W/C Zachary Benson - (2023, 13th, BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Point and Kucherov are both 71"". Why doesn't anyone ever point on Kucherov's height? Oh, because Point isn't actually a Small Player.

Point was 5'9.75 at the combine. Benson is listed at 5'10 now.

We'll see what Benson's official measurements are but players can grow post-draft you know.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Point and Kucherov are both 71"". Why doesn't anyone ever point on Kucherov's height? Oh, because Point isn't actually a Small Player.
Brayden Point was considered tiny in his draft year. Kucherov was slight.

There's also a 0% chance that their listed heights are accurate. Look at Point relative to any other player, he is short.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
People are crazy if they let this dude fall out of the top 10. Would be typical over thinking in drafting. Would just be like Caufield all over again.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I like him for Philly at 8. He can be their new Giroux. I think he size and the idea that he will be better off at wing potentially at the NHL level will see him drop out of the top 6-7. I think Leonard and Dvo will go before him along with the near consensus top 5 (assuming nothing crazy happen with Michkov). I know Konecny is small and the Flyers spent a pick on Brink a couple of years ago but that franchise needs a full re-boot and I just see Benson as a potentially franchise energizing prospect with the play style, special teams ability and offensive upside to be a guy who could eventually earn some call backs to Claude.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
People are crazy if they let this dude fall out of the top 10. Would be typical over thinking in drafting. Would just be like Caufield all over again.

Worse than Caufield, I think he has higher potential than Caufield (Not a slight on Cole) - I think he can be a Marner type of player. Not sure if his ceiling offensively is the same as Marner's, but his all around game reminds me a lot of him.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Obviously Rossi has had his issues with covid and he hasn’t been bad by any means but he has a lot of ryhmes with Benson. And given them NHL teams seem justified in letting him “slide” to pick 9, Im assuming similar toll happens to Benson.

Small players with average skating will always go lower than expected

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Obviously Rossi has had his issues with covid and he hasn’t been bad by any means but he has a lot of ryhmes with Benson. And given them NHL teams seem justified in letting him “slide” to pick 9, Im assuming similar toll happens to Benson.

Reason being, if you hit on their IQ to be that guy you're golden.

If you don't hit on that IQ, you wasted a pick.

Reactions: Nabrules

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
- I think he can be a Marner type of player. Not sure if his ceiling offensively is the same as Marner's, but his all around game reminds me a lot of him.
Same. Less offense but an even better motor. I see an all star winger with selke caliber defense and a major fan favorite because of the tireless work rate.

I think Benson will go 8th-11th. I’d take him 3rd. But I think I’m alone on that. I’m guessing Washington, Detroit, St Louis or Vancouver takes him.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
His skating is excellent.
Yep. One or two suggestions to the contrary earlier in this thread and the narrative gradually evolves into his skating somehow being a mark against him.

Benson has the best motor in the draft, truly elite mobility, and speed that I suspect will be at least “good” (as in 60th-80th percentile among wingers) at the NHL level. He’s such a complete player that I think he has the potential to be an elite NHL player despite his size and very likely not having “elite” speed at the NHL level.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I think Benson will go 8th-11th. I’d take him 3rd. But I think I’m alone on that. I’m guessing Washington, Detroit, St Louis or Vancouver takes him.
He would be a pretty good bet for Steve around Detroit's pick(9th). If Benson is still there around Detroit's pick Steve would have to think hard if he wants to pass Canadian player. They have space on that side. Axel Sandin Pellikka would be probably another consideration for them around that spot since they just traded Hronek.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If i hear another time that Bensons a poor skater... so annoying.

Hes a winger
I didn't realize that according to the WHL page he only took 19 face offs all year. Surprised so many people still have him as a center considering that and his size.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I didn't realize that according to the WHL page he only took 19 face offs all year. Surprised so many people still have him as a center considering that and his size.
I think the only thing holding Benson back from being a center is his size. He’s got the smarts, motor, skating, agility, willingness to play physical, and puck-carrying ability to do it. If the Ice didn’t already have Savoie and Geekie at center, I feel like they would have at least experimented with Benson at center.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yep. One or two suggestions to the contrary earlier in this thread and the narrative gradually evolves into his skating somehow being a mark against him.

Benson has the best motor in the draft, truly elite mobility, and speed that I suspect will be at least “good” (as in 60th-80th percentile among wingers) at the NHL level. He’s such a complete player that I think he has the potential to be an elite NHL player despite his size and very likely not having “elite” speed at the NHL level.

I like his skating overall, I love all the other parts of his skating, but I think the straight line speed might top out closer to 30th-50th percentile in the NHL. Basically average top speed. And there's so much rush hockey in the NHL these days so it does matter how he covers those long distances.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
If i hear another time that Bensons a poor skater... so annoying.

Hes a winger
Has people said that recently he is poor skater? I personally stated that he is just not elite skater what you usually need to be if you are smaller guy to be effective. He is okay skater, but as a smaller guy, you wish skating/edges would be his strength.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Has people said that recently he is poor skater? I personally stated that he is just not elite skater what you usually need to be if you are smaller guy to be effective. He is okay skater, but as a smaller guy, you wish skating/edges would be his strength.
His edges are a strength for sure, and his motor is A+, its just his top speed thats lacking, more around average.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
His edges are a strength for sure, and his motor is A+, it’s just his top speed thats lacking, more around average.
Agree with this. His edges, agility, lateral mobility, pivots and crossovers all appear a bit above average to me. In terms of the art of skating, he’s above average. In terms of speed though, he’s average. And at 5’9”, that will give teams some caution IMO. Should it? IDK, but I expect him to drop a bit.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
People constantly call Benson an “average” skater, which is ridiculous. Benson’s skating is excellent in every way except his top speed. I believe that his top speed with improve with increased lower body strength, kid’s a twig out there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
People constantly call Benson an “average” skater, which is ridiculous. Benson’s skating is excellent in every way except his top speed. I believe that his top speed with improve with increased lower body strength, kid’s a twig out there.

It seems it's the flashy separation speed/top gear that he falls down for some who want to see that and aren't looking at the guy who does so much well that isn't just a brick to the face obvious.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How many players like him do you see leading a team to a stanley cup.

Not many.

Small and average skating.

I remember Patrik Kane being small and not having noticeable top speed in his draft year (amazing edge control though) and he was the most talented player on the Hawks when they were winning cups. I watched him live in London that season and he was a very dynamic player but there were some who questioned picking a small winger like him 1OA.

I would tend to agree not many small wingers lead teams to cups but that is a high bar for players being draft 6th to 10th OA.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It seems it's the flashy separation speed/top gear that he falls down for some who want to see that and aren't looking at the guy who does so much well that isn't just a brick to the face obvious.
Yeah, it’s wild to see some evaluations of Benson. I’ve seen posts suggesting Benson is a purely offensive player and other such nonsense. Fact is that if Benson were 6’2”, I would take him 2nd overall and bet that he could make the move to center.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, it’s wild to see some evaluations of Benson. I’ve seen posts suggesting Benson is a purely offensive player and other such nonsense. Fact is that if Benson were 6’2”, I would take him 2nd overall and bet that he could make the move to center.

I have Benson at 6 and would happily take him there. *shrug*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad