Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I still think Steve is planning something big, there's something he said that caught my attention at his last presser, something along the lines of he is not happy with every move he has made. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it seemed like an uncharacteristic thing to say, and it signalled to me at least that patience is over and he thinks the time is now to strike big.

The only words I remember from his presser are "we don't anticipate doing that" about 100 times

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
So we all think the thing that justifies this trade is the clearest circumvention of a NTC of all time? And the league and/or players association is going to do nothing about it?

Bold move, cotton.
Sharks fan here. We literally just did this with Barclay Goodrow.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The thing is, let's forget that it's Yzerman and make it any generic GM (lest I be labeled an Yzerdrone). That would be an inexplicably incompetent move by any general manager in the NHL. We're not talking about overvaluing a player or making a bad trade. This is not bothering to reach out to anyone else before pulling the trigger on an unfavorable deal.

Which is why I find it hard to believe that's the case.

Nah man, there's nothing else to understand. The world is full of simple to understand and easy truths. It's very black and white and in the absence of more information we should jump to conclusions. Stop trying to muddy the conversation with good faith and nuance.

In short, Yzerman sucks and this is his magnum doofus.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I still argue that Petry alone is not a bad move, but makes the Holl signing look worse. Petry was up and down but overall decent and has one year left on his deal. He's a stopgap as the young defensive corps develops.

And I've already stated my feelings on people's Copp obsession.
And even then... At the time of the Holl signing the league had no idea that the Pens were going to acquire EK over a month later which initiated the original retention of Petry. If 2.3M Petry for basically nothing were there on July 1, Holl never signs here.

Reactions: SirloinUB

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The thing is, let's forget that it's Yzerman and make it any generic GM (lest I be labeled an Yzerdrone). That would be an inexplicably incompetent move by any general manager in the NHL. We're not talking about overvaluing a player or making a bad trade. This is not bothering to reach out to anyone else before pulling the trigger on an unfavorable deal.

Which is why I find it hard to believe that's the case. Even if a GM were insanely busy, he could easily have their assistant GM or VP of Hockey OPs reach out. It's a pretty small world still.

I find it more likely that either that it's being overstated GM's were surprised, or that there is a significant missing piece to this puzzle.

Unless Yzerman developed a substance abuse problem (insert weed joke here), I don't see how he fails to do something so basic unless it's for a reason.
That's why there's all these crazy theories about waivers, the 14th overall pick and somehow Barclay Goodrow of all people. This seems so incompetent that we want to assume that Stevie Y has some secret plan cooking that will make this make sense. If this trade is exactly what it appears to be at first glance, I'm going to have gone from "Yzerman is frustrating but the best GM in hockey" to "You have the rest of this off-season to redeem yourself" in one trade. We can't have a GM making terrible trades because he doesn't like a guy and couldn't take the time to make a second phone call.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
The fact that other GMs wer “surprised” is a very bad sign for Yzerman doing his due diligence. Thats embarrassing

When has Yzerman ever been short on due diligence? I want to see the rest of this play out before I just assume he's stopped doing the same type of job he's done his entire career. That's the part that doesn't pass the sniff test to me. Yzerman lives for due diligence.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Nah man, there's nothing else to understand. The world is full of simple to understand and easy truths. It's very black and white and in the absence of more information we should jump to conclusions. Stop trying to muddy the conversation with good faith and nuance.

In short, Yzerman sucks and this is his magnum doofus.

If you insist. Fire Yzerman and hire Don Cherry. Cherry would never have traded a big Ontario kid for a smaller Swedish (or Finnish, same thing) kid. He also would not have given away a big fast Ontario player for nothing. Lead the way Grapes.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Checked in because this makes no sense to me, I'm gonna go through this thread when I have time but through the first 4 pages I didn't see anyone defending Stevie at all.

It's like Mike Grier did a reverse Jedi mind trick on Stevie. Swindled by MFG? Seriously?!?!
Yzerman: I want a second rounder for Walman.
Grier: Exactly, I want a second rounder for Walman.
Yzerman: Sold!
Grier: HA! NO BACKSIES!
Yzerman: What do you mean, no back... Aww dammit.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Does anyone even know definitively if agreeing to claim a player off waivers is a valid consideration that can be packaged in a trade? On one hand it seems like a clear circumvention of NTCs, but on the other hand there is a difference between a NTC and NMC, and maybe this is a known risk of a NTC.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't really mind Ghost, but I have a problem paying him 5-6 mil for 4-5 years to play on the third pairing with easy deployment and be a PP guy. I'd rather just Mo take it again or Edvinsson.

Why is everybody especting we have to pay Ghost 5-6M for 4-5 years ???

Nobody except Yzerman gave him longer 1-year deal at last season.

His estimates at evolving-hockey are 5.1M for 1-2 years.

Quite sure Yzerman is gonna go the free agency again with short-term deals. Like 3 or less.

Maybe 4-5 years for a legit veteran guy like Matt Roy.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
San Jose can’t retain any more salary, they’re at the limit of 3 retained contracts.

In this hypothetical, it would be a 4th team. I get it is a far out there conspiracy. For instance it would be Sharks getting Goodrow, Walman, and a 2nd. The Wings receiving a retained Trouba, and the Rangers shedding a lot of cap space. As an example, lets say that Detroit would receive Trouba at 25% retained. The Rangers may be being given time to shop around for another team to retain so they do not have to carry the cap hit instead.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
So who is SY going to spend this new found $ on ? He seems to be infatuated with Ghost who I don't think is that good. I sense an overpayment coming.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I have a friend in the org who has informed me that Yzerman caught Walman engaged with a waste management company that wasn’t Priority. Yzerman was obviously aghast, as Priority had women its patch into the chest and hearts of our players as a reminder of who we are and the legacy we built. He included the second round pick to ensure that Walman landed in the Bay Area, where they throw their trash in the street.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still argue that Petry alone is not a bad move, but makes the Holl signing look worse. Petry was up and down but overall decent and has one year left on his deal. He's a stopgap as the young defensive corps develops.

And I've already stated my feelings on people's Copp obsession.

Petry signing does not make Holl sining worse.

Petry came later at August, they didn't know if he is available, when Holl was signed.

This is always annoying, when people try to re-write the history. You live on the damn moment, and everything that happens after does not affect in the past.

If Petry would have been on the team before signing Holl, then it's a different discussion, but you didn't know the future at July 1st.

Reactions: sepster

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
There goes the theory of other gms knowing there is something wrong behind the scenes with Walman.

We don't know who these GMs are, or how many. How do you know the comments aren't coming from GMs of teams that Walman included on his 10-team no trade list?

Is Yzerman supposed to kick tires and waste time reaching out to teams where Walman refuses to play?

That tweet gives us no factual information.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
We don't know who these GMs are, or how many. How do you know the comments aren't coming from GMs of teams that Walman included on his 10-team no trade list?

Is Yzerman supposed to kick tires and waste time reaching out to teams where Walman refuses to play?

That tweet gives us no factual information.
Of course not. This is all discussion. I do however lean towards it not being some theory that all the gms know something about Walman that nobody else does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad