W/C Zachary Benson - (2023, 13th, BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I didn't realize that according to the WHL page he only took 19 face offs all year. Surprised so many people still have him as a center considering that and his size.

These things are weird - Filip Forsberg is still pretty much universally listed as a C and most people call him a C despite taking 64 faceoffs in 11 NHL seasons.

His edges are a strength for sure, and his motor is A+, its just his top speed thats lacking, more around average.

Pretty much this. Skating criticisms are weird - he’s an excellent skater who is really only lacking elite breakaway speed. And who knows - maybe that comes in a year or two with more strength because the mechanics are fine.

Reactions: Realgud and Mrb1p

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Pronman thinks, that according to scouts that he's talking to.. that Benson is looking more like a 8-12 pick.

In this draft - that's not out of line. If I want to nitpick - I say he goes 6-9 because I think there are 5 guys clearly ahead of him - and if Michkov falls maybe he even goes #5.

I watched the Seattle/Winnipeg game tonight where Benson scored 2 goals and made a ton of good plays that didn't get cashed in on. Good shooter, good playmaker, plays with pace and intensity.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I like him more than Smith easy. More than Michkov because of drama. And it’s close with Carlsson. The WHL playoffs/Memorial Cup and the WC will decide a lot for me. But for me, he’s 3rd or 4th in this class. He’s going to be a star player. But he’s a small winger and will be severely underdrafted.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I like him more than Smith easy. More than Michkov because of drama. And it’s close with Carlsson. The WHL playoffs/Memorial Cup and the WC will decide a lot for me. But for me, he’s 3rd or 4th in this class. He’s going to be a star player. But he’s a small winger and will be severely underdrafted.
Small is the key word here and that might drop him down a tad but in this report, which I agree with, he could be a Mitch Marner type of guy and could go top 4 or 5 or drop down a bit a lot depends on NHL teams projections and wariness of smaller forwards.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
To be 100% honest I've never seen anyone call him a C before lol
def had me under the impression he was a c, but i almost never see nashville play. coulda sworn when he was a potential deadline move before re-signing, he was largely referred to as a c.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Benson was born May 12th, 2005, in Langley, British Columbia. He stands at 5’10” and 159 pounds and plays both center and wing for the Winnipeg Ice in the WHL. So far this season, Benson has scored 23 goals and 35 assists for 58 points in 35 games. That puts him on pace for 111 points in 67 games. Last year, he scored 25 goals and 38 assists for 63 points in 58 games.

With those two seasons, Benson has been ranked as high as fourth by Smaht Scouting. Other rankings place him fifth (DobberProspects), sixth (Recruit Scouting, SportsNet, FCHockey, EliteProspects), seventh (Bob McKenzie), ninth (The Hockey News, Craig Button) and 10th (McKeen’s Hockey). On this writer’s unreleased rankings, Benson ranks third.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s the type of player who can take quite a drop when you start looking at the draft order.

Obviously at the top Chicago and Anaheim won’t take him.

Could Columbus? Doubt it. They’ll take Smith or Carlsson. San Jose likely takes the other. San Jose is probably the team most likely to trade down as they need as many prospects as they can get. But if they stay at 4th, they likely take what’s left over between Smith and Carlsson.

You never know with the Habs, but neither they nor Detroit should be taking any small players. Not being in that division for the next ten years, in what should be a core player.. Maybe Detroit can get away with taking a player like ASP because the will have such a big D-core, but up front, neither should. 5th and 9th.

Arizona likely goes D at 6th with Reinbacher. Possibly at 12th? Although I think they take both the Top two D, if ASP falls to 12th.

Vancouver has two core players on the small side with Hronek and Quinn. So you have to think they want more size in a top pick. There goes 11th..

The Flyers? The Blues? The Caps?

Buffalo passes at 13th. Same reason as Montreal and Detroit.

Pittsburgh could take him but it’s the highest they’ve drafted in years. They need a C or another dman in their system.

Nashville possibly? Calgary possibly?

Yea, he can fall quite a bit.

If I had to guess, I’d say the Caps at 8th, Blues at 10th, or he drops to Nashville or Calgary. Doubt he gets passed those 2 but strange stuff happens to small, and Russian players during the 1st Round. I guess there’s an outside chance the Flyers at 7th but he doesn’t fit their history really. Maybe Briere will change that up though.

The other thing that comes into play is Michkov in all of this. A lot of these same teams won’t be taking him either.

It is going to be the most entertaining draft in awhile because the first two rounds will have lots of surprises that don’t fit all these mock drafts based on Central Scouting data. There’s 7-8 teams who don’t use scouting services at all now. There’s other teams who draft “types” of players after the Top 10 or so.

We are going to see some interesting picks. That’s for sure. Benson could end up a steal for someone in the middle of the round.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I don’t think he gets past Philly / Caps. Caps in particular love drafting from the WHL and could use literally any top end forward at any size at any position. The pool is thin.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He’s the type of player who can take quite a drop when you start looking at the draft order.

Could Columbus? Doubt it. They’ll take Smith or Carlsson. San Jose likely takes the other. San Jose is probably the team most likely to trade down as they need as many prospects as they can get. But if they stay at 4th, they likely take what’s left over between Smith and Carlsson.

You never know with the Habs, but neither they nor Detroit should be taking any small players. Not being in that division for the next ten years, in what should be a core player.. Maybe Detroit can get away with taking a player like ASP because the will have such a big D-core, but up front, neither should. 5th and 9th.

Arizona likely goes D at 6th with Reinbacher. Possibly at 12th? Although I think they take both the Top two D, if ASP falls to 12th.

Vancouver has two core players on the small side with Hronek and Quinn. So you have to think they want more size in a top pick. There goes 11th..

Pittsburgh could take him but it’s the highest they’ve drafted in years. They need a C or another dman in their system.

If I had to guess, I’d say the Caps at 8th, Blues at 10th, or he drops to Nashville or Calgary. Doubt he gets passed those 2 but strange stuff happens to small, and Russian players during the 1st Round. I guess there’s an outside chance the Flyers at 7th but he doesn’t fit their history really. Maybe Briere will change that up though.

The other thing that comes into play is Michkov in all of this. A lot of these same teams won’t be taking him either.

It is going to be the most entertaining draft in awhile because the first two rounds will have lots of surprises that don’t fit all these mock drafts based on Central Scouting data. There’s 7-8 teams who don’t use scouting services at all now. There’s other teams who draft “types” of players after the Top 10 or so.

We are going to see some interesting picks. That’s for sure. Benson could end up a steal for someone in the middle of the round.
Nashville and Calgary will not pass him up.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I think the Canucks would be doing back flips on the way to the podium if they had a chance to take Benson at 11. I don't think his size is enough of a deterrent to not take him. Benson is probably the 1 winger who that could potentially be available at 11 that the Canucks would take over a C/D.

Who know though, this draft will be crazy to watch from 5 onward, so many good players and so many ways it could play out.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think the Canucks would be doing back flips on the way to the podium if they had a chance to take Benson at 11. I don't think his size is enough of a deterrent to not take him. Benson is probably the 1 winger who that could potentially be available at 11 that the Canucks would take over a C/D.

Who know though, this draft will be crazy to watch from 5 onward, so many good players and so many ways it could play out.
Possibly. My point is around “Core Players” you’d expect from the 11th overall. Already having two small core players, and several others who are borderline small, or play small, you have to be aware of that.

As for core pieces right now.

Hronek and Quinn will be part of the team for the foreseeable future. That’s almost 50 minutes a night, they’ll have a smaller dman on the ice.

Up the middle, I think they’re fine for now, but would love to add a good sized 3C to help now, or to develop a kid who comes in at the beginning of the 2024 season, who they start out at 3C and ultimately develops into a Top 6 C.

On the wing, Kuzmenko isn’t big but sometimes plays bigger than he is, which helps.

Same can be said of Beauvillier, who fit in real well. Still under 6’ though.

Brock has to still be considered a core piece right now, and he’s not feared by anyone.

Garland is probably the hardest winger to play against because he will stick his nose in traffic. One reason I’ll never understand people who want him moved. He’s not a big man though.

Lekkerimaki and Podkolzin both aren’t small, but don’t scream “hard to play against” either. There’s still some hope for Podkolzin in this regard though.

I dunno. I just think they’d like more size and toughness on the wing. Guess it depends who’s still available but with what will still be on the board, I think they would pass him up. I don’t think anyone should be surprised if they took Barlow over Benson.

We shall see though.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
We say "go BPA" but then argue the semantics of a slight but ultra skilled and hard working hockey player. Every draft pick comes with risk. Do you build franchises by drafting low ceiling, safer players with your high picks? Or do you draft high upside players that play a pro level, skilled game and then work with them in the gym?

If Benson is still there by Detroit's pick I'll be screaming. I'd be surprised if Philly doesn't grab him though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Benson is interesting to me. Love everything about him except his size. 5'10 doesnt bother me in a prospect, but the 160 lbs does when a big draw for the guy is how competitive he is. Smaller guys who play like that are often an injury waiting to happen. I would be pretty happy of the wings pick him because he has a good track record but also has some extremely legit upside as well.

But if you draft him, and get another inch or two out of him, adds some weight.... you've hit the lottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad