W/C Zachary Benson - (2023, 13th, BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You literally couldn't be more wrong about this.

Wasn’t aware of this. Thanks for the correction.

Man Tanner Howe and Suzdalev get no respect. Both are very very good players.

Szturc is also a very good player for Kelowna.

The common misconception is for people to look at Benson and point to Savoie or the team around him. No, it’s actually Benson that carries his line. He’s the best player on the ICE and it’s not close. Savoie and Geekie have actually been pretty disappointing. I was hoping for big steps forward from them but it hasn’t happened. Savoie has been better recently but idk how much of that can be attributed to playing with Benson.

Benson has played primarily with Savoie and Nash/McClennon the last 20 or so games. Savoie’s game didn’t come around until that point

Is Winnipeg a whl contender ?

Between Yeger , cristall and benson how they ranked ?

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Wasn’t aware of this. Thanks for the correction.

Is Winnipeg a whl contender ?

Between Yeger , cristall and benson how they ranked ?

Winnipeg is 100% a contender for the crown. On top of their 1st round calibre talents, they also have top tier WHL overagers like Connor McClennon, Owen Pederson and Ben Zloty to compliment their outfit.

As for the three players mentioned, I'd go:

5. Cristall
7. Benson

16. Yager

I know many would prefer Benson over Cristall, and I 100% understand the thought process argument. Some have Yager ahead of both, such is the variance with this class between, approximately, pick #5 and pick #20.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Winnipeg is 100% a contender for the crown. On top of their 1st round calibre talents, they also have top tier WHL overagers like Connor McClennon, Owen Pederson and Ben Zloty to compliment their outfit.

As for the three players mentioned, I'd go:

5. Cristall
7. Benson

16. Yager

I know many would prefer Benson over Cristall, and I 100% understand the thought process argument. Some have Yager ahead of both, such is the variance with this class between, approximately, pick #5 and pick #20.

Every source out there has Yager very very high though. Most of them have Yager above the 2. Why so down on Yager ?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Every source out there has Yager very very high though. Most of them have Yager above the 2. Why so down on Yager ?

Yager has two things going for him: a terrific wrister from the slot and good forward motion the allows him to resemble MacKinnon light at times. Some say he's an excellent two way forward, I think he's only okay, and I don't think he's a future centreman at this point either.

I personally view this as a great class, and Yager strikes me as a complimentary player in the NHL. See some great tools but I wouldn't take him him in the top 10 pick at this stage. Anytime after that, I am open being convinced otherwise, it's pretty close between players in this range.

Alternatively, maybe I just caught too many of the wrong games.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yager has two things going for him: a terrific wrister from the slot and good forward motion the allows him to resemble MacKinnon light at times. Some say he's an excellent two way forward, I think he's only okay, and I don't think he's a future centreman at this point either.

I personally view this as a great class, and Yager strikes me as a complimentary player in the NHL. See some great tools but I wouldn't take him him in the top 10 pick at this stage. Anytime after that, I am open being convinced otherwise, it's pretty close between players in this range.

Alternatively, maybe I just caught too many of the wrong games.
I see the same things that you do.

Honestly reminds me of Brandon Saad.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I noticed that he shoulders less defensive responsibilities now, ice is strong and confident, they don't need him to clean the puck, Benson has several times waiting in the Nzone to find a breakaway chance.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Scored an absolute beauty. 2+1 with a little time left to go

Wow!

I can't find the post, but I'm pretty sure I read somebody on here the other day saying Benson's skating wasn't very good. I know it's only one play, but I hope they see this so they can reassess. One thing I always look for in smaller players who need to build muscle is their skating stride. If they have a good stride and are skinny, they're going to get faster when they add muscle. Sidney Crosby was a classic example of this. He was pretty skinny up until bantam, and then he started to fill out.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
That's actually something I've never seen before in hockey, holy smokes.

Welcome to the Vancouver Canucks, Benson.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
There’s so much to like about his game. His hockey IQ and skating stand out the most. He’s always scanning and super aware of his surroundings, makes quick reads and great decisions, with and without the puck. Definitely one of the top few players in the draft in terms of hockey IQ. Then skating, also elite, he’s super fluid, great top speed, great edges and elusiveness, just an excellent skater. After hands and skating, his compete level stands out a lot too, he’s quite the puck hound for a 159 lb kid! Hands are very good too, shot is decent.

The only big drawback in his game is size - 5’10” and 159 lbs. He’s very small, no doubt. However, he’s still so good at this size, and imagine how good he could be if he grows an inch and hits 180+ lbs. Marner was 5’11” 160 lbs at the draft combine, very similar size/build to Benson, and he’s now 6’ 181 lbs.

Personally I’d compare Benson to Jesper Bratt or Brayden Point. He has to be receiving strong consideration anywhere from 5 onwards, he’s got a pretty good chance to become a star player.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
There’s so much to like about his game. His hockey IQ and skating stand out the most. He’s always scanning and super aware of his surroundings, makes quick reads and great decisions, with and without the puck. Definitely one of the top few players in the draft in terms of hockey IQ. Then skating, also elite, he’s super fluid, great top speed, great edges and elusiveness, just an excellent skater. After hands and skating, his compete level stands out a lot too, he’s quite the puck hound for a 159 lb kid! Hands are very good too, shot is decent.

The only big drawback in his game is size - 5’10” and 159 lbs. He’s very small, no doubt. However, he’s still so good at this size, and imagine how good he could be if he grows an inch and hits 180+ lbs. Marner was 5’11” 160 lbs at the draft combine, very similar size/build to Benson, and he’s now 6’ 181 lbs.

Personally I’d compare Benson to Jesper Bratt or Brayden Point. He has to be receiving strong consideration anywhere from 5 onwards, he’s got a pretty good chance to become a star player.
People really shouldnt focus on how much/little player weighs. Not to mention height.

You question his size, he is taller than Bedard, sure he weighs 20+ pounds more, what Benson but its never the amount but where the muscles are.

If a 5 foot 7 - 160 pound player can be a star player in the NHL, someone like Benson is more than fine, about 172 pounds is more than fine for him.

there is no reason in the modern NHL to buff up.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think he looks exactly like Couture. They skate and stick handle the exact same, also both are reliable on both ends of the ice.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

Benson compared to Marner, eh? Coincidentally, this was posted a couple weeks ago. I think you guys might be on to something.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
He’s shown a lot of confidence the last few weeks…which makes sense when you are putting up 2-3 PPG. :laugh: Sometimes too much confidence at times which we didn’t really see earlier in the season but it’s nice to see him trying stuff.

Regarding the skating, as someone who’s watched almost every game (ICE STH and WHL fan), I wouldn’t say it’s elite. His edges and strength on his skates is very very good. Almost elite. But his straight line speed is just good to above average right now. Plenty of time to work on that. Nothing to be worried about though, the mechanics are there

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
I never thought his skating was bad as many said. His top speed really was average, but agility, edges were elite. But it's clear that his skating is improving, he already has a great top speed. If he continues to advance his overall skating this way, a push into the top 4 is possible. Especially if he puts on a few pounds.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad