Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
He said when Zadina was RFA, so that would be 2 summers ago.

Did Zadina have value then? Sure, but probably a 3rd round pick or 2nd at best. Just means we'd have more Clevelands.

It absolutely amazes me how Stevie likes to throw away second round picks, with or without Draper's help.
At best he had value as a 4th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Better return for Vancouver than we got and with a worse asset to boot.

Don't know is it anyhow better return. They had to retent Mikheyev's salary by 712k, which probably got that 4th round pick.

Canucks is so funny cap hell team every year. They are paying 2.1M for OEL until 2031.

And after next year, they have to pay for Boeser, then to Demko, then to Q.Hughes. After these raises their Cup window will close, until it really even opened.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
There's a few guys Yzerman drafted named Simon Edvinsson and another named Albert Johansson. I encourage you to use the google search function to learn more. At least one of those guys are better than Walman. Maybe both are better.
Oh yah I forgot about them. We definitely needed to get rid of Walkman then and to keep the amazing Maata, Petry and Holl. Btw who is going to play on the top pair with Seider this season?

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I grew up with Don Cherry on CBC, on HNIC every Saturday night. From a hockey perspective, I looked up to him throughout the 80s and 90s. I literally implemented things he said into my own game as a youth.

I ran a paper route in the neighborhood I grew up in, in suburban Detroit. One of the houses on my route was a nice older couple. They’d give me a container of homemade Christmas cookies every year during the holidays. The Hueters. The guy had every Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em VHS and would loan them to me whenever I asked. We’d talk hockey all the time. Loved watching those tapes, Grapes with his dog Blue by his side, wild 80s fisticuffs and bench-clearing brawls. Good memories. Later, in college, when I was already contracted to the military and going through officer training, 911 happened. And Cherry’s rhetoric and support of the troops struck a chord with me. This guy got it.

Except. He didn’t. Don Cherry was not a good person. He’s a xenophobe and a racist, and frankly a precursor to the rise in fascism we see globally today. F*** Don Cherry. He should have suffered consequence culture long before he actually did.

Posters pushing back on you are just stuck on nostalgia and have failed to evolve.
With this train of thought that would be saying something like everyone who drives a Volkswagen is a Nazi and supports white supremacy…

Some here really need to get over themselves.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Oh yah I forgot about them. We definitely needed to get rid of Walkman then and to keep the amazing Maata, Petry and Holl. Btw who is going to play on the top pair with Seider this season?

Considering it is only June 27th, nobody knows the questions you seek. Not even Stevie Y.

Fact is, SFY needed to make room. Walman was the first chip to fall. Maata and Petry might stick around since they are more consistent and cheaper options (aside from Holl, who I didn't get to see play enough).

I think at least one more dman is gone. Probably Holl. Perhaps he gets waived and picked up by SJS.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
There's not a place on the team because Yzerman is too good at drafting defenseman who pushed walman out . That's a good problem to have.
When they're actually on the team and performing, let us know. Gibson was a second round pick and top prospect, too.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
The acquisition can be a brilliant move and not workout. You realize this, right? We got him on the cheap, he had a good season and for whatever reason there is no longer a place for him on the team.

I'm so tired of the haters acting like every mistake is grounds to fire the GM. Yzerman is not perfect, no one is but his moves have improved the team. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Fact. Period. Without question or argument. Every single year the team has improved.
Actually, brilliant moves work out. Compher and Copp and Holl are brilliant moves as well and those of us not getting on our knees for Yzerman just don't realize it?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Considering it is only June 27th, nobody knows the questions you seek. Not even Stevie Y.

Fact is, SFY needed to make room. Walman was the first chip to fall. Maata and Petry might stick around since they are more consistent and cheaper options (aside from Holl, who I didn't get to see play enough).

I think at least one more dman is gone. Probably Holl. Perhaps he gets waived and picked up by SJS.
More consistent? WTF are you talking about? Walkman has been our 2nd best defensmen for 2 straight seasons. Seider and him have seen the hardest minutes on any pairing in the NHL and he has performed well.

Walkman never should have been traded, even if he is better suited to the 2nd pair and is more of a 4/5 defensmen on a good team. He is on a cheap deal and there is plenty of garbage Dmen to get rid of before him.

This was a bad trade plain and simple.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
More consistent? WTF are you talking about? Walkman has been our 2nd best defensmen for 2 straight seasons. Seider and him have seen the hardest minutes on any pairing in the NHL and he has performed well.

Walkman never should have been traded, even if he is better suited to the 2nd pair and is more of a 4/5 defensmen on a good team. He is on a cheap deal and there is plenty of garbage Dmen to get rid of before him.

He was scratched for 10-20 of the most important games this team has played in years.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Actually, brilliant moves work out. Compher and Copp and Holl are brilliant moves as well and those of us not getting on our knees for Yzerman just don't realize it?
Wouldn't put Compher in that list.

I'd agree about the first year, but this season he really struggled. I said that before the trade so this isn't some oh let's bash the player we moved thing.
Plus being the 2nd best defensemen on this team is hardly a medal, because I would give that to Chiarot (Defensively) this year.

It was a bad trade, that I agree with. I'm just not that bent out of shape over Walman or a 2nd round pick that we have had billions of, while still having our own.

Reactions: jkutswings

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
It will be hard for me not to call this a bad trade unless there is something else involved from SJ. We need someone picked up off waivers, multiple pick exchanges etc.

Walman did struggle last year but he and Seider were both put in a situation over their heads. Neither of those guys should be taking the hardest assignments in the NHL.

With that said I'm ok moving on from Walman if we make a bunch of other moves and really re-work the roster, but if our defense move is resigning Ghost then I will start to question where Stevie has this team headed.

This is the kind of move that I expect to proceed a major roster shakeup. As far as I'm concerned we now need a new starting goalie, top 4 dman, and a top 6 forward.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The other puzzling thing is that Yzerman apparently didn’t shop Walman around a ton. Based off some of my conversations and reading reports from others, there were multiple teams that would have been interested in actually trading something for Walman.

And if the Red Wings were truly desperate to be clear of Walman, they could have kept the second-round pick and simply waived him. The San Jose Sharks, I know for a fact, would have claimed him on waivers since they are first in the waiver order, like they did with Barclay Goodrow. In fact, I’ve heard San Jose was happily stunned when Yzerman simply didn’t ask for a return and offered a second-round pick sweetener.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He said when Zadina was RFA, so that would be 2 summers ago.

Did Zadina have value then? Sure, but probably a 3rd round pick or 2nd at best. Just means we'd have more Clevelands.

It absolutely amazes me how Stevie likes to throw away second round picks, with or without Draper's help.

If we had more Clevelands then Detroit would be unbeatable!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Hey everyone, why don’t we wait and see what Yzerman does with the cap space and roster space acquired from these moves first and then judge

The longer we wait the more I’m starting to think Yzerman clicked the submit trade button on accident before Grier put anything in the trade window.

Last edited:

Stevie Why

Jun 27, 2024

He was for the first season with us very good, but quite terrible in the last season. Plenty of users have shared statistics from different points of view, and basically all datapoints AND eye-test point to direction of, "he was close to worst main roster D-man last year", even if we take into account the tough minutes he played. Hell, even Dom's model over at Athletic said that Chiarot was at his worst better than Walman - and Dom's model really does not love OT Benny. Last year, he wasn't as good as we all remember him being. It's a shame, cause he seems like a good man and he did the Griddy which is very funny. But it is insane to fret over his value lost - he provided 20 points in total last year, and was scratched in crunch time - AND nobody noticed it! (exaggerating for argument)

But truth is, he was no more our 2nd best D-man. More like 6th or 7th. For next year's roster spots and potential candidates to fill them: Seider is top dog, Edvinsson is a lock as well, Gostisbehere (if signs) is the main PP guy, and Chiarot Petry and Määttä are all better defensively and therefore for even strength in general. Walman has his shot, but lacks in defense zone defense and offense, is not a particularly stellar playmaker, and lacks both PP and PK responsibilities. He is/was in a no-man's land in roster competition, considering we also got Johansson coming up potentially.

Therefore, he was on a pretty cheap deal, which also made it easier to maneuver him. Like most, I am surprised that his value was THIS low, lower than Wings fans perceived, but we just gotta admit that we were wrong. What most of y'all gotta admit too is that Petry Chiarot and Määttä all are better than you are ready to give 'em credit for.

(Also it's not Walkman for crying out loud)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Does anyone actually believe it went down that way? That Yzerman picked up the phone with one team and the first thing he said was take Walman and a 2nd and give me nothing in return?
Sean Shapiro isn't quite Elliotte Friedman, but he's not a nobody. Are you claiming he is flat-out lying without any evidence to support your claim?

Reactions: Twinger

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
What is so mad about this trade is that paying to cap dump last seasons 1st LD on a decent contract seems so inexplicable, especially for such a hard bargaining safe-tight GM that most observers are scratching their heads wondering what they've missed, what big move is coming, or all the possible meanings behind 'future considerations'.

Which both illustrates how bad this trade is in isolation, and what high regard most fans, insiders and NHL people hold Yzerman in.

Maybe its the ultimate 3D Chess move - because all trade partners are terrified of getting fleeced everytime they pick up and its Yzerman on the line, he's decided to do a WTF bad trade with an expendable piece (that he hand picked, promoted and renewed no less),so that other GMs feel hopeful again when he picks up the phone....:cool:

Did you miss the second half of this past season where Walman played himself, not only, off the 1st pairing, but out of the lineup completely?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad