left him to dry repeatedly. It’s not like Jones where he’d allow five goals and only should have allowed two. Reimer might have one bad goal in a lot of these blowouts the Sharks have had against them. The team just plainly sucks.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Reiner’s bad numbers have rarely been his fault. The sharks have left him to dry repeatedly. It’s not like Jones where he’d allow five goals and only should have allowed two. Reimer might have one bad goal in a lot of these blowouts the Sharks have had against them. The team just plainly sucks.
And that’s fine… but great goalies overcome bad defense. We need a goalie who can steal games, the two we have are just like Reimer, their numbers are largely a reflection of their defense, we need a guy who is playing above his expected outcome.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And that’s fine… but great goalies overcome bad defense. We need a goalie who can steal games, the two we have are just like Reimer, their numbers are largely a reflection of their defense, we need a guy who is playing above his expected outcome.
Reimer has stolen games for the Sharks.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Reimer has stolen games for the Sharks.
Yeah, I’m looking for goalies who have stolen games at some point after the Obama administration.

I get that he’s a hometown favorite, but Sharks are waaaay out to lunch on this dudes value. It’s not 2013 fellas, Reimer is old and most teams see him as a back up.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah, I’m looking for goalies who have stolen games at some point after the Obama administration.

I get that he’s a hometown favorite, but Sharks are waaaay out to lunch on this dudes value. It’s not 2013 fellas, Reimer is old and most teams see him as a back up.
It’s a good thing he’s playing better this year than when he came over after the TDL and that I’m talking about THIS year. Reimer has stolen more games for the Sharks than all of the Caps goalies combined this season. But no continue being ignorant.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

Reimer is one of the biggest reasons why the Sharks aren't a top-5 pick this year

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
There are some “Caps fans” who never post on the Caps board and hijack every Caps trade proposal thread and turn it south. Exhibit 1,372 is this thread.

Hertl is a beast and I’d gladly give up a lot for him, if we can find a way to sign him to an extension. The 1st + Lappy is probably too rich for my blood if he’s purely a rental though.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Caps should be all in on trying to win from now until Ovi decides to retire. I don’t care about prospects that won’t be able to help him win a cup before he retires. The suck is coming and sitting on the fence will only make things worse.

Reactions: twabby

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There are some “Caps fans” who never post on the Caps board and hijack every Caps trade proposal thread and turn it south. Exhibit 1,372 is this thread.

Hertl is a beast and I’d gladly give up a lot for him, if we can find a way to sign him to an extension. The 1st + Lappy is probably too rich for my blood if he’s purely a rental though.

it is a weird dynamic….I see that and ‘I’m like who ARE these people who never come to our board’…yet battle on the mains only. So weird.

I’m with you completely on the trade. No rentals that are that costly…

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Caps should be all in on trying to win from now until Ovi decides to retire. I don’t care about prospects that won’t be able to help him win a cup before he retires. The suck is coming and sitting on the fence will only make things worse.

totally agree….Caps should be constantly looking for good hockey trades to improve their chances…..but high price rentals have a track record of failure and they can gut your team cupboard pretty quickly.

I’d potentially trade any of Lapierre, CMM, for immediate upgrade core pieces….no rentals at those costs.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
totally agree….Caps should be constantly looking for good hockey trades to improve their chances…..but high price rentals have a track record of failure and they can gut your team cupboard pretty quickly.

I’d potentially trade any of Lapierre, CMM, for immediate upgrade core pieces….no rentals at those costs.
Agreed. Rentals for top prospects doesn’t make any sense. Upgrades with term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad