W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Its fairly shortterm though honestly. After a few years it feels like fans forget where most players are drafted, they just have crazy expectations early
No not really Olli Juolevi at 5 right before some guy oh ya one of the main peices of the current SC winner Matthew Tkachuk eh.

I hope he pans out for the Ducks but considering who they left on the table it could be a yikes moment of drafting.

Reactions: Laus723
Oct 18, 2011
I hope he's good but the consensus draft rankings had him in the teens so to me the issue is not maximizing the value of the pick. I've seen the argument they might be afraid to not get him

Well Madden said this week 8 guys were discussed for the pick, today Verbeek said it was a strong discussion for him and another player, it's not the end of the world if you trade down, get assets and have to pick someone else. They are putting alot of weight into a couple months and a player seemingly years from being even close to NHL ready...too much risk when picking here

That being said I hope he's great because if he pans out Anaheim would have a potentially outstanding forward group with incredible size

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm getting Kotkaniemi/Hayton vibes with this pick. Late risers who shoot up the draft board often don't pan out or meet expectations. Always should draft the BPA not try to look like the smartest guy in the room.
Arizona and Montreal trying to be the smartest teams in the room is a really bad look with their draft history

Anaheim has at least shown they know what they’re doing

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
This kid is still growing. He could end up at 6’4 or even 6’5. He has excellent tools and hockey iq. Definitely one to follow the next few years.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
All of Anaheim, Columbus and Montreal seem to have held Sennecke in very high regard, but somehow people call him a reach because amateur scouting publications didn't have him as high as the people actually doing this for a job. I'm not saying this as an appeal to authority, but rather that if you're choosing an authority to appeal to, why choose the mediocre one ?

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Arizona and Montreal trying to be the smartest teams in the room is a really bad look with their draft history

Anaheim has at least shown they know what they’re doing

I keep saying, consensus is by definition average. But if consensus is only right about BPA 75% of the time (and that's probably generous), you should be ignoring consensus every 4 years. Remember, consensus means the good scout's opinions get wiped out by the bad ones, and you end up with an opinion that's pretty much just a median scout. To me, that's not something to aspire to.

Thus the above average drafting teams will in fact differ from consensus fairly often. Of course, the bad drafting teams will as well, just that they deviate when the consensus actually has it right.

But given Anaheim's recent history, which group are they likely to be in?

They seem to like very particular types of traits, and maybe it's a bit different than other teams, but it does seem to lead to promising NHL prospects. They also were supposedly down to two guys they felt had separated themselves, which means they would never have traded back more than a single spot anyway.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
A very interesting player. It’s a reach IMO, but there’s massive upside obviously. So much room for growth.

Anyone have a player comparable for him?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I'm getting Kotkaniemi/Hayton vibes with this pick. Late risers who shoot up the draft board often don't pan out or meet expectations. Always should draft the BPA not try to look like the smartest guy in the room.
Could also say Scheifele could be a good late riser, but he worked.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
His potential is the highest in this draft outside of Macklin. Can’t think of a good comparable because he’s an absolute unicorn.

Going to need some time to develop but out of everyone I saw this year, at his peak, he was the most exciting and dominant.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
His mother literally was a TV star.
This makes me laugh because I commented to my friend last night that his mom looks like she has Jo Malone hand soap in her guest bathrooms (fancy rich white lady soap, often found in nicely decorated homes). I had no idea she's an interior designer with a show that aired on the W Network and HGTV.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
All of Anaheim, Columbus and Montreal seem to have held Sennecke in very high regard, but somehow people call him a reach because amateur scouting publications didn't have him as high as the people actually doing this for a job. I'm not saying this as an appeal to authority, but rather that if you're choosing an authority to appeal to, why choose the mediocre one ?
He was 11th on McKenzie’s final draft rankings. He was a reach any way you slice it.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Only 4 posts for one of the biggest risers in the draft? In a draft that is not short of players with high upsides, this guy might have one of the highest. Crazy talent, just needs his body to catch up to his imagination. I think he'll be a top 10 pick. There is too much there to like, even though his point totals are dwarfed by the likes of Catton, Parekh, and Demidov. Hell, Parascak scored 50% more points than him.
Can you send me some stock picks?

Reactions: Yemeth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad