Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
So if the Flyers get VL and Gagne, You are looking at something like,

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Talbot - Laughton - Rinaldo

That's pretty damn good isn't it? Honestly I would start off swapping Simmonds and Voracek, I would love a 2nd line of Schenn - VL - Voracek. I would be confident putting any of those lines out in any situation.

That lineup looks fantastic.

The only issue I have with swapping Simmonds and Voracek is that it puts too much pressure on G.

Hartnell can't carry the puck at all, and Simmonds is slightly better but tries too much with it. It means if that line is going to produce, Giroux has to control the puck the entire time.

Hartnell has that one-timer and they can both crash the net, but Giroux's been most successful when he has a linemate that can help him move the puck around like with Voracek and Jagr, and Timonen on the PP.

Honestly I think he's too small to handle almost all of the puck possession on his own. And it's a waste to put Giroux on a crash-the-net, chip-and-chase line.

Maybe:

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Voracek?

Edit: Seems like it's pretty likely he goes to Dallas. That's too bad.

Last edited:

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
That lineup looks fantastic.

The only issue I have with swapping Simmonds and Voracek is that it puts too much pressure on G.

Hartnell can't carry the puck at all, and Simmonds is slightly better but tries too much with it. It means if that line is going to produce, Giroux has to control the puck the entire time.

Hartnell has that one-timer and they can both crash the net, but Giroux's been most successful when he has a linemate that can help him move the puck around like with Voracek and Jagr, and Timonen on the PP.

Honestly I think he's too small to handle almost all of the puck possession on his own. And it's a waste to put Giroux on a crash-the-net, chip-and-chase line.

Maybe:

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Voracek?

Honestly it probably doesn't matter. Also getting Lecavalier would make the Flyers actually have a 2nd line PP. Everyone thinks Laughton can play the 3rd line. You get him maybe part time in the minors moved up to the 4th line and next season you can roll a Laughton - Couts - Read line or something. As long as its not a massive over payment for Lecavalier, its a free asset of a 60 point Center.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
The only problem I would have with Lecavalier is that he would take Powerplay time away from someone younger.

Hartnell - Giroux - Simmonds
Timonen - Voracek

That's obviously a fine first unit. But there's too many names and not enough spaces for the second unit.

Read
Couturier
Schenn
(Lecavalier)

Streit - Gustafsson

Someone is going to be forced out and it probably won't be the guy that would be our biggest free agent signing. So one of our forwards lose Powerplay time or Gustafsson does if Read plays the point. Either way it could potentially hurt some of our players development.

That's really my only concern. Lecavalier's potential caphit is kind of a factor but with the cap rising and Schenn and Couturier looking like bridge contract candidates it's remedied a little. Read could still be signed as well.

Moving Schenn to wing isn't that much of a concern but it could be a disaster. If it doesn't work out what do we do? Trade Couturier? Absolutely not. The only thing I could see working is playing Lecavalier on the wing but letting him take faceoffs. Not sure how he would feel about that though and since he has all the power in negotiations he could demand playing center from the Flyers or say I'll sign elsewhere.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
‏@aaronward_nhl
Sources saying Dallas Stars no longer believe they are in contention for Lecavalier. #TSN

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I'd love to see vinny here but how realistic is it that he chooses Philly? I don't think this team is ready to win it all anytime soon, even tho adding V.L. makes our playoff chances that much better.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Boston, Philly seem to be two teams left now. Not sure if Washington is in there or not.

Toronto and Montreal are rumored to not want to go term and price on him also.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
Canadiens, Bruins or Flyers at this point, right? I know Eklund said Flyers but I don't buy it unless they made a really nice pitch to Vinny.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I want Vinny here just to see the main boards melt. "UFAs don't like Philly! No security! WAHHH!"

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Flyers sign Vinny for 7 years 29.75 million

Then trade Coburn+Couts+2nd rounder(2014) for Eberle+defensive prospect.

Called it here first.

No chance of happening.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
If he chooses us I think it will be because we offered him more years AND more money per year than anybody else was willing to. We sure love doing that.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
If he chooses us I think it will be because we offered him more years AND more money per year than anybody else was willing to. We sure love doing that.

I'd say we gave him term as opposed to more per year.

We love giving term honestly, and I could see Holmgren giving him 6-7 years to get him under 5.

32m over the course of 7 years? 4.57m/year?

(6 + 6 + 5 + 5 + 4 + 4 + 2)

He's 33 so there's no real issue in 35+ even though it takes him to 40.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What's the smallest numbers they could possibly do for the last three years?

Is capgeek right that contracts of seven years or more are subject to recapture penalties? In that case they would only want to offer him six years.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Does recapture apply to new deals?

The rule states "For all existing SPCs with terms in excess of six (6) years (“long-term contracts”), a “Cap Advantage Recapture” provision will become applicable."

I'm not fluent in legalese. Does this mean only SPCs that existed prior to the new CBA or all SPCs that happen to exist during the life of the CBA?

Regardless, the solution is simple. Six year deal. Let him retire whenever he wants. 6yrs/27m. 4.5m cap hit. Easy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sounds like it doesn't apply to new deals. In that case I think this is more likely for a seven year deal.

6 + 6 + 5 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 3.

No year can be less than 50% of the highest year, so the final year can't be 2.

Of course I'd prefer six years.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Flyers sign Vinny for 7 years 29.75 million

Then trade Coburn+Couts+2nd rounder(2014) for Eberle+defensive prospect.

Called it here first.

No chance of happening.

Wonder if theres a way to substitute coots in that deal

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Canadiens, Bruins or Flyers at this point, right? I know Eklund said Flyers but I don't buy it unless they made a really nice pitch to Vinny.

Canadiens are out.

Bruins and Flyers?

Imagine this washing machine represents a sane NHL offseason...the brick represents Paul Holmgren:

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Apparently Dreger got some text on TSN Drive that points to us per the main boards; whatever that means.

So, of the teams in originally only us, BOS, and FLA are confirmed to be still involved?

Dreger apparently says us though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad