Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I had already used fatigue. The writer in me made me choose another adjective. If anguish causes you any errr... fatigue, then I'll edit it out and replace it with a more appropriate word or just leave a blank.

What I'm saying is, who cares what the masses say? They are kneejerk and often wrong. And measured conversation is difficult to achieve in that environment.

I guess you could say I'm weary. Let's go with that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yzerman didn't get proper value for Walman TODAY. There's no world in which Walman sucks in the future and look back and say, "Wow, Walman really does suck. Yzerman was right. Good job not tricking other teams into not paying too much for him"

Walman had a really rough year to the point he was more valuable in the press box than on the ice. He did suck last year. Other NHL GMs have access to that tape. Yzerman moved over $3 million in salary this year and next. That's not nothing.

It sucks it took pick #53 to do it when we had such hopes for Walman's development, but the dude played like a cap dump on his way to the last place team and got cap dumped to the last place team.

We all wish it was better value, and it's admittedly surprising, but it's not exactly the biggest head scratcher when you look at Walman's season with the eye-test or advanced stats.

Last year, Walman posted career lows in the possession categories with a Corsi For Percentage of 45.3, paired with a Relative Corsi For Percentage of -1.7 during even-strength play. He also produced an xGF (expected goals for) of 35.5 to go along with an xGA (expected goals against) of 51.0 during even-strength play for a career-worst -15.4 this past season. In comparison, the spread was 7.3 two seasons ago.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Last year, Walman posted career lows in the possession categories with a Corsi For Percentage of 45.3, paired with a Relative Corsi For Percentage of -1.7 during even-strength play. He also produced an xGF (expected goals for) of 35.5 to go along with an xGA (expected goals against) of 51.0 during even-strength play for a career-worst -15.4 this past season. In comparison, the spread was 7.3 two seasons ago.
Aren't those all team stats? xGF would be more a symptom of the lower lines being dreadful and not getting or attempting shots while giving up a lot of both. And didn't he play above the expected in most categories? I don't think those illustrate the point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Aren't those all team stats? xGF would be more a symptom of the lower lines being dreadful and not getting or attempting shots while giving up a lot of both. And didn't he play above the expected in most categories? I don't think those illustrate the point.

What I have learned, expected goals is maybe most horrible stat to analyze NHL defencemen.

It will work with forwards, but with defencemen, you should go with real goals like GF%, as a starting point.

Great defensive defencemen like Esa Lindell are preventing real goals, not anything expected shit.

Also, Lindell does not create anything expected, because he is stay-at-home-type, and that does not make him a bad defenceman.

It's so flawed stat that all of jakewalmans in the world are statistical flukes and traded for free, then the time to count their real value comes.

If you want to give some stats to analyze a NHL defenceman, please give me:
- GA/60
- DZone exits/60
- Controlled DZone exits%
- HDCA/60
- Quality of competition

Then we are discussing.

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
I can admit that the Walman trade may be a bad trade while also being willing to be patient and see what else develops.

BUT SCREW THAT FIRE YZERMAN HIRE DON CHERRY
Now you're talking. Then Brady Cleveland can be called up to play with Mo on the first pairing this year, as he deserves.

Reactions: jaster

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Even if Walman had zero value, which I find hard to believe, how do you not waive him first? It's not like if he passed through waivers it was gonna cost you a 1st to move the contract. Walmans contract isn't even that bad. And he's still useful to boot.

If this was Holl + 2nd for nothing it would make so much more sense. I mean we even got something tangible for Vrana and his issues were well known.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No it shouldn’t.

At the end of the day, it was Andrew Gibson and Jake Walmart for Kiiskinen.

It’s a complete nothing burger of a transaction.

Actually it was Andrew Gibson and Jake Walmart for Kiiskinen + $3.4 million in free cap space.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a #2 dman for say... $6 million that not only lifts Seider up, but will never need to be healthy scratch'd in big games?

Wings started the morning with 8 draft picks to use at tomorrow's draft. They ended the day with with an open roster spot for the kids, an extra $3.4 million... and still has those same 8 draft picks to use tomorrow!

That free 2nd rounder that Yzerman used was nothing more than the next Tyler Parsons or Graham Knott.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
As things stand right now, I wish we still had Walman, Andrew Gibson, and 3.4 less in cap space. If all this nonsense was needed to get John Gibson, I will lose a lot of faith in Yzerman, and it kills me to say that.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I’ll add this, I’m happy with how aggressive Yzerman has been in Detroit. Holland was so passive. Yzerman churns through players who do not fit into what he is building. He brought Walman in, gave it a shot, and has now moved on to open up cap space to pursue other players. Yeah, he deserves criticism for the contract he gave Walman, but he never stops looking for ways to improve the team.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I can admit that the Walman trade may be a bad trade while also being willing to be patient and see what else develops.

BUT SCREW THAT FIRE YZERMAN HIRE DON CHERRY
1719531001500.png

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I’m still so baffled, probably even more so. Lead the team in scoring for a defenseman by far, was well liked, had positive trade value, probably more than most of our defensive roster…..yet we trade him and a second away for nothing? I just don’t get it.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The Gibson and Walman deals are linked and the return, ignoring FC, at this point is Kiiskinen and $3.4M in Cap space each of the next two years. The timing of it suggests there's a plan or at least intent to spend that extra available money soon, when there are a lot of useful things to spend it on.

This whole thing sounds sort of like a guy paying someone $200 to tow away the barely working piece of junk in his driveway, rather than keep it around selling off the parts or hoping some idiot will show up and offer him $500 for it, because he wants the driveway space for a car he's close to buying that actually works. He doesn't really need to pay someone to remove the piece of junk, he could park it on the street or even in the backyard for a while. He'd probably get something for it eventually, even if just for the tires that are in good shape. But he's gonna get rid of it at some point anyway so why f#$k around?

Reactions: OccidentalOctopus

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Whatever. You’re all right. I don’t care. Jake Walman is god incarnate and he and Jonatan Berggren would lead this team to a cup if we just let them.

Fire yzerman. Hire Jake Walman to be first gm-player

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If it frees up enough cash to sign Patrick Kane I’m good

I am reverse of this. If it was made to keep any of Ghost, Perron or Kane I will hate it. Kane won't be here when we are good again, so it makes no sense to bring him back to me. Ghost will want too much money and term and needs way too much sheltering for the money he will get and I simply don't want Perron and his dumb penalties and lack of effort 5 on 5 back.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Even if Walman had zero value, which I find hard to believe, how do you not waive him first? It's not like if he passed through waivers it was gonna cost you a 1st to move the contract.
This is what I’m hung up on, just this one facet. Forget Walman’s value, his perception around the league, forget all of the other factors…. Why not attempt waivers first?

Initially I figured it was because there was some time sensitivity involved before he could be waived, or possibly even the far-fetched Holl theory following on the heels of the trade. But neither of those things have happened.

It’s more of a head-scratcher now than it was 48 hours ago.

I’m willing to believe, still, that there is a reasonable explanation, but it’s getting more difficult to fathom.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad