W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To me he's one of the highest risk players in the lottery, the upside is tantalizing but I definitely see the bust potential as well.
I don't see much bust potential, just a late bloomer who might take more time than some of the other prospects. Unlike some of the prospects who are already filled out, he still has plenty of pounds and strength to pack on, once he stops growing.

In other words, don't draft him if you want a guy who you can plug into a NHL lineup ASAP. He will take 3-4 years.

There is a reason he is shooting up the draft boards.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Alright someone has to talk me into the Sennecke hype.

I see a super lanky, kid with a decent shot, decent speed but trouble with his edges.

He does a lot of dipsy doodling with the puck that works in junior but will get him crushed or stripped of the puck in the NHL. A vast majority of his scoring chances come from breakdowns resulting in him getting a breakaway.

I see the size, shot and i know he’s still growing and plays somewhat of a power game, but does he have that dog in him to be a power forward? Or is he more like a Rick Nash type power forward?

I see the upside if he puts it together but I’m not convinced on him.

I much prefer others players in the draft in the top 10.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't see much bust potential, just a late bloomer who might take more time than some of the other prospects. Unlike some of the prospects who are already filled out, he still has plenty of pounds and strength to pack on, once he stops growing.

In other words, don't draft him if you want a guy who you can plug into a NHL lineup ASAP. He will take 3-4 years.

There is a reason he is shooting up the draft boards.

I made a post a few pages back recounting my amateur scouting opinion. Basically he didn't seem to use his teammates much in Oshawa or play efficiently in the system so I'm not sure about his hockey sense. A question like that, combined with a 3-4 year project definitely feels like bust potential imo.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I made a post a few pages back recounting my amateur scouting opinion. Basically he didn't seem to use his teammates much in Oshawa or play efficiently in the system so I'm not sure about his hockey sense. A question like that, combined with a 3-4 year project definitely feels like bust potential imo.
Spot on.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yet he came alive when he got to play with Ritchie after he came back from injury. Seems they had vg chemistry, and were able to play off one another very well, in the last part of the season and into the playoffs.

He looks like a clumsy, weak, uncoordinated kid who falls down a lot at times. He also looks like a bigger than average, skilled player with a vg shot and exciting offensive potential at others.

He reminds me of a faster, less polished Boldy at the same age. Both have(had, in Boldy's case) the baby giraffe thing going on at times, have their legs splay out and fall for no apparent reason, or get knocked over by someone 6" smaller.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Good for the kid but 3 is a little insane. He had a great playoffs but I thought that gave him a good shot at breaking into the top-10, not flying up that much. Just in the CHL alone, there were at least three better or equivalent forward prospects available.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That has to go down as one of the best reactions to being drafted in NHL history. I can't stop smiling. I'll be rooting for this guy
reminds me of when they said Schiefele went way too high at number 7, and he's turning out as one of the best players from the 2011 draft.

What matters is Anahiems scouts likes him and thinks hes a top 3 player in the draft. As we've seen before, lots of top 10 picks will best, so they don't see a reason for not going by their own list. they think its a top 3 pick, and if he fails, scouts will be fired.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What's the argument for drafting him this high? is his ceiling higher than the others?
I think that he started to show flashes of a very special player later in the season, and is perceived to be a late bloomer physically that still hasn't stopped growing and filling out(moreso than most). That's the rationale, but I can't say that i agree with it, even though I like him more than most. I think a #3oa has to have a better resume, or his tools have to be insanely good. Sennecke's tools are good, and project to be really good if everything works out, but they aren't better than some others in this draft like LIndstrom, Levshunov, Dickinson, and his mental game isn't the equal of Celebrini's, Demidov's, Buium's, Parekh's and at least a couple of others. Some of those guys led their teams to Championship games.

I would've traded back and taken a chance that he would be around at 7-8.

I have to emphasize that i really like him, but I think ANA left money on the table with that pick.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m feel bad for him in a way. 3rd overall comes with lofty expectations. Just remember, it’s not his fault if he doesn’t become a player of the same caliber as Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, or even Iginla.

That guy was shocked he was ahead of all those names. I’m rooting for him.

Reactions: Demigod11

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I’m feel bad for him in a way. 3rd overall comes with lofty expectations. Just remember, it’s not his fault if he doesn’t become a player of the same caliber as Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, or even Iginla.

That guy was shocked he was ahead of all those names. I’m rooting for him.
Any 1st round pick can experience this. Pretty much anyone above Pasta for example. That said these late blooming guys who skyrocket up the standings often work out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad