Proposal: Washington - San Jose

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This deal is terrible for Washington on multiple levels.

Reimer is not the right fit for anything. He’s a veteran but not a particularly good one and certainly not good enough that the Caps should spend to get him.

Hertl is a tier of Rental the Caps should avoid and despite suggestions to the contrary, there is practically NO WAY the Caps can retain him at a salary he’s going to command. The suggestion that the Caps could offer him an 8th year is great if you think he’ll be productive until he’s 40. I have no such belief.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You understand Reimer is having a great season and has played good to great in the playoffs right?
Reimer has approx. 10 career PO games and is 5-5 in those games. If that’s “good” I am beginning to understand SJ fans concept of “good” in the POs which kinda explains the teams reputation.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
isnt Reimer closer to not being in the league anymore then being a number 1? Seems to heavily favor the sharks, maybe not in "right now" value

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
isnt Reimer closer to not being in the league anymore then being a number 1? Seems to heavily favor the sharks, maybe not in "right now" value
Reimer took over the 1 spot in San Jose and has a .916 save percentage this season. Hill is the goalie who has disappointed in San Jose

Reactions: themelkman

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I just don’t believe the Caps are in a position where we can trade Lapierre for a rental.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Reimer took over the 1 spot in San Jose and has a .916 save percentage this season. Hill is the goalie who has disappointed in San Jose
thats fine but i doubt you will find many on here that believe Reimer is a number 1 goalie or capable of winning in the playoffs. He has had his chances.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Reimer has approx. 10 career PO games and is 5-5 in those games. If that’s “good” I am beginning to understand SJ fans concept of “good” in the POs which kinda explains the teams reputation.
Record is team based. Numbers aren’t. Thought that was common knowledge.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
.916 ?

That’s the kind of meh goaltending we already have. VV is .915 an Samsonov is .906

.916 literally makes him tied for 17th in the league

Y’all ain’t making arguments you think you are

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
.916 ?

That’s the kind of meh goaltending we already have. VV is .915 an Samsonov is .906

Over the past 3 seasons Reimer is 10 goals saved above expected in all situations, while Vanecek is -5 and Samsonov is -7. If we restrict it to just year, Reimer (+6) is similarly better than Samsonov (-1) and Vanecek (+2).

If I had to handpick a goalie it'd probably be someone different, but Washington needs to add more than just a goalie to be competitive this postseason so Reimer is someone I'd target as a great value-add. Who else is even available that is clearly better than Reimer? Reimer's numbers are better than MAF's, for instance, over this season (+6 to -5) and the past 3 seasons combined (+10 to +1).

Reactions: Hivemind

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Over the past 3 seasons Reimer is 10 goals saved above expected in all situations, while Vanecek is -5 and Samsonov is -7. If we restrict it to just year, Reimer (+6) is similarly better than Samsonov (-1) and Vanecek (+2).

If I had to handpick a goalie it'd probably be someone different, but Washington needs to add more than just a goalie to be competitive this postseason so Reimer is someone I'd target as a great value-add. Who else is even available that is clearly better than Reimer? Reimer's numbers are better than MAF's, for instance, over this season (+6 to -5) and the past 3 seasons combined (+10 to +1).
Kinda agree with the caps need more then a goalie. Rather jettison dead wait then bring more in with Reimer. Caps have 3 mediocre goalies already. If they need too much to try to win, just lose some contracts instead, regroup next season

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kinda agree with the caps need more then a goalie. Rather jettison dead wait then bring more in with Reimer. Caps have 3 mediocre goalies already. If they need too much to try to win, just lose some contracts instead, regroup next season

I don't like waiting until next season because Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Oshie will all be a year older and likely less effective players than they currently are. It's also hard to expect Kuznetsov to play better than he is now, along with guys like Carlson and Orlov who likely aren't going to be any better next year either. Add to that teams like Carolina, NYR, Florida, Toronto, and even others should either stay strong or perhaps be even better next season. I think the time to go for it is now.

Reactions: Caps8112

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
.916 ?

Tied for 17th in the league would mean he's a number 1. My comment was in regards to a caps fan asking if Reimer was closer to out of the league then a number 1...so yes my argument is exactly what I meant.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
At the start if the season, Reimer was playing out of his mind, and was the reason the Sharks were at the top of the Pacific.

Since Christmas, his play has come back to earth, and it is a big reason why they are now close to the bottom of the Pacific.

His historical post season numbers are quite solid never playing for powerhouse teams. If I were acquiring him, I would not be concerned about the pressure, but I might be more concerned about his consistency levels this season.

As far as the proposal, San Jose says "yes" and "no take-backs" before the ink on the offer has even dried :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
At the start if the season, Reimer was playing out of his mind, and was the reason the Sharks were at the top of the Pacific.

Since Christmas, his play has come back to earth, and it is a big reason why they are now close to the bottom of the Pacific.

His historical post season numbers are quite solid never playing for powerhouse teams. If I were acquiring him, I would not be concerned about the pressure, but I might be more concerned about his consistency levels this season.

As far as the proposal, San Jose says "yes" and "no take-backs" before the ink on the offer has even dried :laugh:

Reimer is not even close to a big reason why the Sharks are now close to the bottom of the Pacific. Reimer's numbers are a direct result of the team in front not being good or deep in any real way. Even goalies playing great will still give up goals if the team in front sucks and boy does this team suck. His numbers should be worse. There's a reason why he's still above goals saved above expected.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Reimer is not even close to a big reason why the Sharks are now close to the bottom of the Pacific. Reimer's numbers are a direct result of the team in front not being good or deep in any real way. Even goalies playing great will still give up goals if the team in front sucks and boy does this team suck. His numbers should be worse. There's a reason why he's still above goals saved above expected.

Reimer not playing out of his mind is exactly why the Sharks went from the top of the standings to the bottom.

The only reason the Sharks were at the top of the Pacific was because Reimer was regularly posting games with .944 or .952 save percentages.

If you take the averages, his numbers are still decent, but he's been below average the past two months and you can not deny that his performance has been lacking, regardless of how the team in front of him is playing.

I agree that Reimer is not the problem in San Jose, but we had this conversation last summer and I said the Sharks are not a playoff team for all the reasons you just listed as why Riemer's numbers are bad, and if you recall, you told me that the Sharks were absolutely a playoff team and that I did not know what I was talking about. :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Reimer not playing out of his mind is exactly why the Sharks went from the top of the standings to the bottom.

The only reason the Sharks were at the top of the Pacific was because Reimer was regularly posting games with .944 or .952 save percentages.

If you take the averages, his numbers are still decent, but he's been below average the past two months and you can not deny that his performance has been lacking, regardless of how the team in front of him is playing.

I agree that Reimer is not the problem in San Jose, but we had this conversation last summer and I said the Sharks are not a playoff team for all the reasons you just listed as why Riemer's numbers are bad, and if you recall, you told me that the Sharks were absolutely a playoff team and that I did not know what I was talking about. :laugh:

I actually can deny that his performance has been lacking because it's not his game that has degraded that has caused the goals to go in. It's the team in front of him.

And I don't know what you're even referencing with the last part so I won't comment on it outside of I doubt that it is what you think it is. I haven't been saying the Sharks are absolutely a playoff team without pretty significant caveats.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Record is team based. Numbers aren’t. Thought that was common knowledge.
Ten Game Sample Size is Ten Game Sample Size. Reimer has played in the POs on teams with Higher Aspirations and he has been let go by each of them. You don’t waste assets in the hope a guy is going to have a career-defining and history-defying hot streak that goes against everything he has consistently shown himself to be (the word is mediocre). Maybe Andrew Hammond is available he has a career 3.00 PO GAA and 0.924 SV %. Wonder what he’ll take to acquire?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I don't like waiting until next season because Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Oshie will all be a year older and likely less effective players than they currently are. It's also hard to expect Kuznetsov to play better than he is now, along with guys like Carlson and Orlov who likely aren't going to be any better next year either. Add to that teams like Carolina, NYR, Florida, Toronto, and even others should either stay strong or perhaps be even better next season. I think the time to go for it is now.
I’m in the camp that the time to get better is here and gone. Now we just hold the line and develop. We’re not beating Tampa, Florida, or Carolina in a 7-Game series without a truckload of luck. I’m not betting the future on getting hit by that truck.

Reactions: Irie

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

How does the last three years help me in taking on an aging G who doesn’t fit into the Caps plans beyond this season?

I’m not saying Reimer as a career G is bad but for the purpose of this season he’s not an upgrade

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Tied for 17th in the league would mean he's a number 1. My comment was in regards to a caps fan asking if Reimer was closer to out of the league then a number 1...so yes my argument is exactly what I meant.
Cool… I’m not looking for someone who is technically a 1, I’m looking for a guy who can win in the playoffs.

being in the top 32 G’s doesn’t mean you’re a playoff G.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Washington needs a starting goalie desperately and they also need a legit top 6 center given Backstrom's current limitations due to an ongoing hip injury. They are also near the end of their contention window and should be willing to give up a lot of value to make a final few pushes at the end of Ovechkin's career. So the proposal is as follows:

Washington receives:
Tomas Hertl, with $750,000 retained
James Reimer

San Jose receives:
Hendrix Lapierre (perhaps Washington's second best prospect)
2022 first round draft pick (WSH)
2022 second round draft pick (WPG)
Ilya Samonsov
Lars Eller
Michal Kempny

I figure Hertl himself is probably worth Lapierre + the first round pick + Eller (Eller can be flipped next year if SJ is rebuilding, as he has one more year left on his deal). The retention on Hertl is needed to make Washington cap-compliant.

And I think Reimer is worth Samsonov + Winnipeg's 2022 second round draft pick, but let me know if I'm off-base here. Samsonov is a former first round pick who has the raw talent to be a good starter in the NHL but hasn't been able to put it together yet. Perhaps Evgeni Nabokov could work with Samsonov to make it work out well for San Jose.

San Jose (or some other team) would also need to take Kempny purely as a cap dump. His contract expires this year. If Washington needs to add a third round pick to make this happen, I wouldn't quibble.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
How does the last three years help me in taking on an aging G who doesn’t fit into the Caps plans beyond this season?

I’m not saying Reimer as a career G is bad but for the purpose of this season he’s not an upgrade

Reimer has another year on his contract at $2.25M, so he could potentially be their starter next year as well.

I think he's an upgrade over Samsonov and Vanecek. I'd gladly take someone over Reimer if he's better, but I'm having trouble identifying a goalie who is available and definitely better than Reimer, especially when you factor in cap hit. He's 12th among all goalies in terms of goals saved above expected over the past 3 years, and 17th this year. The guys above him are names like Shesterkin, Sarros, Andersen, Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, etc. These players are almost certainly unavailable. A name he is better than is Marc-Andre Fleury, a guy Washington has been linked to. Reimer is also $4.75M cheaper.

Again, find me a goalie who's better and available and I'd gladly pursue him instead.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Reimer has another year on his contract at $2.25M, so he could potentially be their starter next year as well.

I think he's an upgrade over Samsonov and Vanecek. I'd gladly take someone over Reimer if he's better, but I'm having trouble identifying a goalie who is available and definitely better than Reimer, especially when you factor in cap hit. He's 12th among all goalies in terms of goals saved above expected over the past 3 years, and 17th this year. The guys above him are names like Shesterkin, Sarros, Andersen, Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, etc. These players are almost certainly unavailable. A name he is better than is Marc-Andre Fleury, a guy Washington has been linked to. Reimer is also $4.75M cheaper.

Again, find me a goalie who's better and available and I'd gladly pursue him instead.
MAF is decidedly better than Reimer in one specific aspect and it’s honestly THE ONLY aspect the Caps should care about. If the two cost the same ($$$) I take Fleury 20 times out of 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad