Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I feel like the thing that sticks out to me the most here is the incredibly weird timing of it all. What would've caused us to 'rush' shipping Walman out right now instead of waiting over the course of the offseason to try to move him, etc. I can only think of two reasons why moving him now ASAP makes any sense (and please correct anything that seems illogical here, as you all are, I'm just trying to figure out what's happening here)

Even if Walman were under physical or mental crisis, etc. I would imagine we would see all sorts of 'excused from team' 'undergoing major surgery' 'retiring' 'player assistance' whatever, and it wouldn't just...be a trade +, and what team would take a flyer on him in that condition? Even with Vrana and Kuzy, they waited until the team exhausted their recovery or there would be a number of protocol here. Also, if it were like a Karlsson situation, the media would've definitely figured out the off-the-ice issue that results in a player rift, etc. by now.

The timing here only really makes sense in these three scenarios for me:

1) The needed the additional 3.4M because 29.3M (+ whatever Offseason overage ~ 6Mish?) wasn't enough money to sign the big name free agents they wanted to add and HAD to have the money right now to finalize all the deals come July 1st (seems really unlikely)

point of clarification: the reason I don't think 1 is likely is because what does 3.4M get you that 36M doesn't already afford you? Doesn't feel like the 3.4M moves the needle here unless it's multiple big signings/trades,etc.

2) The Front Office was dumb and impatient (certainly possible)

OR

3) The 2nd Rd pick + Future Consideration actually DOES mean something in that there was an agreement for an additional transaction and this was the 'downpayment' on it because something else had to happen either at the draft or in free agency and Yzerman wanted to reserve either the cap space or asset from SJ before the Draft and FA.

That's it, those are the only reasons I can think of for this move to happen this rushed and this quickly. /baffled

Reactions: Star Platinum

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I watched Don Cherry damn near every Saturday night (and when he was on the Wednesday games) since the inception of coaches corner until I moved to Chicago in 92.

Jaster I respect your hockey opion, I wholeheartedly disagree with your assement of Grapes.

Don't like him? Fine, to each his own, but calling him "racist and horrible person" is way over the top.

Was he blustery? Yes that is the schtick.

Overzealous (and ultimatley incorrect ) in his crticism of Russian and European players when they first started coming to NA?

Sure, but then again it is hard to ignore that when these players started coming over, in terms of agrressiveness and physicality, international play was not up to the North American standard and style that Cherry loves and advocated for. Not sure how that qualifies as racist or horrible.

Don Cherry went on HNIC for more than 30 years using the term "you people" nearly every Saturday night refencing whoever was on the opposite side of what he was arguing. When he used the same term lamenting the fact that the new generations Canadians don't where the Poppy, it was deemed racist.

He is a proud, flag-waving Canadian willing to stick up for his coutnry men. That used to be considered patriotism. In today's world it is considered racist by the masses who aren't self aware enough to recgonize they are committing the very sins they claim to abhor when they label,stereotype, and judge groups of people they disgaree with.
1719511092856.gif

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
all the future considerations talk to try and make sense of this reminds me of that year the Wings needed a Goalie and signed Nabokov in the middle of the season out of the KHL

he would need to go through waivers to play in the NHL but had an NMC on his 1 year deal the Wings signed him to and I was convinced there was some kind of loophole trickery with that

nope, claimed by the Islanders and it was actually just what it appeared to be all along

....don't fool yourself into seeing 5D chess happening at the checkers table just because you have faith in a GM, they're probably just playing checkers

Last edited:
Reactions: RedHawkDown

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

For those holding out hope about 14 being a future consideration

what's with the draft pick swapping before the day of the draft this year? i'm blanking on exactly what it was but I remember there was another one like a few weeks ago too

so bizarre, i've never seen a trade like that before draft day and now that makes two this year, plus it makes no sense to trade up a few spots when you don't even know who's gonna actually be available yet

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
what's with the draft pick swapping before the day of the draft this year? i'm blanking on exactly what it was but I remember there was another one like a few weeks ago too

so bizarre, i've never seen a trade like that before draft day and now that makes two this year, plus it makes no sense to trade up a few spots when you don't even know who's gonna actually be available yet

Mike Grier has lost his mind as well as Yzerman! :popcorn:

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I feel like the thing that sticks out to me the most here is the incredibly weird timing of it all. What would've caused us to 'rush' shipping Walman out right now instead of waiting over the course of the offseason to try to move him, etc. I can only think of two reasons why moving him now ASAP makes any sense (and please correct anything that seems illogical here, as you all are, I'm just trying to figure out what's happening here)

Even if Walman were under physical or mental crisis, etc. I would imagine we would see all sorts of 'excused from team' 'undergoing major surgery' 'retiring' 'player assistance' whatever, and it wouldn't just...be a trade +, and what team would take a flyer on him in that condition? Even with Vrana and Kuzy, they waited until the team exhausted their recovery or there would be a number of protocol here. Also, if it were like a Karlsson situation, the media would've definitely figured out the off-the-ice issue that results in a player rift, etc. by now.

The timing here only really makes sense in these three scenarios for me:

1) The needed the additional 3.4M because 29.3M (+ whatever Offseason overage ~ 6Mish?) wasn't enough money to sign the big name free agents they wanted to add and HAD to have the money right now to finalize all the deals come July 1st (seems really unlikely)

point of clarification: the reason I don't think 1 is likely is because what does 3.4M get you that 36M doesn't already afford you? Doesn't feel like the 3.4M moves the needle here unless it's multiple big signings/trades,etc.

2) The Front Office was dumb and impatient (certainly possible)

OR

3) The 2nd Rd pick + Future Consideration actually DOES mean something in that there was an agreement for an additional transaction and this was the 'downpayment' on it because something else had to happen either at the draft or in free agency and Yzerman wanted to reserve either the cap space or asset from SJ before the Draft and FA.

That's it, those are the only reasons I can think of for this move to happen this rushed and this quickly. /baffled
My wild conspiracy guess is the 2nd is help with retention on Gibson's contract.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

For those holding out hope about 14 being a future consideration

Big brain theory.

Yzerman can’t trade with Buffalo because they are in division, San Jose trades up to 11 with the a second now that they got a bonus one. Yzerman turns around and cashes in on future considerations moving from 15 to 11 for a third.

Sharks get Walman and a third for playing undercover middle man to get us up to range to take Sennecke or Iginla while also clearing cap for the RFAs.

1719512886947.gif

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Quit the hyperbole

Calling out a trade for looking like ass doesn’t mean I’m saying the sky is falling

This is my issue with a lot of people defending Yzerman. I think he’s been fine. I don’t think he’s been great. I don’t think he’s been bad. This trade was dumb but people act like calling the trade bad means you are a troll. It’s ridiculous:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I watched Don Cherry damn near every Saturday night (and when he was on the Wednesday games) since the inception of coaches corner until I moved to Chicago in 92.

Jaster I respect your hockey opion, I wholeheartedly disagree with your assement of Grapes.

Don't like him? Fine, to each his own, but calling him "racist and horrible person" is way over the top.

Was he blustery? Yes that is the schtick.

Overzealous (and ultimatley incorrect ) in his criticism of Russian and European players when they first started coming to NA?

Sure, but then again it is hard to ignore that when these players started coming over, in terms of agrressiveness and physicality, international play was not up to the North American standard and style that Cherry loves and advocated for. Not sure how that qualifies as racist or horrible.

Don Cherry went on HNIC for more than 30 years using the term "you people" nearly every Saturday night refencing whoever was on the opposite side of what he was arguing. When he used the same term lamenting the fact that the new generations Canadians don't wear the Poppy, it was deemed racist.

He is a proud, flag-waving Canadian willing to stick up for his coutnry men. That used to be considered patriotism. In today's world it is considered racist by the masses who aren't self aware enough to recognize they are committing the very sins they claim to abhor when they label,stereotype, and judge groups of people they disgaree with.
I’m a non white guy living in Ontario and I wholeheartedly agree with this. He wasn’t racist. He just really likes Canadians who play the game with grit, and I never got the impression he was selective with which Canadians he liked. He was a massive fan of Kadri. Lol

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
This is my issue with a lot of people defending Yzerman. I think he’s been fine. I don’t think he’s been great. I don’t think he’s been bad. This trade was dumb but people act like calling the trade bad means you are a troll. It’s ridiculous:
Perfectly said. This trade is dog shit. He hasn’t been dog shit overall.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
This is ridiculously embarrassing if what the podcasters are saying is true. Like, fireable level offense embarrassing. .

We are not overreacting said as they overreact.

We just had a Mike Milbury name drop.

Yup, no overreacting here.

EDIT: The Milbury name drop literally made me spit out my sandwich.... and it was a really good BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich too.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Calling this trade bad, as it stands, is an understatement. It's horrible. It makes Yzerman look like an idiot and a laughing stock. Most of those "defending" Stevie are simply pointing out that there MUST be more to this, which seems a fairly reasonable take. I don't think it's trolling to discuss or express how bad and how stupid this trade looks and follow that with the shared caveat that it's an opinion that can quickly change when (or if) the other pieces fall into place.

Being told to wait for those other pieces to fall before discussing this is silly. The trade just happened and people are going to react to what knowledge they have. Most expect there's more to this, but until that is shared, I have no problem with people flaming this trade based on the optics on hand or the timing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad