Friedman: Washington is not done, “I think Washington is going to be to be very busy. I heard there is more coming there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I'd be very busy, too, if I just traded for Dubois' contract without any retention. I'd be busy answering the avalanche of phone calls from every other GM hoping that I'd take their worst contracts, as well.
Do Capitals really care about his salary?
Backstrom LITR perhaps even Oshie
Ovy Jensen and Carlson probably also all gone in 2 seasons

thats like 42m of salary cap off in 2 years.
Dubois contract is not good but they can afford it.
Atleast he can somehow bounceback while Kuemper is washed.

In 2 years the Capitals will be in post Ovy Era and will probably go on a rebuild anyways

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Ozempic for Oveshkin
GQsUsmxWYAATMAG

1718713772353-jpeg.883850
The league is in danger

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Still, his contract is way better than pld

PLD as a 50-60 point center is probably worth 5-6m per year, and he's just now turning 26. So he's like 3m overpaid if you wanna assume hes a 50-60 point guy. If the fit is right and he plays his best you're looking more at a 60-70 point guy and then with the cap jumping up its not really that bad of a contract.

And before you say he's not a 50-60 point center.. I mean he is. LA didn't work out. Can't ignore his body of work after one bad year. He's gonna get spoon fed 20 mins a night and top PP mins.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
weve got a slightly used jack campbell since you're willing to take on terrible contracts.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Chad is hit or miss with the Sabres.......but on the surface it makes some sense. Buffalo has more youth than they know what to do with, and the Caps have veterans coming out their earholes.

Buffalo needs playable experience, Washington needs playable youth (preferably with some speed).
Do you think that trade would be for the Sabres 1st round pick or roster players?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The PLD trade was somewhat advantageous for Washington in that it made the team much younger and for no draft picks or prospects whatsoever. No way does trading for Krug do anything for them. If Carolina trades KK (I have my doubts about that), that's the sort of trade Washington may have in mind.
The post was not meant to be taken seriously. It was wishful thinking.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
a possible landing spot for val nichushkin. caps have shown they are willing to take risks and there is a lot of upside there.

Mountlaine

Feb 8, 2018
Would they trade for Laine? Laine's gf is from there IIRC and Laine's biggest idol is Ovi so I would assume he would be okay ending up there

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Chad is hit or miss with the Sabres.......but on the surface it makes some sense. Buffalo has more youth than they know what to do with, and the Caps have veterans coming out their earholes.

Buffalo needs playable experience, Washington needs playable youth (preferably with some speed).
What positions does Buffalo need veteran guys in?

I've seen multiple Sabres fans propose deals that include Dowd and Jensen. (Both here on HF and in other forums.) Would that type of veteran depth be a realistic need? It doesn't look like Buffalo has any looming cap issues, unless it's purely an internal budget, so they wouldn't need to dump any salary.

Caps have stated a desire a get younger and faster. The younger part may have been satisfied (to them) with PLD, but I have no idea. Many Caps fans want them to get another top 6 forward with speed or at least one who can carry the puck and push the pace. We (in general, not all of course) also think they need those same traits from a defenseman to take offensive load off of Carlson.

There's been some chatter here that the Caps could or should be willing to trade McMichael if it helps them acquire the above. Not that he gives Buffalo the 'playable experience' you mention, but he could help tip scales in the right deal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Where does Buffalo need experience? Could definitely see something here. Still think Jensen makes a ton of sense for them, assuming Buffalo gets the Jensen of the five previous seasons and not the one from last year.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Ullmark. Get Ullmark. The Caps aren’t rebuilding. If Boston needs to move the player and there aren’t many suitors for him, try to acquire him for less. The Devils acquired Markstrom. The Kings re-acquired Keumper. Ullmark might want a contract extension as part of the trade. How many teams are in goalie market? Ottawa. However, how many players want to play in Ottawa and Ullmark seems to be a picky guy? Detroit? EF thinks Yzerman could be looking to improve his goaltending. Lindgren is a back-up goalie. Toronto? Acquire Ullmark.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
People can make fun of the Caps for trading for PLD but before everyone starts trying to dump the Nurses, Campbells, and Gallaghers of the world on us, the Caps management team has consistently looked for guys they think were previously undervalued and had strong underlying metrics. They also have shown an affinity for grabbing young, former high draft picks who may need a change of scenery (Brett Connolly, Lars Eller, Dylan Strome, Sonny Milano, TJ Oshie, Anthony Mantha, etc) and have had success doing so. They're not going to take your aging and declining anchors just because LOL the Caps traded for PLD.

PLD, for as much as he didn't work out last year in LA, was a 2-time 60-point center in his 23- and 24-age seasons and his skillset fits a lot of what Washington needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad