Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Yeah, the more I think about this... the only thing that makes sense to be is some conditional return that has yet to happen and this was the down payment to reserve the cap space/asset.

Like if he netted Gibson, we have an agreement to send them Husso or something for a 4th; but if the Gibson thing doesn't happen, we can send them Mattaa for a 3rd (or whatever).

So the trade looks more like Walman + Husso + 2nd for a 4th - as a way to clear off cap space for free agency. But the actual cap dump to them as the 2nd part of this has yet to be determined based upon another transaction. Like we would be less interested in moving Husso if a Gibson deal doesn't go through, and would instead send Mattaa if we lock in a LD or something in FA. This becomes more of a payment for SJ to eat 8M plus in contracts for us so we can clear up logjams and playing time / cap space.

The reason it needed to happen now is to make sure that SJ reserves either the asset pre-draft and not to trade or move it (can't be an explicit player, think that was banned in the CBA) and/or to keep a cap space reserved for the Wings asset to be named. DET wants to keep their options open and didn't want to make the whole trade at once based upon scenario and needlessly call out a player until it knew for sure which way it was going.

This is a serious reach but it's the only thing that makes sense

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
The people holding out hope that there's more to the trade are. Personally, I think it's over and done.
Agreed. The only thing that might be going on is it is connected to the Rangers and the Goodrow claim.

1) San Jose scratched NYR’s back with Goodrow claim.

2) We scratched San Jose’s back with 2nd/Walman trade

3) NYR is about to scratch our back ??

Trouba cannot be traded right now FYI. His full NTC expires on July 1st. Maybe they are going to give us Trouba for free with good retention?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I got some more insight yesterday and the bottom line is that Walman, down the stretch when the team was going through their two extended slumps, really burned some bridges in the locker room. That's why he's gone.

Keeping with what Yzerman told the entire organization when he was brought in, that everyone (from coaching staff down to arena staff) is expected to go above and beyond your job requirements, or you will not be part of the organization, Walman (just like Mantha, Vrana, Bertuzzi, Zadina) gets himself removed from the organization. Yzerman has been trying to trade him since the end of the season with absolutely no takers. The part about other GMs being surprised that he was available? "Total bullshit" was the response to that.
I'm genuinely asking and not trying to attack you at all: Can you provide any type of information on who you talked to or any type of proof you really have this connection?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Is there some sort of craziness like "if the player we want in the draft is available to us, you send us your player X. If we don't get the opportunity we want in the draft, send us player Y"?

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Is there some sort of craziness like "if the player we want in the draft is available to us, you send us your player X. If we don't get the opportunity we want in the draft, send us player Y"?

I think that's technically legal. I think the one thing it can't be is "If you draft Iginla, you have to trade him to us" where any drafted player must be with the original team for six months or something like that. It could legally be something like "If Iginla is available at time of your 1st rd pick, we will swap 1st rd positions"

edit: I don't think that would be agreement though, only because it would've just been easier to have a verbal agreement in place at time of draft ("hey, if our guy is there - we'll send you 15, Walman and a 2nd for your 1st") - there wouldn't need to be this weird two-part, timing issue.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm genuinely asking and not trying to attack you at all: Can you provide any type of information on who you talked to or any type of proof you really have this connection?

If I want to maintain a friendship and be able to continue discussing matters regarding the Wings, no, other than to say it is a human being employed in the organization who has contact, in a capacity I am not specifying, with the staff and players as a function of the job.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Agreed. The only thing that might be going on is it is connected to the Rangers and the Goodrow claim.

Trouba cannot be traded right now FYI. His full NTC expires on July 1st. Maybe they are going to give us Trouba for free with good retention?
How is us giving them the roster and cap space relief by taking Trouba, who played himself onto the third pairing by the playoffs, them scratching our back?

Reactions: PenskyMaterial

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I would rather take my chances with the RHD UFA's over trade for Trouba.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I got some more insight yesterday and the bottom line is that Walman, down the stretch when the team was going through their two extended slumps, really burned some bridges in the locker room. That's why he's gone.

Keeping with what Yzerman told the entire organization when he was brought in, that everyone (from coaching staff down to arena staff) is expected to go above and beyond your job requirements, or you will not be part of the organization, Walman (just like Mantha, Vrana, Bertuzzi, Zadina) gets himself removed from the organization. Yzerman has been trying to trade him since the end of the season with absolutely no takers. The part about other GMs being surprised that he was available? "Total bullshit" was the response to that.

That's what I was saying earlier in this thread. Glad someone else got the same info as me.

But it's not entirely untrue about GM's not knowing. However what they didn't know about was the sweetener. But Steve wasn't sending him with a sweetener to anyone but a cellar dweller.

That's where the other GM's may have said wtf man I would have done that deal....

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Yeah, the more I think about this... the only thing that makes sense to be is some conditional return that has yet to happen and this was the down payment to reserve the cap space/asset.

Like if he netted Gibson, we have an agreement to send them Husso or something for a 4th; but if the Gibson thing doesn't happen, we can send them Mattaa for a 3rd (or whatever).

So the trade looks more like Walman + Husso + 2nd for a 4th - as a way to clear off cap space for free agency. But the actual cap dump to them as the 2nd part of this has yet to be determined based upon another transaction. Like we would be less interested in moving Husso if a Gibson deal doesn't go through, and would instead send Mattaa if we lock in a LD or something in FA. This becomes more of a payment for SJ to eat 8M plus in contracts for us so we can clear up logjams and playing time / cap space.

The reason it needed to happen now is to make sure that SJ reserves either the asset pre-draft and not to trade or move it (can't be an explicit player, think that was banned in the CBA) and/or to keep a cap space reserved for the Wings asset to be named. DET wants to keep their options open and didn't want to make the whole trade at once based upon scenario and needlessly call out a player until it knew for sure which way it was going.

This is a serious reach but it's the only thing that makes sense

Or it's none of that and Steve wanted to get rid of a locker room cancer that no one wanted. He needed Extra cap space to make a free agent splash/trade. He might already have the signing lined up considering players have a week to discuss their options with GM's before fa opens.

We have good players coming up like edvinsson. And our most glaring needs are center and goalie

Reactions: sepster

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Or it's none of that and Steve wanted to get rid of a locker room cancer that no one wanted. He needed Extra cap space to make a free agent splash/trade. He might already have the signing lined up considering players have a week to discuss their options with GM's before fa opens.

We have good players coming up like edvinsson. And our most glaring needs are center and goalie
But still why not waive or trade him for an actual asset then?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

Sorry, my post was more a continuation of my earlier post where I did kind of address the 'he's a bad person', 'we need cap space' and 'Yzerman is stupid'. Even if one of those other one were in play... it doesn't explain the urgency and the way that he did it. It's really the timing of this move that makes it incredibly odd.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
How is us giving them the roster and cap space relief by taking Trouba, who played himself onto the third pairing by the playoffs, them scratching our back?
I agree at 8.5M we are doing the favor.

If they retain 50%. Trouba at 4.25M for 2 years isnt bad.

It would be Walman + 2nd for Trouba (similar caphits)
I could see where Steve says Trouba is a significant upgrade over Walman.

Reactions: deca guard

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What's strange to me is none of his DRWs teammates posted 'best wishes' send-off notes on their Social Media. Don't players usually post a heartwarming massage online about their friend / former teammate moving on to a new team?

#crickets.

Maybe it's true Yzerman misjudged Walman's value and could have given up a 3rd rounder instead of a 2nd to rid him...

There's so many possible scenarios here, who knows. Maybe Yzerman told Grier that he's got something cooking with Nashville, and he'll give him whatever pick addon Trots gives him for Gibson, thinking Nash was only going to give up a 7th for Gibson... but then Trots gave up a 2nd all willie-nillie.

I think people forget these 32 GMs are colleagues and can't just be dicks to each other. They actually need to work together. Maybe Grier come out better this time, but that opens up a bridge to help Yzerman get a 3-way deal done from an Eastern team in the near future. OTT or Sabres may not deal with Yzerman directly, but Grier may be able to help work something out for a 3-way trade. [speculating]

I don't hold much value to this 2nd rounder when we still have ours.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
What's strange to me is none of his DRWs teammates posted 'best wishes' send-off notes on their Social Media. Don't players usually post a heartwarming massage online about their friend / former teammate moving on to a new team?

#crickets.
I'm going to combine this idea with a thought from Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts today that he thought it was "interesting" that Yzerman didn't come out to make comments on the Walman trade.

But...no, I don't find the absence of those things odd. Players changing teams is an every day occurrence, and there is a LOT of it this time of year. I think teammates making posts or GM's coming out to make statements would be weird. In my (very) little bit of research I don't see Jonathan Huberdeau or Mackenzie Weegar mourning the loss of Mangiapane. I don't see Travis Konecny posting a tribute to Sam Atkinson. I don't see Danny Briere or Craig Conroy hosting press conferences to justify individual moves. All of those things would be weird to me, not the absence of those things.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Regardless of Walman's return, do folks here think Montour at $6 million is a 2x improvement over Walman at 3.4? Montour just turned 30 in April, so he might be looking at somewhere between 4 to 6 years.

Was Montour healthy scratched last season?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Regardless of Walman's return, do folks here think Montour at $6 million is a 2x improvement over Walman at 3.4? Montour just turned 30 in April, so he might be looking at somewhere between 4 to 6 years.

Was Montour healthy scratched last season?

He is not anyhow comparable to Walman.

Montour is more of a right-handed Gostisbehere.

Montour is 30-years old everybody loves because the grass is greener.
Gostisbehre is 31-year old everybody hates, because he was here for 1 year.

Take it as you will.

Ps.

Just a reality check.
- Montour, 106 points at last 2 seasons
- Gostisbehere, 97 points at last 2 seasons.
- Walman, 39 points at last 2 seasons.

Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad