W/C Zachary Benson - (2023, 13th, BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Does anyone else see that production doesn't always translate to the NHL level?
Well, Glass had huge injury problems. Yamamoto hasn’t been awesome, but is a NHL’er. Petan is the only glaring fail. Terrific AHL player, but disappears when he plays in the NHL. Otherwise, from looking at that list, I’d say that draft year production looks to be a pretty good predictor of NHL production, unless you have unrealistic expectations.

I would say to beware of a high production CHL player that lacks size, strength, and speed(like Petan). It’s still early, but Rossi is another player who fits into that category, and who is struggling to make a dent in the NHL.

You could argue that Benson and Cristall have a lot of similarities to Rossi.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
The size and skating mechanics are pretty similar to a guy like Mikhail Granlund as far as Im concerned. Granlund was also killing it in his draft year.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
You don't have to look at production alone. You have to look at some factor. (age, production compared to his teammates, size, injuries)

Yamamoto (smurf) was one of the oldest player in the draft (Sept 29th)
Petan (smurf) had 120 pts but his team was loaded. (Leipsic 120 pts in less games and Rattie 110 pts (better PPG)
Glass was injured a lot from 2018 to 2021

So production is a pretty good indicator to success in the NHL if you consider some factor.

Reactions: ffsffs1 and Deas

ffsffs1

Feb 25, 2023

Prospects with good production have historically outperformed their draft position.

While production isn't very reliable at predicting how a prospect will fare in the NHL, traditional scouting hasn't been much better.

Reactions: pman25 and bossram

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Prospects with good production have historically outperformed their draft position.

While production isn't very reliable at predicting how a prospect will fare in the NHL, traditional scouting hasn't been much better.

who would be the top 10 prospects for NHLe this year?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Someone once said in there D-1 they see only the good, in there D they see only the bad. wonder if it's a situation that scoring forwards usually pop earlier so they get spotted sooner

Reactions: Chainshot

ffsffs1

Feb 25, 2023
who would be the top 10 prospects for NHLe this year?
Not entirely sure (I don't have the data). However, the top three would definitely be Bedard, Michkov, and Fantilli. I would guess Carlsson would slot in at 4, followed by Benson, Cristall, Smith, and Perreault in the 5-8 slots.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

That's assuming that points are everything and they aren't.

As to the graph sure in general but the players listed weren't locks for the HHOF or anything either.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's assuming that points are everything and they aren't.

As to the graph sure in general but the players listed weren't locks for the HHOF or anything either.
I truly don’t understand why you’re obsessed with Benson’s points, when his points are like the third most impressive thing about his game.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I truly don’t understand why you’re obsessed with Benson’s points, when his points are like the third most impressive thing about his game.
I'm actually not obsessed with Benson's production my interest was in response to other players production and for the record I think Benson will probably eclipse at least half of the guys listed in the original quote I was responding to.

Scouting IMO is a better metric than some chart showing PPG production of various junior players across time.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Savoie posted 1.38 ppg in his draft year and Benson is up to 1.7

Benson has already scored 3 more points in 10 less games than Savoie did.
So at this rate it would be around 20 points difference
To be fair Benson is doing a lot of his scoring with Savoie this year. Together they’re both in the top 5 league scoring this year, even though it’s Savoie’s D+1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad