Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals have acquired defenseman Jakob Chychrun from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for defenseman Nick Jensen and a 2026 third-round pic

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if Alan May will ever discuss his manhandling Chyc's pop aka Jeff "Chicklets" Chychrun on multiple occasions.

Us old timers still get hot under the collar that Paul Coffey was nabbing Norris's while defensive studs like Langway's only chance at a Norris was via the famed lifetime achievement category. Coffey was so atrocious at defense they finally moved him up to wing - exactly what I had been clamoring they do for years. In part so guys like Hot Rod could get their deserved recognition but also because he sucked at defense and that is what I would have done as a coach.

Real Defensemen lol
1720627969744.jpeg

Last edited:

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Coaches decide which defensemen are on the ice when. Coaches decide match-ups and PK duty. Don't confuse not PKing with poor results when PKing (or "can't PK").

A lot of coaches and trying to maximize the overall value of their defensive core, and that can involve selective deployments. A lot of coaches don't opt to gas out their best two-way player on the PK, especially if they have other viable PKers. They would rather save them for other situations, such as being able to contribute on higher leverage shifts where they can score.

To put it another way, Quinn Hughes is already playing 24:41/game overall. Are you going to take away even-strength or powerplay shifts from Hughes, who scored 92 points and tilts the ice at even-strength, so you can lighten the PK load of Ian Cole, Tyler Myers, or Carson Soucy? Personally, I'd agree with the approach Vancouver took, let the depth guys PK and fill their role so that you can deploy Hughes in situations where he can tilt the ice.
Fair enough.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This thread is
I wonder if Alan May will ever discuss his manhandling Chyc's pop aka Jeff "Chicklets" Chychrun on multiple occasions.

Us old timers still get hot under the collar that Paul Coffey was nabbing Norris's while defensive studs like Langway's only chance at a Norris was via the famed lifetime achievement category. Coffey was so atrocious at defense they finally moved him up to wing - exactly what I had been clamoring they do for years. In part so guys like Hot Rod could get their deserved recognition but also because he sucked at defense and that is what I would have done as a coach.

Real Defensemen lol
View attachment 893858
The league needs 2 defenseman awards... one for O and one for D. They really are two different roles. Still :heart: #5.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
This thread is

The league needs 2 defenseman awards... one for O and one for D. They really are two different roles. Still :heart: #5.
I tried to find a picture of him laying down to block a shot. Not a 1 to be found.

I remember when Malachuk got here after his first game - he had like 14 saves a shutout "#1 Star" and he said that was a joke that it was so easy playing behind our defense that he deserved no credit.

Langway turned this franchise around. It sure helped having Stevens join the team the same year. Add in Engbloom on that left side and it became a team strength overnight. Yeah I am still pissed we left Stevens walk... and contracts escalated immediately after that St Louis offer for 1M/year. 5 firsts didnt ease the pain of losing my favorite player.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I tried to find a picture of him laying down to block a shot. Not a 1 to be found.

I remember when Malachuk got here after his first game - he had like 14 saves a shutout "#1 Star" and he said that was a joke that it was so easy playing behind our defense that he deserved no credit.

Langway turned this franchise around. It sure helped having Stevens join the team the same year. Add in Engbloom on that left side and it became a team strength overnight. Yeah I am still pissed we left Stevens walk... and contracts escalated immediately after that St Louis offer for 1M/year. 5 firsts didnt ease the pain of losing my favorite player.
Somewhere I still have my Hockey News about the trade with Langs and Engblom on the cover.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020

Real Defensemen lol
View attachment 893858
Great f***ing pic! They need to create the "Langway" trophy for the best defensive defenseman. Dude won the Norris twice, what a badass. I vividly remember his OT winner vs the Rags, that was completely unexpected.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This thread is

I think they should have a Bobby Orr award for the best offensive defensemen to further encourage the Norris to be a 2 way award. Our guys are the ones getting robbed, do it the other way and Slavin and McDonough might be HOFers.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Great f***ing pic! They need to create the "Langway" trophy for the best defensive defenseman. Dude won the Norris twice, what a badass. I vividly remember his OT winner vs the Rags, that was completely unexpected.
Nice pull! I vividly remember it but i was listening on the radio road tripping to UVA - got there right after he scored. Side note for old UVA folk... We bar hopped and ended the night at the Bat Cave and amazingly got a ride home from a cute pre-goth era goth girl who decked out her car to be like the Bat Mobile. EDIT. I think that was the night heh.

Look at Rod jumping into the play a la Paul Coffey, LW. Any D man can do that.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
What was the cap centre like?
It was easier to get to off the beltway since it had like 20% the capacity of FedEx. Normally like 14400-16300/18100 attendance for Caps game so opposing fans could always get a foothold especially Philly. There weren't a huge number of big home wins, I was there for Druce on the loose, nothing topped that, I was hooked for life but from that point on it's like this house of disappointment and blown 3-1 leads. Then first round first year in the new building and the top 4 seeds go out and immediately there was a better vibe.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What was the cap centre like?
It was a shithole. But it was our shithole.

Dark. Terrible acoustics. Awful food. Just bad.

But I saw so many historic Caps moments and truly epic Dead shows and other concerts there. I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Actually, a friend of mine recently published an amazing book about it if anyone's interested: Capital Centre: A Retrospective

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It was a shithole. But it was our shithole.

Dark. Terrible acoustics. Awful food. Just bad.

But I saw so many historic Caps moments and truly epic Dead shows and other concerts there. I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Actually, a friend of mine recently published an amazing book about it if anyone's interested: Capital Centre: A Retrospective
Also... true story: Once driving myself home from a show at Cap Centre in my mom's garbage-ass '80s mustang, it seized up on the beltway. I pulled over and was sitting there wondering what to do. It was late, dark, and I was a teenage girl alone on the side of the highway. No cell phones. A short while after, a limo driver pulled over and offered to let me use his car phone. So here I am... no other way to get help, but also wondering if he's gonna rape and kill me... I risked it. He turned out to be cool.

Meanwhile, mom makes me check and see if the car will start up again. It does. She tells me to drive home. I say no f***ing way because this time a nice guy with a car phone stopped but next time it could be a serial killer. She gets all mad but calls AAA. Limo dude offers to drive me home, but I have to wait for AAA, so he hangs around until the tow truck arrives.

When I get home, mom is pissed. Less than two weeks later, that POS car seizes up again, this time for good. I have no recollection of what show I saw that night.

Cap Centre is a feature of just SO many of memories me, good and bad.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Also... true story: Once driving myself home from a show at Cap Centre in my mom's garbage-ass '80s mustang, it seized up on the beltway. I pulled over and was sitting there wondering what to do. It was late, dark, and I was a teenage girl alone on the side of the highway. No cell phones. A short while after, a limo driver pulled over and offered to let me use his car phone. So here I am... no other way to get help, but also wondering if he's gonna rape and kill me... I risked it. He turned out to be cool.

Meanwhile, mom makes me check and see if the car will start up again. It does. She tells me to drive home. I say no f***ing way because this time a nice guy with a car phone stopped but next time it could be a serial killer. She gets all mad but calls AAA. Limo dude offers to drive me home, but I have to wait for AAA, so he hangs around until the tow truck arrives.

When I get home, mom is pissed. Less than two weeks later, that POS car seizes up again, this time for good. I have no recollection of what show I saw that night.

Cap Centre is a feature of just SO many of memories for me, good and bad.
Still soloing some concert in the 80s deserve some props. Can't tell if my instincts or correct but seems like not as dangerous during that times but being by yourself no joke.

So tell me at least it was a 80s Mustang 6/4 banger. Man those were awful bodies.

Agreed on the memories of Landover Cap Center. Did not have many negative...mainly the 4 OT playoff lost to the Pens (f*** off Nedved). Merryweather Post Pavilion though man F that venue.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Still soloing some concert in the 80s deserve some props. Can't tell if my instincts or correct but seems like not as dangerous during that times but being by yourself no joke.

So tell me at least it was a 80s Mustang 6/4 banger. Man those were awful bodies.

Agreed on the memories of Landover Cap Center. Did not have many negative...mainly the 4 OT playoff lost to the Pens (f*** off Nedved). Merryweather Post Pavilion though man F that venue.
Merryweather was (is?) amazing. That's where I learned to love the Dead--the '85 shows--IYKYK.

Just as dangerous back then, just not as publicized/talked about.

Honestly don't recall the details... it was the first and only new car my mom ever bought in her life. So probably a 4 cyl. Hideous. Tan with a black rag top and flimsy AF.

Easter epic stands out as a shit memory at Landover, along pretty much all those Isles and Flyers playoff heartbreakers. The Goal in '88 washed a lot of the early pain away at least.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Merryweather was (is?) amazing. That's where I learned to love the Dead--the '85 shows--IYKYK.

Honestly don't recall the details... it was the first and only new car my mom ever bought in her life. So probably a 4 cyl. Hideous. Tan with a black rag top and flimsy AF.

Easter epic stands out as a shit memory at Landover, along pretty much all those Isles and Flyers playoff heartbreakers. The Goal in '88 washed a lot of the early pain away at least.
Good lord. Glad to have you here still! My first concerts were at Cap Centre. Rush was my first.

Lots of caps game. My favorite thing was the rednecks down low in the bleacher seats stomping their boots to “Let’s Go Caps”. It was crazy loud. Several fights down there as fans got pissed. But nothing better than the fan animosity against the Flyers, Pens, and Rangers in particular. Beer throws. Cussing. pushing. Straight up brawls. It was hostile and i loved it.

PS - I am a much friendlier fan today. But just as loud. So still causes some “misunderstandings”. Haha

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Had the most terrible weather luck with Merryweather. Never went to one with out rain. About the same with Nissan in Manassas. Maybe had one concert there without weather. April nor'easter murdered my one and only time to see Radiohead. Was high 40s in drenching rain with at least 15mph wind. A few of my party soldiered on I took all the girlfriend and wives to my brothers place who was only a couple miles away. Flooding mad exiting the venue terribad I think it took them 3 hours to go two miles to my bros place after the concert was over.

Memory time.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Good lord. Glad to have you here still! My first concerts were at Cap Centre. Rush was my first.

Lots of caps game. My favorite thing was the rednecks down low in the bleacher seats stomping their boots to “Let’s Go Caps”. It was crazy loud. Several fights down there as fans got pissed. But nothing better than the fan animosity against the Flyers, Pens, and Rangers in particular. Beer throws. Cussing. pushing. Straight up brawls. It was hostile and i loved it.

PS - I am a much friendlier fan today. But just as loud. So still causes some “misunderstandings”. Haha
oh man... some of my earliest memories are of the drunken brawls that used to break out between the Caps and Flyer fans in the late '70s. Our seats were section 100 and they'd put all the Philly people in the corner to our right. Fights would break out all along the frontier where they met the hometown folks.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I was just thinking about how in the Ovie era we stopped getting Philly, Pitt, NYR fans take overs. Nothing sucks like being out numbered at a home game and hearing the other teams chants. Im guessing thats why we have less fights in the stands.

Those Pitt fans storming the Capital steps after knocking us out 2 years in a row made 2018 Kuz walkoff even sweater.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
oh man... some of my earliest memories are of the drunken brawls that used to break out between the Caps and Flyer fans in the late '70s. Our seats were section 100 and they'd put all the Philly people in the corner to our right. Fights would break out all along the frontier where they met the hometown folks.
My dad’s a reformed 70s Flyers fan. He moved here for grad school the same year the Caps arrived, and bought season tickets when he got a job in year 2. Started out as a Flyers fan just there to watch hockey, and his Philly family would come down for the Caps-Flyers games and crowd into his one bedroom apartment cause it was so much cheaper than Flyers tickets in Philly it was worth it. The Caps grew on him as the lovable losers until one Flyers game he reflexively jumped up to celebrate a Caps goal. His mom looked over at his dad and said “We’ve lost him.” He’s been a Caps fan first ever since, and still has the season tickets.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My dad’s a reformed 70s Flyers fan. He moved here for grad school the same year the Caps arrived, and bought season tickets when he got a job in year 2. Started out as a Flyers fan just there to watch hockey, and his Philly family would come down for the Caps-Flyers games and crowd into his one bedroom apartment cause it was so much cheaper than Flyers tickets in Philly it was worth it. The Caps grew on him as the lovable losers until one Flyers game he reflexively jumped up to celebrate a Caps goal. His mom looked over at his dad and said “We’ve lost him.” He’s been a Caps fan first ever since, and still has the season tickets.
I love this so much. I miss our seats... but I really miss my dad. Cherish every minute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad