W/C Zachary Benson - (2023, 13th, BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I have fully included him in the tier with Michkov/Carlsson/Fantilli. Benson is an elite prospect.
I am EXTREMELY tempted to rank Benson 3rd.

Is Benson a better prospect than Savoie at this point? Obviously the Ice are fantastic with both of them. But it seems like at this point Benson is even more of a driver.
I don’t think it’s close at all. I think Benson is way ahead.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Him and petey would be a nightmare to play against

Someone wrote a report on Benson that basically said he'd be the "best second-best player on his line", because he has everything you want but maybe not the dynamic ability to break open an NHL defense, that he'll carve open a D if he's playing with someone who can make things messy. Sounds like Petey.

I can see that kind of take on Benson becoming more controversial as Benson continues to show more dynamic ability.

What I would like to know is the knocks on Benson's skating that I read from time to time. What is it that people are looking at because I don't see skating deficiencies. I'm also a casual observer and not in tune with the mechanics of it to the degree some who comment are and I'm curious what it is that has that come up.

I used to think he had skating issues, stride length was too short and he lacked power, but everything looks much better lately.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Someone wrote a report on Benson that basically said he'd be the "best second-best player on his line", because he has everything you want but maybe not the dynamic ability to break open an NHL defense, that he'll carve open a D if he's playing with someone who can make things messy. Sounds like Petey.

I can see that kind of take on Benson becoming more controversial as Benson continues to show more dynamic ability.

I used to think he had skating issues, stride length was too short and he lacked power, but everything looks much better lately.

Yeah, watching a lot of Savoie, I don't see how Benson is not quick at getting around the ice so I was wondering. Last year, thought he just didn't have a lot of strength but this year, he's just all over the opposition with pace, pushing the play. That's why I don't get the the critique since maybe I'm not seeing what it is that is not great.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Tonight was the kind of game that, despite not lighting up the scoresheet, shows why Benson is so valuable. He’s the guy you want out there killing penalties, tiring out opposition with long shifts in their own zone, defending the 6v5 at the end of the game when you’re in Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals, never giving up on the puck. Incredibly rare coming from a winger to boot.
If Chicago drops to 4/5 and don’t want to roll the dice on Michkov (I would, fwiw) Benson is my guy.

He’s everything the current Hawks GM covets. Play making, good speed, compete level. The whole package.

1LW potential

Reactions: wetcoast

spfan

May 4, 2009
I am EXTREMELY tempted to rank Benson 3rd.

I don’t think it’s close at all. I think Benson is way ahead.
Same. I think he's 5th at WORST. I see a lot put Smith over him and I certainly like Smith, but Benson is closer to that Fantilli/Michkov/Carlsson tier. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up the 2nd best player from this draft class.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I wouldn’t think so but am just looking for some confirmation from hardcore Ice/WHL fans.

I mean Savoie is a SH demon at the WHL level also and his PPG was pretty close last year when he was Benson’s age to Benson this year. And he centers with Benson on his wing.

I don’t think it’s a crazy question. I’m truly interested in knowing if Benson is a level above given their scoring rates this year and Benson’s rise as a probably top 5 pick in what is perceived to be a stronger draft or if we are sleeping on Savoie/hyping the younger guy more just because he (Savoie) came back this year and isn’t scoring at quite the rate he did in his draft year.

Is Benson legit a different level as a play driver and all around player? Last years draft is considered weak and Savoie went 9th. This years is considered amazing and Benson is as high as 3rd and probably no worse than 5th or 6th on most lists. So I get that would mean his perceived value as a prospect is much higher. But is this factually the case from those who can compare them on the same team and same line in fact on a near nightly basis?
Benson and Savoie not playing together tonight.

Benson: 3g, 3a, +6
Savoie: Donuts

We know who drives the bus here. We've known it since last year's playoffs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Benson and Savoie not playing together tonight.

Benson: 3g, 3a, +6
Savoie: Donuts

We know who drives the bus here. We've known it since last year's playoffs.
Is anyone watching the game and who is the other team trying to matchup agasint?

I love Benson as a prsopect but some guys here are really stat watching and not scouting.

Teams aren't going to pass up on centers like Fantilli/Carlsson at the #3 spot.

Add in Michov at least in terms of pure skill and talent.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

Edit: please look at the ICE remaining schedule…one game against Moose Jaw and then a bunch of games against PA, Edmonton, Brandon, then some single ones against REG and MH. So…idk if he’s slowing down…

Last edited:

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Is anyone watching the game and who is the other team trying to matchup agasint?

I love Benson as a prsopect but some guys here are really stat watching and not scouting.

Other teams are very aware Benson is the ice best player

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
first 10 games : 12 points (1.20 ppg)
next 10 games : 17 points (1.70 ppg)
next 10 games : 18 points (1.80 ppg)
next 10 games : 19 points (1.90 ppg)
next 13 games : 26 points (2.00 ppg)
----------------------------------------
53 games, 33 goals, 59 assists, 92 points (1.74 ppg)

his +63, is by far the best +/- marker in the WHL

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Whoever misses on the "big" 4 won't feel so bad.

Reactions: JotAlan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Watch Benson. He’s more impressive than his ridiculous stat. Other than size and an elite shot, he’s literally everything you could possibly want in a player.

I’m not arguing for him over Fantilli or Carlsson necessarily, but I am saying that I would take Benson over anyone drafted in 2022 and it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up the second best player in his draft class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad