Friedman: Washington is not done, “I think Washington is going to be to be very busy. I heard there is more coming there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Doesn't make any sense. Caps are looking to get younger. They also wanted to get Carlson some help on D so if there is a young D Sabres are looking to move it'd make sense. Caps already added a forward and if they were to add another it'd likely be a free agent. No reason to add Skinner since he doesn't fit the age of players they are looking to add. You can get a younger and cheaper player through free agency. Sabres would need to give them a pretty good reason to do it.

I think there is something else on the works. Caps have lots of veterans and Sabres have lots of young talent.
Most are speculating it's a Nic Dowd to Buffalo situation. Doubt Capitals want to take on Skinner.
To me something like Oshie for Skinner with 1m retained + sweetener makes alot of sense. Buffalo gets out of that huge contract and gets some veteran leadership in Oshie for a year. Caps get slightly younger and potentially a decent top-6 guy for free.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No open spot in net. Lindgren was great as the starter last year and they have two guys who look absolutely ready and probably would have gotten games this season in other orgs down in Hershey in Shepard and Stevenson.

It seems a bit risky to bank on Lindgren/Sheppard/Stevenson as your top3 goalies, but then again risk taking seems to be the current Washington philosophy.

Could pay up.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
To me something like Oshie for Skinner with 1m retained + sweetener makes alot of sense. Buffalo gets out of that huge contract and gets some veteran leadership in Oshie for a year. Caps get slightly younger and potentially a decent top-6 guy for free.

Oshie is going to retire in Washington. That might happen sooner rather than later (Caps are waiting if he retires this summer) so still doesn’t make any sense.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
oshie is debating whether or not he is retiring before season starts due to injuries. with backstrom already on LTIR, and oshie possibly going to LTIR, could open up 16 million cap space

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
It seems a bit risky to bank on Lindgren/Sheppard/Stevenson as your top3 goalies, but then again risk taking seems to be the current Washington philosophy.

Could pay up.
If they were contending for the Cup.. absolutely. That ship has sailed, so they dumped Kuemper and running it back with some cheaper internal options.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If they were contending for the Cup.. absolutely. That ship has sailed, so they dumped Kuemper and running it back with some cheaper internal options.

I still think they will be aiming for the playoffs while Ovechkin is still there.

If they indeed do not sign another goalie and that trio pans out, it does open a bunch of cap for other moves.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I still think they will be aiming for the playoffs while Ovechkin is still there.

If they indeed do not sign another goalie and that trio pans out, it does open a bunch of cap for other moves.

It was already reported by Friedman at the TDL that Caps are exploring a Kuemper -trade to get their AHL goalies the chance they deserve. I don't see why this would have changed for the worse now that Shepard is 1 win away from another Calder Cup and Stevenson had a really good season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It was already reported by Friedman at the TDL that Caps are exploring a Kuemper -trade to get their AHL goalies the chance they deserve. I don't see why this would have changed for the worse now that Shepard is 1 win away from another Calder Cup and Stevenson had a really good season.

Which fits with what I said before about their philosophy of taking risks.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Just pushing the team into years of mediocrely.

I get AO is there but get him to waive his NTC for the good of the franchise.

They should have been going into full rebuild.

No, They shouldn’t. They should be loading the roster with people who can help Ovechkin break the all-time goals record as quickly as possible.

They can always rebuild and be awful for five years and draft well.

They will never get the chance to break 894 again.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah absolutely not. Skinner is a legit buyout candidate, per Friedman. If Washington really had interest they would just wait until they can sign him for a lot cheaper than the $8 million per year you’re presenting here.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Ozempic for Oveshkin
GQsUsmxWYAATMAG

1718713772353-jpeg.883850

Ready for a wild conspiracy? Steroids. That’s a steroid bod right there. Don’t look at me like I’m crazy, shit aids recovery, and at 65 years old Ovi needs that. Would explain a lot, no?

I have the same theory on Tiger Woods and Mike Trout, so don’t mind me. Used for recovery/consistency more than anything else, it’s a whole thing.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yes, that would qualify :laugh:

Trading Fever for 10A would be interesting for sure. I’m still not sure I’d do it but that’s a good offer. I guess it depends on if Washington thinks they can compete for the playoffs again this year or not, and if they have the appetite to hand a division rival a top four/top pair defenseman.
I don't think I'd do it 1 for 1 but 10th for like Fehervary+malenstyn, or something with Holtz (assuming he's a piece Washington is interested in) as well, like 10th+Holtz+3rd for Fehervary+17th+Malenstyn.

I obviously understand it would take a lot to get fehervary, but he to me seems like the exact cost controlled, fits into our age demographic and window type piece that fitzgerald talked about in terms of "having 10th overall available"

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I mean, there comes a point at which players sort of "earn" the right to respectfully retire as a "one team player" if they wish to.

And in the case of Ovechkin, at this point...the Caps are really only going as far as he can take them. Which probably isn't very far these days. But i don't see why he'd have any obligation to waive his trade protection just to "help out the franchise".

Those sort of "full rebuild" situations tend to just happen more organically than that anyway. As guys like Ovechkin, Yoshie, Carlsson age out...they'll get there in the next few years regardless. Unless they make some absolutely stellar "retooling" moves in the meantime, and enormous gambles like PLD pay off somehow.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
Skinner 50% retained and 11OVR for Nic Dowd? Buffalo obviously needs to add a nice sweetener to get Washington to take on skinner and get themselves a capable 4C in return

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
caps aint winning nothing , all they care about is feeding ao chances then going into rebuild mode . thusly any trades involve adding offensive talent . good passing dman would help , maybe a krug

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
PLD as a 50-60 point center is probably worth 5-6m per year, and he's just now turning 26. So he's like 3m overpaid if you wanna assume hes a 50-60 point guy. If the fit is right and he plays his best you're looking more at a 60-70 point guy and then with the cap jumping up its not really that bad of a contract.

And before you say he's not a 50-60 point center.. I mean he is. LA didn't work out. Can't ignore his body of work after one bad year. He's gonna get spoon fed 20 mins a night and top PP mins.
the contract blows - he’s a 60 pt lazy malcontent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad