Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals have acquired defenseman Jakob Chychrun from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for defenseman Nick Jensen and a 2026 third-round pic

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
My take is:

Some people here love to complain. Don't see much to complain about this acquisition so GMBM's typical detractors are quiet.

Or they're all out trying to score some meth and haven't logged in lately.

Who knows.
Still here lol. Credit where credits due. He's had a really good off-season. Let's hope he can do some solid asset management here coming down the stretch this season. Sitting on a bunch of UFAs to get blitzed in the first round would be a unwise move. Trade as much as you can away, bring in Hershey guys to fill their roles and reload again next off-season with expiring contracts. Rinse and repeat until Ovi is done then dismantle whatever you can and embrace the tank and hope we can get a franchise player at the draft somehow to build the next dynasty around.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Still here lol. Credit where credits due. He's had a really good off-season. Let's hope he can do some solid asset management here coming down the stretch this season. Sitting on a bunch of UFAs to get blitzed in the first round would be an unwise move. Trade as much as you can away, bring in Hershey guys to fill their roles and reload again next off-season with expiring contracts. Rinse and repeat until Ovi is done then dismantle whatever you can and embrace the tank and hope we can get a franchise player at the draft somehow to build the next dynasty around.
I dunno if they truly have to tank to get there. Not anymore.

I mean, is that “the best way”? Probably — and you’ll notice I didn’t say “the surest way” — but nothing is ever guaranteed. Looks at unnamed franchises that tanked. Some still suck.

However, with this management brain trust, I think they would do great with a tank. So if that’s the route they choose, I’m with them.

That said, there are other routes these days. Last 2 cup champs haven’t “tanked”, to win their title. Neither did St Louis in 19. So 3 outta the last 6 didn’t go that route.

Is it important to get top 5 picks? Sure as heck yeah. f*** yeah!!

But those don’t always happen due to tanking, just a shit season. And also you can acquire in other ways, outside the draft.

Big picture?

Hasn’t this past week or so shown us at least one thing? That we should trust in the leadership to not only “see the problems”, but to “act on the problems”, when they can? Meaning salary cap allowances?

The grief ppl give GMBM is simply not warranted. He is top 5 GM in the league. He has experience/standing. He has a Cup. He’s good to the coaches and players.

Replacing him will 80% lead to a worse situation. He’s not GMGM, and I mean that in a good way. And hell, GMGM has his Cup too.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I saw a glimpse of betting odds for who will win the Norris -trophy next season and Chychrun was at +8000 and Carlson at +15000.

That's crazy for me but basically not everyone thinks he is this brutal D like Sens fans are making him to be.

I hope he's really that good.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Sens fan here, wishing Chychrun the best in Washington but you lot are going to be frsutrated by him. He has the body and physique to be a physical beast, but he's soft as butter with and without the puck. He never uses his body to tie a guy up, and then overskates with the puck instead of calming the play and looking for the right move.

Maybe Ovie and Wilson can get Chychrun to use his body for once.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sens fan here, wishing Chychrun the best in Washington but you lot are going to be frsutrated by him. He has the body and physique to be a physical beast, but he's soft as butter with and without the puck. He never uses his body to tie a guy up, and then overskates with the puck instead of calming the play and looking for the right move.

Sounds like we’ll both have some frustrations….otherwise, neither guy would likely be on the move….I’d suggest Chychrun knew he needed to keep from sustaining major injury, and in his mind wasn’t long for Ottawa, so he probably saved himself some last season.

I’d bet we get a bounce back season in his contract year. Likewise Jensen will have you pulling your hair out in the offensive zone, but that aside, expect him to play strong.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I don't know how much I buy into that stuff. It was his second ever NHL team and it was probably quite an adjustment to learn the system and start to gel with all the new teammates... like how we saw for the other guy involved in this deal.

Then the coach gets fired a few months in so he's having to learn new tactics and systems all over again. I would imagine physicality could decrease a bit while trying to make sure you're in the right position and looking for the right outlets immediately after winning a puck battle.

And maybe the guy just didn't gel with the organization... living in the city itself. The human element comes into play.

I'm not betting against the culture the Caps have built in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I saw a glimpse of betting odds for who will win the Norris -trophy next season and Chychrun was at +8000 and Carlson at +15000.

That's crazy for me but basically not everyone thinks he is this brutal D like Sens fans are making him to be.

I hope he's really that good.
Quinn Hughes just won a Norris and the guy doesn’t PK. That trophy isn’t about playing defense anymore. JC74 was robbed the year Josi (I think) won

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Not surprised with these gremlins. Feels like one of those players on a good team on their toes enforcing their will he looks great but reverse looks to be challenged.

At this point with the caps really doesn't matter all the much since they are not a SC challenging wheel house at this point.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

If you want to have a little fun, check out Chychrun when he was a rising star for the Yotes. I think he has a better shot than Carlson. We need to figure out how to get him on PP1.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

If you want to have a little fun, check out Chychrun when he was a rising star for the Yotes. I think he has a better shot than Carlson. We need to figure out how to get him on PP1.

This vid just reminds how much I despise the logo and colors of this franchise but for the moment, considering the state of the franchise, negative hitpoints. Hopefully they don't somehow get gifted with the Last Stand mythic feat and truly pass away.

Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Green rated ever so slightly higher than Chara in 2009, but it was splitting hairs. Chara was much better defensively so maybe that gave him the edge with voters. Similarly in 2010 Green was just a tick behind Duncan Keith in the GAR metrics. Green had good cases in both years but he wasn't robbed.

Carlson was lucky to get second place and should have been nowhere near winning the Norris in 2020. He was certainly strong on the offensive side of the puck but he completely abandoned defensive responsibilities that year. Josi was the right choice, and I would have had at least 10 others ahead of Carlson.

Reactions: Hivemind

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Mike Green and Carlson should have a Norris. Voters always hated caps
Green wins the Norris in today’s NHL. He still has the most goals by a defenseman for at least two decades if not more. The other two who came close, Burns with 29 in 16-17 and Makar with 28 in 21-22, both won Norris trophies those years

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Green paved the way for guys like Karlsson to win the Norris later on. He was robbed in 2009 for Chara's career achievement award, although Keith's was legit in 2010.

Agreed with Twabby that Carlson shouldn't have been close to a Norris in 2020.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Remember the Mike Green hate around here in 2009/2010. Everyone despised that Mike Green was scoring a ton. Bunch of haters

It was before I really understood any sort of advanced hockey metrics but I was like “uhh he’s scoring goals, that’s why he’s not clearing the crease”

Reactions: usiel and Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad