W Nikita Kucherov (2011, 58th overall, Tampa Bay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I don't know if it's luck or in depth scouting but both Kucherov and Vasilevskiy fell due to the "Russian Factor" meanwhile Vasilevskiy wears a Lightning helmet in the KHL and was barred from wearing a Lightning t-shirt at the WJC while Kucherov tweets about how much he loves the US and even seems to recruit other Russian players (including Lightning prospect Nikita Nesterov) to come to North America.

With the meticulous planning Yzerman and Murray put into the draft I doubt it's luck but I wonder if teams just assume a player has the "Russian Factor" because there's no reason Kucherov should have been a late 2nd round pick.

sourdough

Sep 23, 2009
I don't know if it's luck or in depth scouting but both Kucherov and Vasilevskiy fell due to the "Russian Factor" meanwhile Vasilevskiy wears a Lightning helmet in the KHL and was barred from wearing a Lightning t-shirt at the WJC while Kucherov tweets about how much he loves the US and even seems to recruit other Russian players (including Lightning prospect Nikita Nesterov) to come to North America.

With the meticulous planning Yzerman and Murray put into the draft I doubt it's luck but I wonder if teams just assume a player has the "Russian Factor" because there's no reason Kucherov should have been a late 2nd round pick.

If he wasn't Russian and there was no "Russian factor" for him how high do you think he would go?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I don't think scouts consider the Russian factor (Correct me if I'm wrong) but Craig Button had him at 15-18 range so this seems right.

I saw him and believed would be better than grigorenko and not as good as yakopov at that time.

I had him top 10 but the russian factor and those guys made him worth less even though stats what he had done was impressive enough to me. Now I would put him in top 10 prospects in world just cause he has that lethal slap shot that doesnt seem to get stopped much and he has a knack like the other true snipers of disappearing and getting the space and time to make that magic work again and again and again.

So far he has done it everywhere hope he keeps developing cause he is going to wind up my favorite player unless is vasilevskis who I have never seen a goalie that big be that flexible and position wise sound he gets up and down like hasek to me and the guy is HUGE is just amazing what little I have seen so far. So really have high hopes on vasi. I have always loved the great goalies more than anyone so can see him becoming my guy over clutcherov yet wont be many others I like more lol.

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
I heard that teams believed Kucherov would never want to play in the NHL, so they weren't ready to risk a decent draft pick to get him. Also heard that sometime before the draft Kucherov told Yzerman that he wanted him to draft him and he would love to come to Tampa. Can't remember where I read this but yeah..

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I heard that teams believed Kucherov would never want to play in the NHL, so they weren't ready to risk a decent draft pick to get him. Also heard that sometime before the draft Kucherov told Yzerman that he wanted him to draft him and he would love to come to Tampa. Can't remember where I read this but yeah..

That was news from the draft by sport writers etc.. here in Tampa.

http://syracusecrunch.com/news/2013/11/1/MHOCKEY_1101130338.aspx

Kucherov named ccm/ahl rookie of the month.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Here is Al Murray, our Director of Amateur Scouting talking back at the 2011 draft about our first 3 picks being Russian players. (who are now all in the AHL)

[nhl]119700[/nhl]

So you have a Russian player with a contract with a Russian team, who wants to stay and develop in Russia for a few years. The Lightning looked they were very comfortable with that. Some teams, I guess not.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Here is Al Murray, our Director of Amateur Scouting talking back at the 2011 draft about our first 3 picks being Russian players. (who are now all in the AHL)

[nhl]119700[/nhl]

So you have a Russian player with a contract with a Russian team, who wants to stay and develop in Russia for a few years. The Lightning looked they were very comfortable with that. Some teams, I guess not.

Great find.

I wish all teams were this optimistic and open minded with respect to Russian players.

Though I do understand how teams have had issues in the past.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
How many other prospects who were fairly high picks/not super undersized came in as 20 year old rookies and put up dominating numbers in AHL yet never panned out to at least having a NHL career?

Obviously he won't produce at this pace for long but will be interesting how his career goes at the pro level. In the fantasy hockey world he was always regarded as a bit of a high risk/high reward player type. Now I'm not sure he's that high risk.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
http://theahl.com/monthly-award-winners-for-october-named-p188249

2nd video are highlights from Kucherov so far in Syracuse.
Watching the video, it seems like the Brown(ov), Namestnikov, Kucherov line is at least two steps ahead of the other 9 guys on the ice. Half the passes in the video are harder to play than actually scoring the goal afterwards. They are so accurate, fast and made without much space.

I just can't stop raving about Kucherov, Namestnikov and the rest of the 2011 class. This could turn out to be one of the best drafts a single team had (Especially considering our first draft pick being really late): 2 guys destroying the AHL, 1 already in the NHL, 1 destroying the NCAA (Wilcox) and 2 highly talented guys that play very very strong as well with Nesterov and Peca.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Little over halfway done is period 2 and Kucherov already has two. This kid is a beast. His shot is insane.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's dominating AHL just as if it was junior...ridiculous release.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
2 + 2 tonight giving him 19 points in 9 games. His play may force the Lighting's hand and give him a call up sooner than expected.

Hopefully they call up Namestnikov with him. Those 2 were separated at birth. Add Gusev to that line and wow what a line. Gusev and Kooch destroyed juniors together back in Russia. That's chemistry

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

[nhl]119700[/nhl]

On this video. In the beginning when he is talking about not limiting the scope of players that they go for; French-Canadians, North Americans and Quebec guys all fit the same category.

Nice interview though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad