GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Rounds 2-7. 11:30 a.m. ET

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
NHL draft continues. Who are the top players left on the board? Since there were quite a few surprises in round 1 I'm sure there must be lots of left overs from everyone's top32. Players to watch who, in my view, would be good picks early in the 2nd round include:

- Simon Zether
- Ryder Ritchie
- Aron Kiviharju
- Julius Miettinen
- Andrew Basha
- Tanner Howe
- Charlie Elick
- Harrison Brunicke
- Dominik Badinka
- Henry Mews

Definitely some intriguing prospects still available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giskard

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Wow a steep fall from Kiviharju who was in consideration for first overall not so long ago. Reminds me a bit of how Räty was dropped even though he wasn't hyped as much and is/was a forward. Also interesting that Jiricek didn't drop nearly as much, despite his bad draft season. But he has a lot less question marks than Kiviharju attached to him, I guess. While not really following this draft class much, I think some more Swedes are also among the best players left on the board. Guys like Freij and Petterson.

I wonder how many Swiss guys will be picked too. Roost is thinking 2-5 players. I am more leaning two at this point. Muggli and Ustinkov will be the only skaters that go of the board in my book. Maybe a team like the Devils takes a flyer on Kirsch or Lachat late in the draft. But its defenitely not guaranteed that one of them gets drafted.

Last edited:

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
NHL draft continues. Who are the top players left on the board? Since there were quite a few surprises in round 1 I'm sure there must be lots of left overs from everyone's top32. Players to watch who, in my view, would be good picks early in the 2nd round include:

- Simon Zether
- Ryder Ritchie
- Aron Kiviharju
- Julius Miettinen
- Andrew Basha
- Tanner Howe
- Charlie Elick
- Harrison Brunicke
- Dominik Badinka
- Henry Mews

Definitely some intriguing prospects still available.
Where is Chernyshov?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Ok, given that the consensus was a mid 1st rounder, I just thought you missed him.
Right or wrong, my list tends to be different from consensus. In my view, the most intriguing prospect left is Simon Zether who wasn't a consensus 1st round pick. I respect everybody's opinion though and I'm curious to hear them...which is why I phrased my initial post the way I did. In any way there were some surprises in the 1st round and therefore some very interesting prospects still available.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Right or wrong, my list tends to be different from consensus. In my view, the most intriguing prospect left is Simon Zether who wasn't a consensus 1st round pick. I respect everybody's opinion though and I'm curious to hear them...which is why I phrased my initial post the way I did. In any way there were some surprises in the 1st round and therefore some very interesting prospects still available.
I like and respect that, it’s not fun reading the same opinion over and over again.

Even though my knowledge is only second hand I also go off the board with some players by my gut.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wow a steep fall from Kiviharju who was in consideration for first overall not so long ago. Reminds me a bit of how Räty was dropped even though he wasn't hyped as much and is/was a forward. Also interesting that Jiricek didn't drop nearly as much, despite his bad draft season. But he has a lot less question marks than Kiviharju attached to him, I guess. While not really following this draft class much, I think some more Swedes are also among the best players left on the board. Guys like Freij and Petterson.

I wonder how many Swiss guys will be picked too. Roost is thinking 2-5 players. I am more leaning two at this point. Muggli and Ustinkov will be the only skaters that go of the board in my book. Maybe a team like the Devils takes a flyer on Kirsch or Lachat late in the draft. But its defenitely not guaranteed that one of them gets drafted.
If the 1st round taught us anything it's that righties are way more popular than left handed defensemen. Also, Ustinkov has been inconsistent in international tournaments. I liked his WJC20 but not his WJC18. Muggli had a couple of good games over both tournaments only. I expect both to be locks but since they're left handed defensemen and their international play hasn't quite matched their league performances I wouldn't be shocked to see them fall into the 3rd or 4th round. Conversely, I'm expecting Gian Meier to sneak into the later rounds. I don't know if it's gonna happen but I think he turned heads at the WJC18 where he outplayed Ustinkov and Muggli (and many other fellow other defense prospects for that matter) by far. He's the complete opposite case of Muggli/Ustinkov where his league play has never quite matched his talent. Has always been a prospect with a good standing but never quite lived up to expectations until that WJC18. He was exceptional in all areas of the game in that tournament though and I wonder if he's done just enough to sneak into the 6th or 7th round. He's a tall righty and is only gonna get better as he fills out.
Kirsch and Lachat I think should get drafted based on upside as well but you never know with goalies. Reber, Antenen and Dorthe are all coin flips. Could go both ways. A few others with off chances as well. I think more than two Swiss players are gonna get drafted this year but I don't know how many and when the first one is gonna go.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I have an eerie feeling Carolina is gonna take him. He just screams Carolina pick analytically.
I'm expecting SJ to grab him at 11:31am. Like...no time off the clock, run to the podium. Chomped at the bit all night to make this pick.

I'm just hoping the Canes don't take another small perimeter forward like Artamonov or trade down again for "more darts."

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
My players to watch list:

Badinka, Galvas, Kos, Jecho, Becher, Melovsky, Sikora, Fibigr, Milota, Matecha, Kavan, Perez,

Reactions: Dog

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Justin Poirier to Montreal in the 3rd? Not a fan of the depth in that draft, but he seems to be a decent bet given his special scoring abilities

Basha, Chernyshov should be picked early.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Kviraharju still on board is not something I would've even consisdered 2 years ago. Curious when he's gone.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Woohoo! Badinka early! And I like Carolina as a franchise. Win - win! Hopefully he doesn't get kicked like Jordan did.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00