W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
How'd he do in dev camp?

Is it fair to assume Buium, Parekh, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla will all be in the NHL sooner?

What's the expected timeline here?

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
How'd he do in dev camp?

Is it fair to assume Buium, Parekh, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla will all be in the NHL sooner?

He looked good, had some nice goals in our (3v3) scrimmage. Nice assist too. I wouldn’t say any of those other than maybe Lindstrom should be penciled into the NHL before him. They all have similar question marks before they make it the the NHL.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Will be curious to see how his season goes, Oshawa is likely losing a lot of talent around him this off-season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How'd he do in dev camp?

Sennecke still has to fill out, he's obviously a late bloomer so you're talking about probably one year, maybe two, before he joins the NHL. I think he has the hockey sense to adapt around his current dangle-everyone junior playstyle, but that will take time. He's unfortunately just slightly too young to play in the AHL in his D+2.

Buium could play in the NHL now but will take another year in college. He can still develop his shot and play more consistently the level of stifling D he displayed in the NCAA tourney.

Parekh is miles away, I'd guess two years and maybe even an AHL season after that. To me this isn't a super pessimistic view on the prospect, have a look at the three years that Bouchard needed to get his defense up to a not-brutally-awful level.

Demidov will be in the NHL in a year (if not next Spring). He's physically ready now but a year to level up from the MHL would be good for him.

Lindstrom is more complicated. He was truly dominant when he played last year but has missed a lot of development time with the injury. The assumption in Columbus is that he'll do another year in Medicine Hat. On the other hand he has a lot of power forward technique that would work in the NHL right now, and the club might want to manage his playing time and recovery from his injury more directly. You might want him playing a lighter schedule. He still isn't back to full strength.

Iginla is a late bloomer like Sennecke but has more of a pro play style. He's still somewhat smallish and hasn't even turned 18 yet so my sense is that they'll re-assess in a year. He's probably two years away.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
This is very much a projection pick - not in the sense that your projecting all draft eligibles - but in the sense that the 2nd half/end of his season really flashed alot more potential upside than what most had seen before.

I'm not saying that as a knock btw. I think Sennecke has alot of NHL skill/potential. Its just interesting to see teams make this bold a judgement.

My Canucks made a similar judgement taking Bo Horvat 9th overall off a very strong OHL playoffs (despite pedestrian stats overall), and that worked out well. So I do think it can work out for sure. It'll be interesting to follow Sennecke next season.

Reactions: SingDomestica

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
The thing with Sennecke is that he’s very early in his development curve. It’s been said here, but he’s not a mostly finished product like Demidov or Macklin. Going to take some time. Wouldn’t be surprised if he put up a 2 points per game season next year in the OHL and then made the Ducks the following year.

I’ll trust Anaheim scouts over the franchise that picked Reinbacher over Michkov.
This is an absolutely idiotic take. Celebrini and Demidov are far, far from finished products. Justify your pick without spewing garbage.

• Haha
Reactions: Demigod11
Oct 18, 2011
Not a big fan of those "flavor of the month" big riser just before the draft.

Recency biais is a drafting team worst enemy.

Sennecke's a project.

Him being picked at 3 is all about projections.. projections where he'll hit the upper end of his ceiling?

He was the player I habsolutely didn't wanted the Habs to pick at 5.

Even the spectacular ('cause yes he is spectacular) plays that he makes, that are supposed to make him so attractive, I don't see translating well to the NHL.

If he dipsy doodles the puck around NHL defensemen skates on a regular basis like he does in the OHL, chances are he's gonna have his head crushed...

Plus he's a good, not elite skater, particularly with the puck.
Rarely do you see him transporting the puck from his zone to the o zone.

He's a typical "inside the o zone" winger.

I don't see a play driver in him, I bet he'll become a good complementary winger.

IMHO, he was a too risky pick at 3, with better overall players still available.

P.S.: this is my opinion based on complete games I watched from him.

I don't pretend to "own the truth". If guys paid big money to do this job can make mistakes, so do I.

We're on this site to share our opinions, in a ffuny manner.

If you think otherwise as me, good!

I respect Martin Madden jr a lot, so there might be something that I'm missing. Cause he's one of the best at what he does.
HF when it comes to Demidov:🥰🥰🥰

HF when it comes to Sennecke:😡😡😡

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This is an absolutely idiotic take. Celebrini and Demidov are far, far from finished products. Justify your pick without spewing garbage.

Firstly, I Don’t think he’s a ducks fan, so I Don’t think he needs to justify the pick.

Secondly, it’s not an idiotic take…. Sennecke is a much more raw project prospect than Demidov/celebrini…. Who both can be in the nhl season next year. Demidov and celebrini both weigh 10-15 more than sennecke while being 3 inches shorter. Physically they are much closer to what they will be at their prime than sennecke who prob needs to add 25+ pounds to his frame at least

Your response was pretty idiotic and I imagine you took what he said wrong and decided to have a mini meltdown on someone’s opinion

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sennecke still has to fill out, he's obviously a late bloomer so you're talking about probably one year, maybe two, before he joins the NHL. I think he has the hockey sense to adapt around his current dangle-everyone junior playstyle, but that will take time. He's unfortunately just slightly too young to play in the AHL in his D+2.

Buium could play in the NHL now but will take another year in college. He can still develop his shot and play more consistently the level of stifling D he displayed in the NCAA tourney.

Parekh is miles away, I'd guess two years and maybe even an AHL season after that. To me this isn't a super pessimistic view on the prospect, have a look at the three years that Bouchard needed to get his defense up to a not-brutally-awful level.

Demidov will be in the NHL in a year (if not next Spring). He's physically ready now but a year to level up from the MHL would be good for him.

Lindstrom is more complicated. He was truly dominant when he played last year but has missed a lot of development time with the injury. The assumption in Columbus is that he'll do another year in Medicine Hat. On the other hand he has a lot of power forward technique that would work in the NHL right now, and the club might want to manage his playing time and recovery from his injury more directly. You might want him playing a lighter schedule. He still isn't back to full strength.

Iginla is a late bloomer like Sennecke but has more of a pro play style. He's still somewhat smallish and hasn't even turned 18 yet so my sense is that they'll re-assess in a year. He's probably two years away.
I hope not, for his sake. This guy but needs more time than any of the top prospects. I would hope that he gets two full years in junior, then at least half a season in the AHL, if not a full one.

How'd he do in dev camp?

Yes, with the possible exception of Parekh.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I hope not, for his sake. This guy but needs more time than any of the top prospects. I would hope that he gets two full years in junior, then at least half a season in the AHL, if not a full one.
He’s prob 1 of those players that will be too good for juniors next year , but prob not physically ready for nhl…. Would prob be best suited for AHL in his D+2…. But not eligible .

So
D+ 1 = OHL
D+2 = AHL
D+3 = NHL

Problem is his bday makes it so it’s nhl or ohl in year 2… which will prob make it awkward…. I wonder if pv does the carlsson route then

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He’s prob 1 of those players that will be too good for juniors next year , but prob not physically ready for nhl…. Would prob be best suited for AHL in his D+2…. But not eligible .

So
D+ 1 = OHL
D+2 = AHL
D+3 = NHL

Problem is his bday makes it so it’s nhl or ohl in year 2… which will prob make it awkward…. I wonder if pv does the carlsson route then
He wasn't even close to being too good for junior this year. Next year...we'll see. I don't think that two more years of junior will hurt him. It's hard to predict these things. One year can make a massive difference in young guys. I just think it is silly to stick a guy like him into the league prematurely. They had to have known that he is far from a finished item when they picked him, right?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How'd he do in dev camp?

He looked good in dev camp, but def needs to put some weight on his bones.

I think he’ll prob get a 9 game look in his D+ 2 season or maybe put on the Leo carlsson program

He wasn't even close to being too good for junior this year. Next year...we'll see. I don't think that two more years of junior will hurt him. It's hard to predict these things. One year can make a massive difference in young guys. I just think it is silly to stick a guy like him into the league prematurely. They had to have known that he is far from a finished item when they picked him, right?
Well that’s why I said AHL would be best spot for him after this season.

We’ll have to see how he does in OHL this year, but if he continues how he was playing in playoffs I think they may look for an alternative route than 2 years of OHL time.

A lot depends on how he looks at world juniors /OHL this upcoming season

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

So
D+ 1 = OHL
D+2 = AHL
D+3 = NHL

He's in the same awkward situation as Quentin Musty.

Big wingers, who had good/not spectacular draft years offensively. Musty was just 2 points/game in his D+1, you're probably hoping the same for Sennecke. Sennecke is a much better skater hence why he went so much higher, but either way you're hoping for that same improvement. Sharks fans are worried Musty will be too good for the OHL if he goes back, but at the same time he's probably not ready for the NHL, especially on our team.

It's a good problem to have, having a prospect who has shown he's too good for the league he's in, but it creates a difficult situation.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
Firstly, I Don’t think he’s a ducks fan, so I Don’t think he needs to justify the pick.

Secondly, it’s not an idiotic take…. Sennecke is a much more raw project prospect than Demidov/celebrini…. Who both can be in the nhl season next year. Demidov and celebrini both weigh 10-15 more than sennecke while being 3 inches shorter. Physically they are much closer to what they will be at their prime than sennecke who prob needs to add 25+ pounds to his frame at least

Your response was pretty idiotic and I imagine you took what he said wrong and decided to have a mini meltdown on someone’s opinion
Are you certain the "late bloomer who needs to fill out" thing isn't just mostly a media hopium trope though?

It seems as if every prospect that excuse has been used on end up being disappointing anyway. What do you think truly makes Sennecke more qualified to be called a late bloomer than say Celebrini without any hindsight?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He's in the same awkward situation as Quentin Musty.

Big wingers, who had good/not spectacular draft years offensively. Musty was just 2 points/game in his D+1, you're probably hoping the same for Sennecke. Sennecke is a much better skater hence why he went so much higher, but either way you're hoping for that same improvement. Sharks fans are worried Musty will be too good for the OHL if he goes back, but at the same time he's probably not ready for the NHL, especially on our team.

It's a good problem to have, having a prospect who has shown he's too good for the league he's in, but it creates a difficult situation.

Musty was basically the guy that came to my mind….. situation wise…. He’s basically in same boat this year for sharks…. Cept musty I think is physically more ready that sennecke at this point

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Are you certain the "late bloomer who needs to fill out" thing isn't just mostly a media hopium trope though?

It seems as if every prospect that excuse has been used on end up being disappointing anyway. What do you think truly makes Sennecke more qualified to be called a late bloomer than say Celebrini without any hindsight?
I’m not certain on anything. But you can ask the same question how are people certain Demidov will translate to nhl?

Just for the record when I say late bloomer I’m specifically talking about his growth spurt not so much his skills/production, and filling out that frame.

Maybe sennecke doesn’t gain that weight, but he def has more room to put on weight and muscle than celebrini/Demidov

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
This is very much a projection pick - not in the sense that your projecting all draft eligibles - but in the sense that the 2nd half/end of his season really flashed alot more potential upside than what most had seen before.

Sure, but then again you're talking about over 40 games plus playoffs. That's not a brief flash .... heck it's more than we got to see of Lindstrom *in total* last year. He put up a higher PPG in that span than Lindstrom despite not being as physically developed, so I can definitely see the reasoning. After all, if you're going to say "yup, sold on Lindstrom" after 32 games, there's no reason to say, "nope, not enough games" for Sennecke after he hits that sort of level for 50+, right?

Sennecke could be exactly the kind of player for whom such a program would make a lot of sense in a d+2 year. Assuming a great d+1 year in juniors of course, if he plateaus or something then just let him go another year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sure, but then again you're talking about over 40 games plus playoffs. That's not a brief flash .... heck it's more than we got to see of Lindstrom *in total* last year. He put up a higher PPG in that span than Lindstrom despite not being as physically developed, so I can definitely see the reasoning. After all, if you're going to say "yup, sold on Lindstrom" after 32 games, there's no reason to say, "nope, not enough games" for Sennecke after he hits that sort of level for 50+, right?

Sennecke could be exactly the kind of player for whom such a program would make a lot of sense in a d+2 year. Assuming a great d+1 year in juniors of course, if he plateaus or something then just let him go another year.

Pretty much a lot depends on how he does this season at juniors/worlds… but if he continues where he left off…. Juniors would be a waste in his d+2, like musty right now

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

Everything you just said has absolutely no relevance towards Demidov and Celebrini being “finished products”, as that other poster said. That is utterly idiotic. No 18-year-olds are finished developing.

You just wrote an essay about Sennecke having a lot of upside and being raw, which is true. But it has nothing to do with the outlandish claim the other guy made.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Everything you just said has absolutely no relevance towards Demidov and Celebrini being “finished products”, as that other poster said. That is utterly idiotic. No 18-year-olds are finished developing.

You just wrote an essay about Sennecke having a lot of upside and being raw, which is true. But it has nothing to do with the outlandish claim the other guy made.
When they say "finished developing" they probably mean physically. Those two are closer to their full forms than sennecke; it isn't that controversial and why sennecke is a riskier pick.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad